DVDVR Message Board

AEW Double or Nothing - 5/25/2019

12 minutes ago, The Natural said:

One thing I’ve realized coming from behind the scenes stuff, and interviews is how overworked Cody is being a worker, and a co-captain steering the ship. It’s going to be an adventure for him when TV starts up. Shame he’s too young, and over to retire full-time from the ring to focus on running the company.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Just now, LoneWolf&Subs said:

One thing I’ve realized coming from behind the scenes stuff, and interviews is how overworked Cody is being a worker, and a co-captain steering the ship. It’s going to be adventure when TV starts up. Shame he’s too young, and over to retire full-time from the ring to focus on the running the company.

He was saying that was what smashing the Triple H throne was about, him not being ready for Triple H's career/job as a part time wrestler and mostly executive. 

• Like 3

Just catching up on the show, enjoying it so far but... is having a nodnodwinkwink throne specially constructed for your entrance, despite it having no relation to the character or build-up to your match whatsoever, only to smash it, the most passive-aggressive money-smark thing that's ever happened in wrestling in recent times? It was fucking laaaaame

Edited by CreativeControl
  • Like 8

So Nyla Rose, she's green. Yes, she's been wrestling since 2013, but she's had less than 150 matches. If you want to argue she's been signed on potential rather than ability, that's an argument you can make. And if you really need someone to teach a young monster-style wrestler how to work as a monster, how to have a compelling 'could go either way' match as a monster, how to bump and sell for a smaller opponent without compromising your unstoppable aura... Aja Kong and Awesome Kong are both really good at that. Mostly because Aja taught Awesome how to do it. To soon to write her off.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

Just catching up on the show, enjoying it so far but... is having a nodnodwinkwink throne specially constructed for your entrance, despite it having no relation to the character or build-up to your match whatsoever, only to smash it, the most passive-aggressive money-smark thing that's ever happened in wrestling in recent times? It was fucking laaaaame

For the record, H spent a good chunk of BTE last year trying to sign the Elite and infected Cody with the money shakes (which Chris Daniels had to exorcise).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just caught Dustin vs Cody. Back half was pretty tremendous. I had my doubts about the blood with the red facepaint but there were moments where his entire face was just red with the blood and it was very striking. I'm not sure Brandi had to do the spear to get ejected as opposed to something else, but whatever. There wasn't an ebb and a flow towards the end so much as a stunned hush. The middle section, which included the curb stomp and the strap, was the most effective to me. I thought they slipped away from actually trying to fight each other and into trading moves by the end. It was still okay though because you could believe it as sort of oneupsmanship or even Cody just wanting to end things and Dustin stubbornly trying to hang with him. I'm just not sure it was the best utilization of the blood as opposed to continuing the brawling. That works better in my head than on the screen. 

Also, you guys are a bunch of bastards for giving me crap for five years. Look at the first half of the match. I'm right. Cody's wooden when actually in motion. Is there anyone majorly pushed in wrestling history with any athletic prowess who is worse at taking Irish Whips? I don't remember him being nearly that bad with them before. It's like a guy trudging through molasses. Cody is absolutely someone who's better off taking it slow and methodological and letting things sink in. He's gotten pretty good at that and frankly it's a niche (and a wonderful one) that's not otherwise being filled. He's really not good at emoting while doing anything halfway athletic. It's like a guy trying to remember his dance steps in his head instead of living in the moment. 

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, EVA said:

For the record, H spent a good chunk of BTE last year trying to sign the Elite and infected Cody with the money shakes (which Chris Daniels had to exorcise).

So I've got to follow some bullshit vlog to understand the reference? Me, a fan who has been drawn to the buzz of the promotion without having any real experience watching any of the marquee names? That makes it doubly fucking lame

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, EVA said:

Can we also stop calling these dudes or Tony a money mark? It seems so dumb to throw around that label when he's the opposite of a money mark. The only part of that that applies is money. 

Anyway, the other part about the bitching about the throne smashing is that it completely ignores anything HHH has said on WWE TV about AEW. People make it sound like WWE is innocent when they're not.

Lastly, regarding the dude you quoted, I wouldn't have even seen that post if you didn't quote him. Seeing that just makes me wonder what anyone actually watches and if they should comment on shit they don't watch or keep up with. It's entirely in character for Cody to smash the throne. It's entirely part of the storyline for the match. The point of the match was Cody killing the attitude era and HHH is one of the biggest figures of that era and beyond, not to mention what you said and how that played into things too.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

So I've got to follow some bullshit vlog to understand the reference? Me, a fan who has been drawn to the buzz of the promotion without having any real experience watching any of the marquee names? That makes it doubly fucking lame

Yes, it’s totally strange that following the weekly show helps you understand what’s happening on the PPV.  Unheard of in this industry.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Can we also stop calling these dudes or Tony a money mark? It seems so dumb to throw around that label when he's the opposite of a money mark. The only part of that that applies is money.

All capitalists are Money Marks.

However, I would like to congratulate Cody, The Bucks and Kenny for seizing the means of production.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Anyway, the other part about the bitching about the throne smashing is that it completely ignores anything HHH has said on WWE TV about AEW. People make it sound like WWE is innocent when they're not.

a) We won't stop and you know it 

b) It can make sense and be lame at the same time. It was cheesy.

2 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

So I've got to follow some bullshit vlog to understand the reference? 

I'm on your side. The vlog is corny and dull. TV can't get here fast enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I couldn’t care less whether someone liked the throne deal or not.  That comes down to personal preference.  But you can’t come in here claiming that it didn’t make sense with Cody’s character or storyline...and then in the next breath admit that you don’t watch the show that establishes the character and storyline.  You have no clue.  Just say it wasn’t to your taste and move on.  Don’t invent some bullshit justification.

Edited by EVA
  • Thanks 2

Lets not forget Triple H took shots at them during the DX HOF Speech.

I think if the throne would have fell into itself when it started to smoke it wouldn't be so divisive of a topic.. Once that smoke cleared and you could clearly see the throne unharmed thats when it looked cheesy. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Lets not forget Triple H took shots at them during the DX HOF Speech.

I think if the throne would have fell into itself when it started to smoke it wouldn't be so divisive of a topic.. Once that smoke cleared and you could clearly see the throne unharmed thats when it looked cheesy. 

The destruction of the throne looked better during the rehearsals they showed on BTE.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EVA said:

I couldn’t care less whether someone liked the throne deal or not.  That comes down to personal preference.  But you can’t come in here claiming that it didn’t make sense with Cody’s character or storyline...and then in the next breath admit that you don’t watch the show that establishes the character and storyline.  You have no clue.  Just say it wasn’t to your taste and move on.  Don’t invent some bullshit justification.

If the "storylines" are hidden in garbage Youtube videos where I have to watch stuff like Matt and Nick dragging ass around an airport, they can keep their context and I'm happy to pick things up from the shows. Not the travel vlog/jerkoff internet comedy show. The actual wrestling show.

If it's stupid in the show, it's stupid. Take your supplemental content and whistle Dixie. They took their shot and a lot of people rolled their eyes. Crying context will change nobody's mind. They made their impression.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

If the "storylines" are hidden in garbage Youtube videos where I have to watch stuff like Matt and Nick dragging ass around an airport, they can keep their context and I'm happy to pick things up from the shows. Not the travel vlog/jerkoff internet comedy show. The actual wrestling show.

If it's stupid in the show, it's stupid. Take your supplemental content and whistle Dixie. They took their shot and a lot of people rolled their eyes. Crying context will change nobody's mind. They made their impression.

It's like a New Order rose up inbetween installments of a popular movie franchise, but the only way you'll learn how is to read book.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

A lot of people dug it too. Just because you didn't, Raziel didn't, or whatever the fuck doesn't mean most people did. You're just talking about some fucking people on DVDVR when the overwhelming opinion anywhere else, including the paying customers in the arena, thought it was a cool moment and they liked it.

It would be really cool if people would stop taking the extremely small sample size of 3 or 4 people on DVDVR and making it sound like that's reflective of a larger sampling of the audience.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Casey said:

The destruction of the throne looked better during the rehearsals they showed on BTE.

I also agree with this. I'm sure they went with the smoke effect to play to people in the cheap seats, but on TV, it would have been more effective to just smash the fucking thing with the sledgehammer like in rehearsal.

As it is, it was still cool.