DVDVR Message Board

[NXT TV] MAY 1, 2019 (Spoiler Free)

turk128

33 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Yes it was.

I don't recall seeing Mansoor before today, but after his matches with Banks NXT UK and Dijakovic in regular NXT I want to see more of him.

Mansoor had that sick bump and he plays a great babyface.

I cannot wait for Kushida to throw down with the UK guys.

When the NXT spoilers came out before the recent ones, there was something I looked forward to seeing and it aired here:

I hope the Velveteen Dream gets a long reign as NXT North American Champion and goes on to become NXT Champion as well. Dream Over. 

Kushida debuted beating Kassisus Ohno.

• Like 2

Okay, I need someone to sell me on 1-2 because to me, they're Cesaro without the charisma.  Yes, they hit hard and scream a lot, but I'm not getting much of a reason to care beyond that. They're like plain yogurt, healthy, but so bland. 

God, at least I hate the Forgotten Sons because they are terrible at their jobs and are playing re-treads of every biker character for the last 20 years. 

I wish Dream could actually sing...  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Okay, I need someone to sell me on 1-2 because to me, they're Cesaro without the charisma.  Yes, they hit hard and scream a lot, but I'm not getting much of a reason to care beyond that. They're like plain yogurt, healthy, but so bland. 

God, at least I hate the Forgotten Sons because they are terrible at their jobs and are playing re-treads of every biker character for the last 20 years. 

I wish Dream could actually sing...  

I think he took singing lessons from Rob Zombie.

• Haha 1

• Dolfan in NYC changed the title to [NXT TV] MAY 1, 2019 (Spoiler Free)
26 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Hopefully, Dream doesn't start making shitty movies* as well. 

*The Devil's Rejects is the one exception.

That no one in wrestling has ripped off my pal Bill Mosley's character from The Devil's Rejects is a terrible missed opportunity. Mosley's a hell of a fun guy, some years back he Edward Lee and myself were judging the Gross Out Contest at the World Horror Convention, (idea being write a scene that can be presented in two minutes or less that will gross out the audience, Lee and I became permanent judges after winning three times in a row). After some lackluster entries the crowd started asking for the "corn-on-the-cob" scene from Goon. Goon as you should know is a horror novel about PRO WRESTLING, however, the scene in question features sodomy, bodily functions, and undigested vegetables. I really needn't say more except to frame it as being talked about by the character of Micah Hayes, a redneck Sheriff's deputy with insatiable urges, many of which he satisfies and describes at great length to anyone foolish enough to listen.

Anyway, I started reading the scene and being a Seattle boy, my Georgia backwoods accent leaves a bit to be desired. I stopped and said "What the hell am I doing? There's someone here that does crazed redneck better than I ever could... Bill, would you do the honors?" Mosley did the scene and then two others from the book and fucking blew the roof off the joint. Good times.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rick said:

Liked everything about Kushida's presentation but wasn't a fan of the match, actually, aside from the Ospreay matches Kushida is kinda boring to me.

Velveteen continues to be the crown jewel of the show.

I wonder where they're going with UE. Roddy going solo would be disastrous.

I wasn't a big fan of Kushida/Ohno. It felt very awkward, but I would chalk that up to them being unfamiliar with each other. It would make sense that the two have never worked together with Kushida being in New Japan.

I don't think Roderick is getting split from UE. My guess is the dissension being teased between he and Adam Cole is a ruse. With Cole going after the nxt title and Fish/O'Reilly going after the tag titles, I could see Roderick going after Velveteen and the NA title.

While I thought the match was fine overall and I like both guys I don't know if Ohno was the right choice for Kushida's debut. 

I am probably in the minority but I thought the Velveteen Dream segment was cringe worthy. I muted it towards the end. Dija-awkward name change-standing there like a doofus with a blank expression didn't help.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, quackhell said:

Dija-awkward name change-standing there like a doofus with a blank expression didn't help.

I thought Dija was corpsing a lil, trying to not laugh and stay in character.

And I can't believe Velveteen and his couch floozies hasn't been criticized, love it thou.

• Like 1

The Dream segment was the best NXT segment since Bo Dallas ruled out TV sets. That was pretty great. I just love the conceit of Dream so much -- like he's hanging out on a couch backstage with two loose women. And when he sees whoever he's beefing with have a match, he has them wheel him out so he can taunt his foe. And, also, he has the ability to turn music/lights on and off with the snap of his fingers. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I wasn't a big fan of Kushida/Ohno. It felt very awkward, but I would chalk that up to them being unfamiliar with each other. It would make sense that the two have never worked together with Kushida being in New Japan.

I don't think Roderick is getting split from UE. My guess is the dissension being teased between he and Adam Cole is a ruse. With Cole going after the nxt title and Fish/O'Reilly going after the tag titles, I could see Roderick going after Velveteen and the NA title.

As much as I usually hate the usual bullshit of "We were just pretending to be fighting" amongst heels, I think this is where we are heading and I'm ok with this. Hell, Roddy joining UE in the first place was part of a ruse anyway, wasn't it? The idea of the Era going full Horsemen and winning all the titles is too good a proposition to pass up

• Like 2

On 5/2/2019 at 5:24 PM, quackhell said:

While I thought the match was fine overall and I like both guys I don't know if Ohno was the right choice for Kushida's debut. 

I am probably in the minority but I thought the Velveteen Dream segment was cringe worthy. I muted it towards the end. Dija-awkward name change-standing there like a doofus with a blank expression didn't help.

I am on the cringe-worthy team too. That whole thing was just... weird...  and did nothing to make me want to see DD/Dream.

Mansoor being a babyface here immediately after being a heel on this week's UK was funny.

• Like 1

Yeah, Dream having his own version of the anthem is a great idea in theory, but it was horrible in execution.  They definitely shouldn't have gone there if he couldn't sing, like, at all.  Singing badly is a heel gimmick.

• Like 1

Laughed out loud at Stokely filming the Yim/Belair Performance Center altercation on his phone. That's exactly what any of us would do in real life if we came upon that situation. lol