DVDVR Message Board

AEW Double or Nothing - 5/25/2019

The Bucks veered into that territory a lot (and their detractors still hated them because they were either too hammy in their selling or one trick ponies) an awful lot the past few years in NJPW.

Not the smoothest of shows but nearly everything got over well with the live audience and delivered the entertainment I expected. 

SCU vs Strong hearts was a nice opener. Changes in pace of the match at points was done well.

Awesome Kong was a pleasant surprise for the womens 4way. Nice they kept that under wraps and the crowd responded well. The match however was a bit of a struggle. Kong working light is no fun. Thought the finish stretch was good. I'd be ok if they didnt bring Nyla back. 

Joshi tag was good though I was unfamiliar with several ladies. I haven't seen Ryo work since her early years in Sendai and I was quite shocked to see her have so much personality. Hikaru Shida is probably where they need to put their attention. 

I thought Cody vs Dustin was fine up until the end with the stretch of finishes and kick outs. They visibly exhausted the crowd. A great moment for the 2 of them though.

Lucha Bros vs Young Bucks was a great sprint, but kinda lost me at the end too. I didnt mind the spottines until they end where they incorporated the arm work just for Nick to fly out of nowhere to hit their spotty finish.

Not the biggest fan of the Judas Effect, but it will catch on  I feel. Another good match from Kenny and Jericho. A few rough patches they worked through well. Moxley debuting was cool. I think he is going to be essential in stretching out the main event card for their future shows.

I think Pillman II overdid things on the hair bleach there. He looked a bit more Ricky Morton Jr than Brian Pillman.

I wonder if Moxley will be working with Havoc or Janela down the road at all. Hope so.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

While the smoke effect was cheese, it also fit the narrative of Cody wanting to kill the attitude era. 

The way they could have done it better would be too construct the chair out of an easily breakable mold. Something like what my daughter has, which looks like stone, but you can easily chip away at it with even plastic tools to find stuff like jems or other stuff buried inside. Then Cody could have just smashed the shit out of the whole thing.

20 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Yes, for all the good in the ppv, that moment was pretty bush league and got a lot of eye rolls from my viewing party.

They at least smartly didn’t make mention of it on commentary. Just let the marks, and smarks online react to it positively, or negatively to it. Also liked the little touch of the music fading out so we can hear the murmurs in the crowd build-up to the spot. That was good audio production there on the show.

I’ll admit I didn’t like it as soon as I saw the set-up, but thought it was executed very well, even with the low-tech involved, and I soon had a change of heart.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

It was a stellar show to be at live. JWoww of Jersey Shore fame was at the show I guess. read about it on Twitter this morning. My favorite contemporary recording artist, one Westside Gunn was in attendance front row I could see him from my seats. The whole night I thought "how am I gonna meet him and tell him he's tight as fuck". I did not meet him after the show he disappeared into the  sea of people. I did shake Bill Apters hand so there's that.

Back to the show, it was a great time live. One of the better times i've ha in a crowd at a wrestling show. The people around me where a ton of fun we had a blast bullshitting and watching wrasslin'. Very different from a WWE crowd. Or at least thats how it felt to me. The crowds atmosphere, the chants,the reactions,  the level of interest all Different which is the best possible thing ever. Why was different capitalized? Fuck you thats why.

My favorite match was Cody vs Dustin, match was emotional. THose Dusty chants almost got to me. Section 217 was a little dusty (ha). Pardon the pun. Best Friends vs Evans and Angelico was alot of fun. AEW's tags cene is gonna be unreal. Yo was that Super Smash bros that beat them all up at the end there? Oh btw Brandi's spear on Dustin was fucking crisp dude. Loved the DDP cameo too.

What else did I like? Everything really.  MJF is great "Bret watch out a fan!!!!" that was fucking heat right there brother. Bret was a pleasant surprise. Awesome Kong was unexpected but really cool. The 6 Women's tag was alot of fun the girl in the orange pants was the star IMO. Hope Awesome sticks around long enough for Awesome vs Aja on American soil. All Out perhaps? 

Lucha Bros showed up (mentally, emotionally and physically) and The Bucks seemed determined to pull out all the stops. Some of those moves I can't explain but they were bonkers.

We (the crowd) was exhausted by the time Kenny vs Jericho, we were engaged but not as loud as I thought we should have been. That finish came out of nowhere and the crowd didn't know how to react. I myself personally was a tad disappointed as I think I was expected a 40 minute epic similar to the WK match. 

Moxley!!!!!!!!!!

It was a fucking bad ass show, they do have some technical and production hiccups to iron out but for a first show it was pretty solid.

• Like 4

I do wonder what the original plan was. If Pac vs Page had happened, who was going to win the Battle Royal? And would it still have been with the winner in the title decider (probably not, because that wasn't announced until after plans changed).

12 minutes ago, AxB said:

I do wonder what the original plan was. If Pac vs Page had happened, who was going to win the Battle Royal? And would it still have been with the winner in the title decider (probably not, because that wasn't announced until after plans changed).

I would guess if Pac vs Page happened MJF wins the Battle Royal.

• Like 1

I don't really want to go into too much detail but I really enjoyed the show, and I could maybe see myself buying more shows in the future.  I subscribe to the Network but I never watch their shows and lord knows how long it has been since I actually paid for a show.  IMO, none of the matches were bad and I really enjoyed the Joshi match and Cody/Dustin.  I thought production was pretty solid and commentary was pretty decent too.  I actually liked Marvez the least, which is surprising.  I liked JR's enthusiasm for the main and Excaliber was amazing, if not channeling Mauro's over-announcing things.  Most of the guys in the matches looked like stars, and even some of the battle royal guys were decent.  The ending was a bit overbooked but it was still pretty exciting even as I figured Moxley would show up at some point.  By the end, Jericho seemed like an afterthought after the heat was seemingly put on Moxley, then Omega, and back to Moxley.  Admittedly, I'm just nitpicking.

Edited by notoriusvig

The thing is HHH went to bat for Dustin and convinced Vince to let him go when Vince was keen on keeping him if the reports are to believed - which makes Cody's entrance even more bizarre.

That Lucha Bros/Bucks tag, man. The worst kind of Will Ospreay vs. Will Ospreay inside a steel Will Ospreay match. Talk about overkill. Hopefully when the Revival get there they beat some of the bad habits out of the Bucks.

I can't remember who said the production was better than WWE's but you are mad. WWE is the gold standard, AEW are nowhere near. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Rick said:

The thing is HHH went to bat for Dustin and convinced Vince to let him go when Vince was keen on keeping him if the reports are to believed - which makes Cody's entrance even more bizarre.

That Lucha Bros/Bucks tag, man. The worst kind of Will Ospreay vs. Will Ospreay inside a steel Will Ospreay match. Talk about overkill. Hopefully when the Revival get there they beat some of the bad habits out of the Bucks.

I can't remember who said the production was better than WWE's but you are mad. WWE is the gold standard, AEW are nowhere near. 

Rhodes Brothers as well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, notoriusvig said:

I don't really want to go into too much detail but I really enjoyed the show, and I could maybe see myself buying more shows in the future.  I subscribe to the Network but I never watch their shows and lord knows how long it has been since I actually paid for a show.  IMO, none of the matches were bad and I really enjoyed the Joshi match and Cody/Dustin.  I thought production was pretty solid and commentary was pretty decent too.  I actually liked Marvez the least, which is surprising.  I liked JR's enthusiasm for the main and Excaliber was amazing, if not channeling Mauro's over-announcing things.  Most of the guys in the matches looked like stars, and even some of the battle royal guys were decent.  The ending was a bit overbooked but it was still pretty exciting even as I figured Moxley would show up at some point.  By the end, Jericho seemed like an afterthought after the heat was seemingly put on Moxley, then Omega, and back to Moxley.  Admittedly, I'm just nitpicking.

Watched this with my 9-year old son and had a good old time. He played with toys half the time - he tunes out on any tag team matches, though... says he "just can't get into tag team stuff." ?

Marvez seemed uncomfortable in the pre-show but once JR got there you could tell he loosened up and got more comfortable. Excalibur is really, really good. I still think it would be great to take the mask off and do commentary as a person and not a worker but whatever. Like you said, JR seemed really enthused and while I'd like to see him step back from the booth sooner than later I think he was good to have around for this show and likely the next.

I was happy to see the production quality where it was and definitely a step up from All In - all signs seem to point to these guys at least making a real push at being competition. I'd be wary of directly competing with Vince, though, as we've seen where that's headed. The Khan's got dough but still not so much that they can compete *everywhere*.  They need to take the right risks and aim for the right audience and grow the brand organically.

Nyla Rose does nothing for me. My son calls Kylie Rae a "Bayley" rip-off and he's right but I actually think she might be better than Bayley. It was obvious that Baker was going to win since they've been pushing her since the beginning but this start of the women's division is decent.

Also - have I been sleeping on Scorpio Sky? Dude seems to me to be the best dude in SCU - Daniels and Kazarian are still good but Scorp seems to be great.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, chanandlerbong said:

Watched this with my 9-year old son and had a good old time. He played with toys half the time - he tunes out on any tag team matches, though... says he "just can't get into tag team stuff." ?

Marvez seemed uncomfortable in the pre-show but once JR got there you could tell he loosened up and got more comfortable. Excalibur is really, really good. I still think it would be great to take the mask off and do commentary as a person and not a worker but whatever. Like you said, JR seemed really enthused and while I'd like to see him step back from the booth sooner than later I think he was good to have around for this show and likely the next.

hqdefault.jpg

Honestly nothing wrong with having a personality through your outfit as a lead guy. Gorilla had his colorful jackets, and tinted glasses. Jesse looked like a Long Beach pimp. Vince had those Cosby sweaters. King wore his gear. JR wears a hat. Just because today’s WWE has sterile looking announcers, doesn’t mean everybody has to follow there lead. That’s Vince’s fault for forgetting the need for individuality between lead commentators.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, J.H. said:

Cody's ring gear made me think Dustin was wrestling L'Empereur

James

I think Cody has been listening to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band a lot.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1