DVDVR Message Board

AEW Double or Nothing - 5/25/2019

8 minutes ago, Craig H said:

You mean the uproar earlier this year or last year when people mistook one of the Bucks outing dumb shit Bischoff said about Obama 10 years ago for something Matt or Nick said?

One of AEW's pillars is being an all inclusive company and their owner is Muslim. 

I think you can do the math from here.

Hey, if I’m wrong, fair enough, that’s my fault, but you don’t have to be such a dick about it.

Just now, Casey said:

Hey, if I’m wrong, fair enough, that’s my fault, but you don’t have to be such a dick about it.

I wasn't being a dick. I assume you're referring to my last line. I meant that exactly how it reads. I didn't see the need to extrapolate further and you're smart enough to do the math.

I want to point out quickly that despite what Vince's political ideology is it's not a deal breaker for me watching the promotion.  I want WWE to be good. I don't like the Super Showdown stuff they do but even still I want the WWE to be good.  The WWE has brought me great joy over the years and there are probably a couple dozens male and female performers that I love to watch and I want them to do well also.  

On the other side of it,  if AEW sucks.. which so far I love what they've done but if it ends up sucking I would not say it's 'good' just because I agree with Cody on political issues or whatever.  

Point is I think it's great that Cody got a shout out from AOC I think it's a good deal for them PR wise but obviously the shows still have to be good. 

And it reads terribly - but I was wrong about the tweets, so, whatever, who cares. Moving away from this subject because now I see why that topic is taboo around these parts.

Matt retweeted some stuff Jericho and Bischoff said about Obama and someone else dug those up to attack him, but I don't think either of them ever really said anything about Obama either way.

1 hour ago, w. josh said:

Well, AOC retweeted Cody's diversity answer today with praise. This is starting to feel more and more like a huge deal.  

Well  luckily fthe WWE is ready for this as they are going to have Ben Shapiro talk about the greatness of the 24/7 title.  Once they take it off of R-Truth of course   ?‍♂️

• Haha 10

22 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Well  luckily fthe WWE is ready for this as they are going to have Ben Shapiro talk about the greatness of the 24/7 title.  Once they take it off of R-Truth of course   ?‍♂️

And will Ben Shapiro be talking about this on Joe Rogan's podcast?

Alex Jones for 24/7 champ. Get that Joe Rogan Experience bump.

If I could be serious for a moment, I hope politics stay out of wrestling. The last thing the online community needs is more division.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

AEW & WWE need to stay out of politics as much as possible. 

To do otherwise is not making good business decisions.

When it comes to inclusion nobody holds a monopoly on its idea and goals.

My Wife of 17 years was born in Mexico City (I’m white). She is waaaay more conservative than myself politically, but she is much more inclusive than anyone I know in my life.

Things are never as “Black & White” as they seem. 

AEW inclusive message is fine...but become political and they will suffer. 

For what it's worth, the AEW core guys have positioned themselves fairly left as individuals on Twitter (arguing for gun control, Cody's repeated attempts to get his fans to not fly the Confederate flag, etc) and that definitely seems to be bleeding into the company I'm curious to see how far Fight for the Fallen might tip towards advocacy vs just fundraising.

• Like 1

Watched this last night and I enjoyed every second of it. Some random thoughts:

SCU vs Stronghearts was a very fun opener. 

Best Friends vs Angelico/Evans was very good too. They really dropped the ball on the Smash Bros debut though. I had no idea who they were and had to look them up. 

Was it me, or whenever the camera would be on the announcers was JR not looking into the camera? It's like there was a teleprompter on the floor to remind him what he was supposed to be talking about. 

Speaking of announcing this was my first time hearing Marvez and Excalibur. Marvez I can do without, but I was very impressed with Excalibur. 

Dustin vs Cody was match of the night for me. Dustin deserves a god damn medal for losing that much blood. 

Jericho beating Omega clean needed to happen. He's the biggest name they have, and it won't mean anything to have someone beat him if you don't establish out of the gate that he's still "got it". 

Look guys, please don't ruin this for me by letting me know who supported what on Twitter. I just thought that Cody's comments were great and I appreciate them, but after that, I don't want to know shit because ignorance is bliss and I just want to watch AEW without hating either it or myself for watching it. Thanks and kisses.

Also, I hope they sign all the lady Kongs, or at least have Awesome Kong come in as a special attraction or as part of a tag team where her partner carries the load and she can step in and destroy people.

• Like 2

Guest The Magnificent 7
14 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

For what it's worth, the AEW core guys have positioned themselves fairly left as individuals on Twitter (arguing for gun control, Cody's repeated attempts to get his fans to not fly the Confederate flag, etc) and that definitely seems to be bleeding into the company I'm curious to see how far Fight for the Fallen might tip towards advocacy vs just fundraising.

I really hope they don’t as nothing will get me off the train faster and I really want to support this fed. 

Watched this on YouTube this morning (someone uploaded the whole show in perfect quality) and really enjoyed it. I've never seen 95% of the roster but I liked the variety show aspect as someone pointed out. Loved the Rhodes match, it's been a long time since I've seen such a bloody match. If this gets picked up in Canada they've got another viewer. Can't say I'll be watching on ppv unless it's being offered around the $30 mark. Sorry but WWE have spoiled me with cheap PPVs.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Is Angelico pretty good and just had an off night?  I thought he looked clumsy or nervous compared to his partner. 

11 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Section 217 was a little dusty (ha)

Section 217 (my area code) was a little dusty over here too. Thanks for whoever hipped me to that match being on Youtube, besides the Moxley thing that was what I needed to see from this show. The Canadian Destroyer was actually great as a "you still got it" moment. Excalibur and JR seemed fine, production was great, turnout was great, fans getting emotional was great... these guys and gals are taking off with flying colors. Particularly red.

1 minute ago, BrianS81177 said:

It was a Code Red

Oh good, I'm not going crazy or forgetting something from a match I watched literally a few hours ago.

I know he hit it a few times at least in WWE as well.

4 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

How the hell did Kaz Hayashi end up with the rights to Glacier?!

He sold off the entrance gear and entrance in an angle.

• Like 2