DVDVR Message Board

AEW Double or Nothing - 5/25/2019

14 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

giphy.gif

Ice to see you, Jae.

But for real, I really thought the throne thing was dumb but I also don't think me feeling that way matters because it popped the crowd huge.  People were happy. I don't always have to be one of those people.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

If the "storylines" are hidden in garbage Youtube videos where I have to watch stuff like Matt and Nick dragging ass around an airport, they can keep their context and I'm happy to pick things up from the shows. Not the travel vlog/jerkoff internet comedy show. The actual wrestling show.

If it's stupid in the show, it's stupid. Take your supplemental content and whistle Dixie. They took their shot and a lot of people rolled their eyes. Crying context will change nobody's mind. They made their impression.

I guess this actually opens up a larger conversation:

One of the things that (I think universally, but if I'm wrong, someone smarten me up) is most complained about with WWE are the massive amounts of recaps and replays and that sort of thing. But on the flip side, you have a situation like this where you feel the context wasn't enough because it didn't happen on their TV (which, to be fair, hasn't yet debuted). Im not a BTE watcher myself, but I was able to sort of glean what the intent was just having seen what happened on the PPV. Now, I'm not saying anything negative about you for having not understood, but I do think it will be interesting to see how they strike this balance of "Here's an annoying amount of background" and "everyone watching knows who this is and what it means." I think the weekly TV can only improve upon that, but maybe it's too early to say. All of this is to say that, given that this was the first show, I think what you're saying is a fair criticism, but maybe also a little harsh. They're definitely going to learn as time goes on- they have to.

I didn't have a problem with it, and I got it since I've followed BTE for a long time and the Nightmare Family channel, but I agree with the opinion that what we ended up getting was pretty cheesy. Mainly due to the effects they added, though.

@Zakk_Sabbath The Young Bucks said on the episode before Double Or Nothing that they aren't sure if they can still do Being The Elite once the TV show starts and the promotion kicks into full gear. So, if it doesn't, you won't have lingering storylines from the YouTube series carrying over to the actual on-screen stuff. I suspect BTE will stop once their debut on TNT happens, and the finale for it (and everything they've built on the show since and leading up to it) will happen once All Out occurs. That's a fitting end, I think.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

I can't see them continuing BTE. Not in it's current form anyway. I think it would be cool to do as a behind the scenes feature once a month or something, basically what this week's BTE was.

I could see BTE in the form of skits and "stories" probably be taken up by some others on the roster and being given a different name. Maybe Dustin and Greg and others do it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I guess this actually opens up a larger conversation:

One of the things that (I think universally, but if I'm wrong, someone smarten me up) is most complained about with WWE are the massive amounts of recaps and replays and that sort of thing. But on the flip side, you have a situation like this where you feel the context wasn't enough because it didn't happen on their TV (which, to be fair, hasn't yet debuted). Im not a BTE watcher myself, but I was able to sort of glean what the intent was just having seen what happened on the PPV. Now, I'm not saying anything negative about you for having not understood, but I do think it will be interesting to see how they strike this balance of "Here's an annoying amount of background" and "everyone watching knows who this is and what it means." I think the weekly TV can only improve upon that, but maybe it's too early to say. All of this is to say that, given that this was the first show, I think what you're saying is a fair criticism, but maybe also a little harsh. They're definitely going to learn as time goes on- they have to.

Just from what was on the screen and what the commentators were saying, I got enough to get the point. The notion that anyone who isn't a BTE obsessive doesn't have an informed take is lunacy, as you yourself also know. 

I like your other point though. WWE over replays everything, even when there's barely any there there. I don't want that out of AEW. If I sound harsh, it's only in response to the expectation that I need to watch hours upon hours of shitty meme-factory nonsense to "get it." As if I need a road map to get to the point of heavy-handed symbolism. 

But yeah, there's a healthy medium between what WWE does (which is awful), and "Watch our web series! Like and subscribe! You better check out our PWT store!", which TNT will help make less necessary. 

45 minutes ago, Craig H said:

A lot of people dug it too. Just because you didn't, Raziel didn't, or whatever the fuck doesn't mean most people did. You're just talking about some fucking people on DVDVR when the overwhelming opinion anywhere else, including the paying customers in the arena, thought it was a cool moment and they liked it.

It would be really cool if people would stop taking the extremely small sample size of 3 or 4 people on DVDVR and making it sound like that's reflective of a larger sampling of the audience.

If you want me to go out into the wild and take a head count of other people who thought it was lame, I could do that. I won't, because why bother? But it's not just 3 or 4 people on this board.

I'm keenly aware many people liked it. But the people who are inclined to put their head in the sand and not listen to how corny some find these guys to be are quite possibly in for a rude awakening down the line. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

If the "storylines" are hidden in garbage Youtube videos where I have to watch stuff like Matt and Nick dragging ass around an airport, they can keep their context and I'm happy to pick things up from the shows. Not the travel vlog/jerkoff internet comedy show. The actual wrestling show.

If it's stupid in the show, it's stupid. Take your supplemental content and whistle Dixie. They took their shot and a lot of people rolled their eyes. Crying context will change nobody's mind. They made their impression.

Why are you so in your feelings about this?

I love it when both sides of a disagreement insist that theirs is the majority viewpoint.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Good stuff. When all else fails, tone policing! 

What has failed?  I don’t recall trying to convince you of anything.  Or even talking to you before you quoted me.

1 minute ago, AxB said:

I love it when both sides of a disagreement insist that theirs is the majority viewpoint.

I know I'm in the minority. When you find one of those disagreements, let me know. 

Just now, EVA said:

What has failed?  I don’t recall trying to convince you of anything.  Or even talking to you before you quoted me.

I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were having a private conversation out here in the middle of an active thread. Carry on. I'll give you and the other guy some alone time. 

4 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

So I've got to follow some bullshit vlog to understand the reference? Me, a fan who has been drawn to the buzz of the promotion without having any real experience watching any of the marquee names? That makes it doubly fucking lame

How were you drawn to the buzz of the promotion? I assume through internet websites. Their YouTube show is an extension of that. Not defending the throne thing but WWE has also taken shots at AEW so it didn't trigger me like it did some other folks. 

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Not defending the throne thing but WWE has also taken shots at AEW so it didn't trigger me like it did some other folks. 

The shots WWE takes are lame too. Just to be clear. They're all cheesy. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

7 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I know I'm in the minority. When you find one of those disagreements, let me know. 

There's this thing called Politics...