DVDVR Message Board

A General Grand Theft Auto Discussion Thread

I'm a very poor old man, and got an invite to go to a lunch in the next town over today - I said I'd be glad to go, but didn't know if the car would make it.

"I'll pick you up, no problem"

So my friend comes to get me and he's driving this gorgeous metalflake green Audi just like the one Michael drives in single-player, the Tailgater. All I wanted was some sticky bombs to toss at armored cars and I'd be set. I spent the whole trip marking out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

If you read the guy's video, he does say 2024-25 if that makes it any better. He also says pinch of salt a dozen times. Still disheartening. Main reasons given are pretty obvious: still making so much off of GTA Online, want to build up ps5/series user base as it won't be coming out on last gen, want to avoid crunch, and they don't want to delay after making the initial announcement. 

Much like when Axl kept saying Chinese Democracy was a few months away or whatever his timeline was....  I'll believe it, when I have a copy of it in my hands.  

Until then, it's all just clickbait. 

• Like 2

On 6/5/2021 at 5:41 PM, jstout said:

I'm a very poor old man, and got an invite to go to a lunch in the next town over today - I said I'd be glad to go, but didn't know if the car would make it.

"I'll pick you up, no problem"

So my friend comes to get me and he's driving this gorgeous metalflake green Audi just like the one Michael drives in single-player, the Tailgater. All I wanted was some sticky bombs to toss at armored cars and I'd be set. I spent the whole trip marking out.

An armored car pulled up to grab the payroll from Publix yesterday.  I had half a mind to go into my trunk for my assault rifle and sticky bombs until it dawned on me that life is not GTA5.

I don't even know how you guys can stand to play in free mode now that shit is James Bond levels of gadget berserk madness.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 2

The gadgets are mostly harmless. I still can't combat a Mary Lou for shit. Last time I was on, one guy just smacked me around and kept inviting me to a party so he could say "get good, son." I was about 400 levels above him, but we all know that means nothing. Humiliating.

What Stout said. With the exception that if you’re in a car, you’re likely to get blowed up at any moment. If you’re on foot, most of the new stuff is harmless. 

The dots have got much much worse, which is welcome. 

Last time melraz and I were on, we had this same exact conversation at least three times:

this guy is terrible, what level is he?

(pause, followed by laughter) you don’t wanna know

crap. He’s a level three, isn’t he

he ain’t that high

he's a one?

yup

fuck it. They gotta learn sometime 

• Haha 2

Where were the worse dots when I was getting steamrolled by Mary Lou? Grumble grumble grumble...

The flying motorcycles will kill you flat dead if you're in a car. Step out of the car, please, and they will get cocky and try to run you over. That's when you hit 'em with your old buddy shotgun and then gleefully (trust me) blow up their motorcycle. That was the most satisfying kill of my last session on by a big margin.

22 hours ago, jstout said:

Where were the worse dots when I was getting steamrolled by Mary Lou? Grumble grumble grumble...

The flying motorcycles will kill you flat dead if you're in a car. Step out of the car, please, and they will get cocky and try to run you over. That's when you hit 'em with your old buddy shotgun and then gleefully (trust me) blow up their motorcycle. That was the most satisfying kill of my last session on by a big margin.

I like trolling them in the Nightshark. That thing takes 27 missles to blow it up, and the Opressor MKII only has like, 12 or something. So I slow down as they keep firing at me and I Hail Mary a sticky at them and go on my way. 

I'm like John Elway with a Vortex football with those things. 

Melraz and I ran into some serious competition a few days ago, in the form of a random NPC driving a silver SUV.  Took us both out in short order while we were trying to snipe a dot.  Never did get our kills back.

• 2 weeks later...

It what might be considered a sign - Rockstar announced that some car upgrades in the Los Santos Tuners update (coming July 30) will only be available on the PS5 and the Xbox Series X/S

4 minutes ago, jstout said:

Aren't free upgrades available - if you have the PS4 version, doesn't it upgrade to the 5 version for free? Or is Rockstar actually trying to get people to buy the same game three times? 

Buy 3 times, at least for Xbox, apparently.  PS5 gets it for free.

This was from the story I read

Despite being announced over a year ago, we’re still very much in the dark when it comes to what awaits us when Grand Theft Auto V comes to next-gen consoles on November 11. It’s a safe bet that the game, which was first released on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 almost 8 years ago, is going to look a lot better and load a lot faster, but that only accounts for the “enhanced” part of Rockstar’s own “expanded and enhanced” description of the upcoming re-releases.

“The new generation versions of Grand Theft Auto V will feature a range of technical improvements, visual upgrades, and performance enhancements to take full advantage of the latest hardware, making the game more beautiful and more responsive than ever,” Rockstar explained at the time. Official word on the next-gen releases has been similarly vague ever since.

I'm curious if that means Xbox One and Series X/S can't play together whenever this drops.  It's been a nice change from the 360/Xbox One switchover to have the two generations able to play together.

I could care less about losing access to car upgrades.  I haven't raced in years, and cars in general are pretty much useless with 8902347690243876 different kinds of weaponized/flying vehicles packing auto aim missiles.

I do like the idea of tuner meets, though.  I love myself a car show in GTA.  It's a target rich environment.

I'd say the car shows will be protected from folks like yourself and the mayor.

Besides, you couldn't finish one wave of a survival last night without getting killed. Those new survivals are a pain in the ass.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jstout said:

Besides, you couldn't finish one wave of a survival last night without getting killed.

My finest GTA moment.  Dying halfway through round one.  

Still not as funny as our characters fusing behind a semi trailer. Been a long time since i laughed till I cried. 

On 7/20/2021 at 1:53 PM, jstout said:

I'd say the car shows will be protected from folks like yourself and the mayor.

Sadly you're right.  It's all indoors.  Can't bring weapons or run anybody over.

Somebody will figure out how to hack that, and will be my hero.

So this tuners thing has a car you can win.  Deal is you have to place in the top three in one of the new tuner races (locked to the new cars) three days in a row. 

I want the free car, so I'm actually doing a few races again.  Ugh. 

Five plus years of not racing means I've actually got worse at racing than I used to be, and I was crap to begin with.  Unfortunately the car I have is also crap, so I'm doing even worse than expected.  Like getting schooled by people that have done five total races bad.  I figured out real quick that I'm not catching up if somebody has even a decent lead on me.  

So last night I got pitted twice by the same person on the first lap of the race.  I was miles behind after the second one, so I decided to display my annoyance.  So, want to pit me for sixth place (out of seven) do you?  Spent the rest of the race ramming the poor sap.  He had to restart multiple times because I pinned him against things, making it impossible for him to move.  When the race ended he was pinned between my car and a telephone pole, facing the wrong way. Somehow he placed after me, though he was closer to the finish than I was.

Turned out he was the race host.  He put the next race on non contact.  Then he left when it started.  The guy next to me ran over his character as it exited his car.  Then I won the race, somehow beating a guy who had 1600 race wins and only about 200 losses by more than 20 seconds.  Then I got to quit racing for the day

That's what victory is like in GTA in 2021.

In my racing crew flirtation, nobody pitted you on purpose, but I was dead guaranteed to finish last. Hell, I'd get lapped. I decided to save the racing for the Forza Horizon games and stick to what I do best - get killed by dots.

No car would be worth the trouble for me. Plus you know they'll put it on sale three months from now if they haven't already.

Oh, it's for sale now.  However, I'm cheap.  And it costs less if you jump through the hoop.  

I don't even try to race if there's a bunch of high levels.  The races where there's two guys above 100, and a couple level 10s are more my speed.  If I had to win I wouldn't bother, but I can usually manage a third place in a race with only three people in it.