DVDVR Message Board

AEW Double or Nothing - 5/25/2019

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Can we get away from the politics plz just to talk about how Jimmy Havoc is one of the least intimidating wrestlers to ever walk the Earth? Seriously, homeboy is 75/25 entrance gear/plunder. 

How intimidating was New Jack?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Can we get away from the politics plz just to talk about how Jimmy Havoc is one of the least intimidating wrestlers to ever walk the Earth? Seriously, homeboy is 75/25 entrance gear/plunder. 

(And I say this as a dude who had a pretty good encounter with him once chatting about the Salem witch trials)

If you want a good example of how great Jimmy Havoc is, check out his initial heel turn in Progress Wrestling.  Here's a decent vid that gives the barest edge of it:  

It's worth the watch for all of it.  I think if they start him off small and let him repeat that story while he works his way into being a fan favorite only to do a big turn...

Could be really awesome to watch.  Or they could do something else.  Could be mucho fun, regardless.

• Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm not interested in discussing if their politics are right or wrong, but if people don't think hiring Nyla Rose is an expression of politics, I'm not sure how to address this at all. Their work with KultureCity is political. Fight for the Fallen is political.

Politics isn't just a left vs right dichotomy. Diversity is a political issue.

The problem with citing diversity in employment as a political issue is when people think of it as a checklist that needs to be fulfilled. That often leads to those who are marginalized being treated as though they're being handed something they haven't earned by their peers, or are often harassed to the point where they need to leave, or are let go once they reveal their truth. I've had all three happen to me. I've been promoted at my current job and had people tell me to my face that I didn't deserve the position and it was given to me because I was open about being trans. I was forcibly outed at one job and was relentlessly mocked by co-workers to the point where I had to leave (and the experience closeted me for a few years). I once lost a job when I came out to HR since I was going to start transitioning, and 20 minutes later I was let go for "no longer being a fit for the corporate culture" and walked out of the building by security.

And frankly, that's the bigger problem. Diversity isn't just in hiring someone, it's in treating them equitably for their work and retaining their services if they're a good employee. It doesn't matter if you've hired a trans person if they're not afforded the same protections and considerations as any other employee. It's not the same thing as making jokes about someone's sports team, or if they got a haircut that looks silly and you give them a little ribbing over it.

I'd love for it to not be a political issue because, while I can't speak for all trans folks, I can safely say I'm all caps OVER IT. I just want to live comfortably and do the things I enjoy doing. I'd be willing to bet Nyla Rose feels the same way.

29 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Are you kidding me? Being in his presence, you could sense the ice cold blood pumping through his veins. 

No, that would be blow.

• Haha 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
12 minutes ago, Casey said:

Being The Elite is teasing Moxley/Janela and I'm here for it.

A battle royale probably isn't the best spotlight to see someone for the first time, and this was the first time I've seen Janela. What's out there that's worth checking out? He doesn't land on his neck and get cigarettes stapled to his head frequently, does he?

1 minute ago, Stefanie the Human said:

A battle royale probably isn't the best spotlight to see someone for the first time, and this was the first time I've seen Janela. What's out there that's worth checking out? He doesn't land on his neck and get cigarettes stapled to his head frequently, does he?

Actually, yeah, he kinda does.  He's working an 80's hair band trash gimmick and basically does insane spots to get heat.  He's just coming off surgery when he blew out his ACL doing a ridiculous dive.

He does spike himself quite often, yeah. The cigarette thing, not so much.

Not a match, but this is very well done:

His match with Page from All In was good. Darby Allin last year in Evolve was probably my favourite. I find his worst tendencies are exacerbated in PWG, so I really can't stand his work there. I wanted to break my TV watching his match with Robbie Eagles, I think. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

(And I say this as a dude who had a pretty good encounter with him once chatting about the Salem witch trials)

Was Dahmer intimidating?  Not really, but he'd still put your head in his fridge and chow down on your D and Bs.

• Haha 2

Yeah, I appreciate the personality more than the wrestler. He had a fun garbage match with Death Match Guy Chuck Taylor in Evolve too. Evolve certainly seemed to be where he did the bulk of his best work. With guidance from veterans, I hope he can achieve more in AEW. They'll take their time pushing him up the card but I think it could work if they find the balance of his OTT stuff and his personality.

Also, GREAT Teddy Harty impression. "I cannot wrestle you tonight, Joey Janela..."

Edit: I like all of the guys they've earmarked for pushes. Jungle Boy needs a really slow ascent but he's adorable, Luke Perry's son, and pretty good for somebody so green. Havoc is going to be an awesome heel when he turns. MJF is money. Page is the obvious guy they've already got going. Look out for Darby Allin though. I'm really curious as to how they start with him, as either a face or heel. He's a pure whitemeat babyface in the ring but his persona isn't something most people can identify with other than being an outcast at one point, perhaps. 

Edited by Oyaji

27 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

He had really good programs with Lio Rush (it eventually got into over the top spotty style but there's some entertaining non-gratuitous stuff in there as well) and MJF in CZW. That's where I first became a fan of him.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

Was Dahmer intimidating?  Not really, but he'd still put your head in his fridge and chow down on your D and Bs.

Deltoids and biceps?

• Haha 2

The AEW contingent (as we all know) is diligently watching this message board. If we give them their own sub-forum, they'll party like nobody's business. It's cocaine cigars and paid-for titties by the hundreds. That's when you know you've made it.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I know you're probably joking but I was there and the NJPW portions were massively over..   ROH...   iffy.. 

Marty was easily the most over of the ROH portion, then ROH had to suck the wind out of us with...ugh Matt Taven.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Haha 1

Only thing I might change is the shape of the plates and make the main one slightly bigger. Like how the AEW logo is on the leather strap as well. Thought I spotted a nameplate on the better quality photos. You can see that here.

Edited by The Natural

11 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Most right wing boycotts are completely flaccid, but you do you.

I'd suggest ESPN has bigger problems than political speech. Like being 98% garbage. 

ESPN's problem is being overpriced and leading to mass cord-cutting.   The whole system is starting to collapse right now.

Still too early to call AEW definite #2, especially with NJPW around.   Give it until May 2020 and see how their TV turns out and whether it's still popular six months from debut.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 1