DVDVR Message Board

AEW Double or Nothing - 5/25/2019

Cody might as well have been a Beatle, since there were two Freddy Mercurys on the show. Nakamura needs to step his game up.

If the Battle Royal proved anything, it proved that even now, in 2019, Tommy Dreamer will take any spot from any Wrestler. Sonny Kiss could have done his headscissor stinkface spot with anyone. He did it with Dreamer. Jimmy Havoc could have done the staple gun elimination with anyone. He did it with Dreamer. Orange Cassidy* could have been lackadaisical with anyone. He was lackadaisical with Dreamer.

* Presumably he was the original Joker card. And they didn't want to un-book him, so he just showed up apparently at random. I hope he's signed, they could do something with him.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I think Cody has been listening Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band a lot.

I believe he said he was going with the Alucard look in an episode of road to DoN. 

Really enjoyed the show.  Excalibur is basically a one man three man team because he had to carry Marvez and especially Ross through it all.

I was into all the matches and never got bored, which happens a lot when I try to watch wrestling these days.

I fucking hated the throne thing but hey it popped the crowd so whatever, it's all good.

• Like 1

yeah get rid of Alex Marvez.

The throne spot I thought was a bit too much. But watching the show live, everything looked really cool. I'm curious to see how much Jack Whitehall will be involved going forward.

I'm glad they didn't overdo it on backstage segments and no invisible camera guy BS. 

But man, Cody and Dustin probably had one of the best and most emotional matches of both guy's careers. 

I kind of assume from this Jericho will have the title when they go to TNT.

Edited by TheVileOne

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I've only watched the first half of the show and will watch the second half sometime in the next couple of days, but so far my favorite thing is referee Aubrey Edwards staring down whoever who rang the bell early in the six woman tag and looking like she could kill them with a single thought. That's not a comment on the rest of the show, I just liked that a lot.

6 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I've only watched the first half of the show and will watch the second half sometime in the next couple of days, but so far my favorite thing is referee Aubrey Edwards staring down whoever who rang the bell early in the six woman tag and looking like she could kill them with a single thought. That's not a comment on the rest of the show, I just liked that a lot.

I’m not getting the Earl Hebner comparison with her. She’s more like female Tommy Young. That’s a compliment. Now she needs to make some questionable calls that piss off fans.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Haha 1

It’s because Earl sounds like Girl she’s a ref he’s maybe the most known ref for better or worse. So she became Gearl Hebner also the promotion she refs for 3-2-1 Battle is zany like that the female ref being Gearl Hebner makes sense there. 

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Also liked the little touch of the music fading out so we can hear the murmurs in the crowd build-up to the spot. That was good audio production there on the show.

It was great. Really wouldn't be shocked if it's revealed they had David Lynch in the truck. 

2 hours ago, Rick said:

I can't remember who said the production was better than WWE's but you are mad. WWE is the gold standard, AEW are nowhere near. 

People are so thirsty for something to get excited about that they're inclined to mistake competence for mastery.

Re: the throne thing, I'm on the side of those drawing parallels between Cody and Hunter. In that both are cheesy dudes who should always be heel!

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

Typing that out did make me think of something like WM X-7. So I don't want to make excuses for AEW, but for all of these companies, how did we regress because if you watch shows from 99 to 01 or 02 they seem to be completely locked down. Like, you had even more shit going on in something like the TLC match from X-7, but I don't remember anything missed there.

The difference is experience. 

• Like 1

Just now, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Apparently it’s been reported by Meltzer that they got around 200K buys. Can anybody with an Observer sub confirm he said that.

If that’s true, that’s gotta feel like a win...

10 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Apparently it’s been reported by Meltzer that they got around 200K buys. Can anybody with an Observer subscription confirm he’s reported that.

No he did a quick estimate on WOR that based on Google trends and where it was trending in Twitter compared to other PPV events that did the same that it could be around 200k buys.

10 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Who was Mark Henry representing? I'm guessing he's no longer employed by Titan? 

Henry is co-host of a Busted Open, a daily wrestling radio show on Sirius XM. 

• Like 1