DVDVR Message Board

NXT Takeover XXV - Bridgeport, CT - 6/1/2019

Dolfan in NYC

This was the worst Takeover I've ever seen.

Cole vs Gargano was a classic in that it invented ways a wrestling match could be terrible in ways I didn't even know existed. 

You can't even blame Vince for this. If this is what the WWE is going to look like when HHH takes over, I hope Vince lives until he's 120.

Edited by Overly Critical Man
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Opening match was great. I'm guessing Riddle is going to be Cole's first challenger.

Tag match wasn't bad but nothing new in terms of ladder match spotfests.

Dream/Breeze was fine but would have been better on a weekly NXT episode. 

The women's title match was really good. I can't tell if that was supposed to be a heel turn by Io at the end.

I didn't have much of an interest in the main event and it took every piece of the overbooked forced epic formula and cranked it up several notches. Absolute tosh. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Opening match was great. I'm guessing Riddle is going to be Cole's first challenger.

Tag match wasn't bad but nothing new in terms of ladder match spotfests.

Dream/Breeze was fine but would have been better on a weekly NXT episode. 

The women's title match was really good. I can't tell if that was supposed to be a heel turn by Io at the end.

I didn't have much of an interest in the main event and it took every piece of the overbooked forced epic formula and cranked it up several notches. Absolute tosh. 

Pretty much. It felt like those forced epics with HHH, Shawn Michaels, and the Undertaker that are so epic I can't remember anything about them. I like Cole and Gargano, but it even got too much for me with Gargano kicking out of the Panama Sunrise on the floor.

I wasn't that into Dream/Breeze since the outcome was a foregone conclusion.

Strong/Riddle and Shayna/Io were my favorite matches. The ladder match was a fun demolition derby that they usually are.

Minus the main, this was a pretty good show with Riddle vs Strong being fantastic. 

Gargano/Cole was an amalgamation of what I hate about the “get my shit in” choreographed style of wrestling today. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

That didn’t seem like something a face would do but I think that’s just setting up a no holds barred match. 

Show was alright. Favorite matches were the opener and women’s match. Didn’t have much investment in who would win the matches (I really like Io but still am annoyed the sky pirates didn’t debut on the main roster and asuka stick in the women’s title scene). 

I didn't see the tag match yet.

Dream-Breeze was good I suppose, but it just feels like Breeze lost and was ultimately content to lose. Dream actually won a bit dirty, but I guess noone really cares about that stuff these days. I dunno, it felt off to me.

Io looked like an idiot watching the shenanigans going on outside. Yeah she got her heat back in a way that Tyler didn't, but the way she transitioned from the Magistral to a strategically bad position also made her look like an idiot. I'm guessing they'll do a rematch with plunder or something, maybe in a cage.

I'd probably have to see that main-event again to be sure but it definitely seemed a bit much. It felt like Cole was going over.

It definitely wasn't the most satisfying Takeover.

Riddle/Strong was quite good.

Ladder match was fun though lost a bit of steam when they kept going after Ryker. Still nice to see the Street Profits as champs.

Dream/Breeze was good though it didn't feel as big as it probably should have.

Shayna/Io was unsurprisingly good though there were a few moments that made Io look dumb. Still I love d the post match beatdown. Hopefully we get a rematch with Io winning.

Cole/Gargano had some nice moments, but was definitely overkill. 

Not a strong Takeover though still pretty solid with at least three matches I would label as good if even though two of didn't quite reach the levels I was hoping for.

Did people watch the same show as others? I thought this show was fantastic (aside from that brief moment where it looked like The Forgotten Sons might win). 

That ladder match might be the most insane thing they've done in a while. I'm really gonna be surprised if O'Reily and Fish weren't seriously hurt in the match. At the end Fish had a arm brace on, but I'm hoping it's nothing major. But wow, The Forgotten Sons can suck the heat out of a building. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Now in the right thread.

Im a miserable Blues fan who hates melodramatic forced epic wrestling. Should I hate watch the main?

You are already in a bad mood, might as well watch it now, instead of putting yourself into another bad mood in the future.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ComingToAmerica said:

Io looked like an idiot watching the shenanigans going on outside. Yeah she got her heat back in a way that Tyler didn't, but the way she transitioned from the Magistral to a strategically bad position also made her look like an idiot. I'm guessing they'll do a rematch with plunder or something, maybe in a cage.

I enjoyed Io/Shayna too but, as soon as I saw the positioning of that pin attempt, I knew what was up. lol But I dug the post-match antics and look forward to the rematch. 

If Gargano never has another Takeover match it'll be too soon.

Love what he did in DIY & his match with Andrade was so so good at the time but damn does that guy just force everything now. 

How long til I get my Keith Lee main event run??

• Thanks 1

Kind of a meh Takeover overall but they can't all be zingers.

Not really sure what's left for Gargano. I guess a rubber match with Cole but no clue what he does on the main roster. Sad to say I'd almost rather he end up on 205 Live since we'll actually see him wrestle vs Raw or Smackdown.

• Like 1

I kind of forgot this was on so I just finished it up. Opening match was fine. I really dug Dream/Breeze and I agree that Tyler should have been more angry about the finish.

Ladder match was fun but looked dangerous as hell and Fish coming out later with the brace isn't a good sign. Montez died for our sins with that dive on Ryker.

Io always said that while she wanted to be the champ, this was personal for her since the attack on Kairi so the attack after the match makes sense to me. Did Io do hardcore matches in Japan?

Guess I need to give Cole and Gargano 10 in all defense categories in Fire Pro now. ?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

Io always said that while she wanted to be the champ, this was personal for her since the attack on Kairi so the attack after the match makes sense to me. Did Io do hardcore matches in Japan?

She did an explosive deathmatch for the first time last year. I think that is it for hardcore type of matches.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Anyone else in the house tonight??? 

Not this time how was it?  Had a blast at NXT Takeover: New York.  

I just got done watching the show.   I think I gotta give Roddy and Riddle the MOTN.  That was spectacular.  I'm very pleased with the Street Profits winning. 

• Like 1

For some reason, I've lost the ability to become emotionally invested in Gargano matches.

Riddle-v-Strong was my favorite. Everything else outside of the main was good.

• Like 2

Riddle vs Strong was the MOTN no doubt. Riddle was great but that was a coming out party for Roddy. He looked almost flawless in it and I"m looking forward to his feud with Cole.

The tag match was the usual ladder match craziness. Felt bad for poor O'Reilly taking those nutty bumps that I thought Oney would take. First time I liked the Forgotten Sons as they really stepped up. Especially Blake. As someone that was there for Dawkins debut, seeing the Street Profits win was nice. 

How some of you people feel about Gargano is how I feel about Shayna. I find her run as champ to be just terrible. It's just ruined the division. She should have dropped the title to Bianca months ago and already been on the main roster where she can have shitty matches with Charlotte.

Dream/Breeze would have been better off at Full sail. I'm not sure how Breeze is going to be over outside of that building.  The match was fine I guess.

The main event was the usual bloated Gargano match. Glad Cole won and hopefully, after another rematch, this is it for Gargano in the main events. 

One of the lesser takeovers but it was still fun. Well, except for Mauro's god awful commentary. I thought Beth was gonna deck him when he kept interrupting her. 

• Like 2