DVDVR Message Board

AEW Double or Nothing - 5/25/2019

I'm not interested in discussing if their politics are right or wrong, but if people don't think hiring Nyla Rose is an expression of politics, I'm not sure how to address this at all. Their work with KultureCity is political. Fight for the Fallen is political.

Politics isn't just a left vs right dichotomy. Diversity is a political issue.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Everything is political but we have shown time and again that we are not prepared to remain civil when discussing it. Next time you hear yourself say "I know we don't talk about politics BUT..." just stop and think about how well that goes in the past. I don't want another fucking aew thread derailed and locked.

Typically it takes about 4 or 5 days to get approximate ppv numbers, correct? I'm sure AEW was thrilled with Meltzer's 200k guesstimate because anything below that will seem disappointing now. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

I thought Hiroo Onada was the last of the holdouts fighting WWII, but West Newbury Bad Boy’s heroic tale is inspiring. Too bad Churchill isn’t around to relieve him of his duties. 

Would Nazi Heidenreich count eventhough he was cryogenically frozen?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

15 minutes ago, Infinit said:

In my opinion, Dusty's greatest promo, ever.

I honestly don't think it needs the "Dusty's" qualifier.

-------

You know what's amazing about Cody? He's made that damn theme song of his absolutely prophetic.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I honestly don't think it needs the "Dusty's" qualifier.

-------

You know what's amazing about Cody? He's made that damn theme song of his absolutely prophetic.

I think Cody might have my favorite entrance music. The lyrics are perfect for him and I think it could fit him as a smug heel or top babyface.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I think Cody might have my favorite entrance music. The lyrics are perfect for him and I think it could fit him as a smug heel or top babyface.

Did Downstait write it for him? That bit about his father saying hard times breed better men is awfully coincidental if not. But he really did keep his freedom, and now he's building a kingdom. Good for him.

He might be the best guy right now at bouncing between heel and face. He's been in the emotional centerpiece match of both All In and DON, on both sides of the aisle.

Can we get away from the politics plz just to talk about how Jimmy Havoc is one of the least intimidating wrestlers to ever walk the Earth? Seriously, homeboy is 75/25 entrance gear/plunder. 

(And I say this as a dude who had a pretty good encounter with him once chatting about the Salem witch trials)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Can we get away from the politics plz just to talk about how Jimmy Havoc is one of the least intimidating wrestlers to ever walk the Earth? Seriously, homeboy is 75/25 entrance gear/plunder. 

(And I say this as a dude who had a pretty good encounter with him once chatting about the Salem witch trials)

A staple gun helps make him scarier, I guess?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

giphy.gif

Edit:

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Would have been way better without the smoke and he just went HAM on it with repeated blows. 

Heard them both on the BTE that was posted. It sounded, and looks a lot better with the pyro. Remember it’s a prop. It’s going to sound like shit unless they go with live Foley work.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

5 hours ago, Rick said:

Lol. Where's the data that supports this?

You don't think AEW is prioritizing the 18-35 demographic? When that was the core demo for wrestling's most lucrative years, when the median WWE fan is over 50 these days?

What do people think "millennial" means?

I'll say this much..   the NJPW/ROH @ MSG was mostly people around my age or younger but not a lot of kids. It seemed like a younger demo but every WWE show I've been to in the last couple years was people of all ages, families..  etc.    so I'm not sure if live attendance mirrors TV viewing audience. The WWE shows haven't been a bunch of 50-year old dudes. 

Every Indy show I've gone to in the last five years seems to be folks 20-40, with a handful of older folks and a few kiddos. Progress had an extended dude-kissing sequence between Trent Seven, Pete Dunne, and John Gresham that went over like crazy, and after a "this is Progress! clap clap clapclapclap" chant, my buddy drunkenly yelled "ACTUALLY PROGRESS WOULD BE UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE!" and got a good buncha laughs. 

So, completely anecdotally, I see a lot of liberal-leaning millennials being part of the current wrestling fan base. 

Edited by christopher.annino

9 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

I am partial to "Violence for the sake of violence" but it's like choosing between your children. 

If only the promos could wrestle. BLEED~ and wrestle.

In regards to the demographic stuff, I think I was mid-consciously referencing this: https://uproxx.com/prowrestling/wwe-viewership-demographics-age-study/

...and referencing the idea that the word "millennial" somehow reads as a set of stereotyped behaviors and values instead of every twenty-and-thirtysomething in the country, those of us who grew up on the exact rift of pre-and-post internet culture and have inherited all the complications of that fact. If you're thirty-two and decide you're not a millennial because you reject sushi burritos and are told to hate AOC a half-dozen times a day, I've got bad news for you.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2

The last wwe house show I went to had tons of kids and families (I like that vibe). Haven't been to a tv taping or ppv in many years. Nxt house shows, the California new Japan shows and this show are mostly people in their 20s-30s, with a good amount in 40s-50s. 

This was the most fun crowd I've been at a wrestling show with. Just a super fun show and great crowd. I was really looking forward to it and I'd say it exceeded my expectations.

• Like 2