DVDVR Message Board

AEW Double or Nothing - 5/25/2019

I've watched next to zero of the podcast clips or other videos setting up the show so I went in just hoping to enjoy it for what it was. 

Battle Royale was about what I expected with some comedy and other random entrants. I was hoping MJF would end up winning. Adam Page doesn't do a ton for me but then again I've seen only a few of his matches since he left ROH.\

I'd never heard of Kip Sabian before but his match with Sammy was solid enough.

Six man tag was good. This was the first time I'd seen the guys teaming with Cima.

The women's four way was not so great. Baker and Kiley are fine but Nyla Rose didn't impress me in the slightest. Kong was awful and seemed blown up pretty much right off the bat.

Angelico/Evans vs Best Friends was ok but nothing super memorable. 

I wasn't familiar with most of the participants in the Joshi trios match but it was a fun outing.

The battle of the Rhodes boys was excellent. They told the story they needed to tell and put together an amazing match in the process.

While I enjoy a fun spotfest, there was just a bit too much Young Bucks schtick in this match to my liking. If they had cut about 5 minutes off it would have been much better. 

Chris Jericho is one of my favorite wrestlers of all time, but his most recent post-WWE run hasn't done a lot for me. Tonight's match with Omega was a lot better than I was expecting though I share the sentiment of his elbow finisher being ass. Ambrose running in at the end was a bit whatever though I'm looking forward to seeing who he ends up doing a program with.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Watched this with my Dad and my oldest son and my brother was texting me throughout as he got it too.  It was fantastic and just what we have been waiting for. This made alot of fans tonight.   3 generations just in this family.  

Hopefully AEW keeps up the momentum.  

2 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Dustin Rhodes, man.

Gotta be the best wrestler in my lifetime never to win a major world championship. I'd love to dip into the alternate universe where Hogan didn't go to WCW and we got Rhodes on top in 1995. 

Agreed, and after tonight I honestly think, hey maybe there's still time. Why the hell not. Maybe he and Cody will get the tags at some point, anyway.

Such a great show i completely forgot to mention the tag matches and the women's matches.

I'm so happy to see Trent and Chuck Taylor on such a big stage, I really became a fan of those guys through their interviews and obviously Evans and Angelico are phenomenal. Did Evans ever get a look from WWE or did he just prefer working in Mexico all that time??

One of my favorite parts of the 2nd tag match, and this might seem kind of weird, but, JR's genuine reactions to all the crazy shit they did. "I was a fan of the Assasins" then he gets hit with that badass match. I absolutely loved the Bucks doing the sharpshooters, and some of the call backs to old opponents of theirs. And I can't say enough about the Lucha Bros-- that's gotta be the hardest working team in the wrestling business today.

And Awesome Kong!!! I hope she sticks around. Maybe they'll put her in there with Aja and let them clubber it out at some point. I am not really familiar with any of the other women but I thought they were pretty good matches. I preferred the trios match. My only criticisms are basically my criticisms about all multi-person matches I guess so really nothing groundbreaking to add. 

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

That show was pretty damn good. The only complaint I had was Marquez on commentary. Just telling over everything. Jim Ross was doing pretty good, but Marquez and his screaming everything was the only downside. I mean if he wants to be David Crockett, he needs to turn it down a notch.

Aside from that. Dustin and Cody. I was not expecting that. I don't see why Dustin couldn't have a run as champion. If he's not full time with AEW, Billy Corgan and the NWA better be on the phone to him.

I guess Moxely showing up was a given. As a fan just watching it felt so cool seeing him show up.  Can't wait to see what happens next

• Like 1

For all the moments where Cody says boneheaded things. These matches, the way he self promoted himself into a wrestling star after his release, and how he helped make this promotion, remind me that he really is an all-time great talent. Jeff Jarrett could never do something like that with himself, and TNA. if Mike Graham was right about one thing with Jarrett, it’s...

1492116179369.gif

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 3

Thrown.

I had problems with the Fite TV stream and basically missed the first hour. It started working right as the entrances for the Women's Trios Tag were on. I thought that buying it gave me replay rights forever but apparently it's only until June 1st. So, a week.

• Haha 1

Undercard needs work but the top matches had a great big time feel. Yeah, some production problems and Ross got turned around a little but overall a good presentation. Cody/Dustin was special and the blood made it stand out as definitely not WWE. Cody’s throne theatrics were embarrassing especially since I was hoping he’d take the high road on taking shots, and the match itself was more than enough to prove his point but maybe they weren’t expecting that much blood. Match had one too many kick outs and you could tell JR thought so too, he had trouble hiding his opinion sometimes. I’m not a fan of the Young Bucks’ style of match but that seemed to be the best version of it. Matt Jackson stood out, and if they have any balls they’ll kick off their weekly TV by having him turn on Nick because the Bucks have done all they’re going to do as a team. Jericho/Omega was good but rough and the Moxley stuff was great even if it was heavily predicted.

Very good show, lots of momentum, wrestlers I give a shit about. Let’s do this.

31 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

It was a great show - but the production was easily the worst part of it. Missed camera shots all over the place.

It didn’t look cheap at least. I’m not an expert when it comes to knowing the names of camera lenses, but I can tell the difference between the cameras they use for a local FSN telecast, and a national FS telecast. This actually looked like a Turner produced show. At times it felt like the kind of colorful telecast they’d have for the NBA skills competition. Like I really liked the crane shot that went over the big poker chips. Panning over a physical logo was always a WCW thing. I agree though, there were a lot of spots that needed a director to tell the crew “Go to camera #3!”.

Also the production should’ve been more strict about the entrance tunnels. There were a few matches at the start where guys were coming out of the same goddamn tunnel. That shit made me OCD for a bit. 

P.S. I hate when they looked for a reaction from a fan. Some looked real, but others(I’m looking at you red hat guy) looked like plants. Let the WWE do that shit. At the last Money In The Bank, they’d get fan shots that were absolutely awful. Shots where people looked bored, and weren’t reacting. Dunn even went a camera that showed a lady yawning. Going to crowd shots is asking for one of those fuck ups. WWE can get away with it due to history, but not AEW, and the microscope they have on them.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

Honestly, I thought the production was fine and better than WWE, ROH, MLW, etc. I think the only time I had a problem with missed shots was Bucks vs Lucha Bros., but damn, there were a million things going on with that match. It's hard to keep up.

Typing that out did make me think of something like WM X-7. So I don't want to make excuses for AEW, but for all of these companies, how did we regress because if you watch shows from 99 to 01 or 02 they seem to be completely locked down. Like, you had even more shit going on in something like the TLC match from X-7, but I don't remember anything missed there.

Anyway, I digress. Thought the production was fine and enjoyed the camera shots more here than with WWE. This honestly felt like a hybrid of WCW and NJPW.

For the commentary, I was super impressed by Excalibur. He's fucking good. JR is fine, but seemed to get lost late, which makes me think it would be better to bring in JR later on in the show like a late inning reliever or something. Marvez did better than I thought he would do. He's the third man so he's whatever out there, but here's better than Coach or Renee or Percy. Not a high bar to clear though.

I loved Cody’s entrance.  I don’t want the whole show to be shots at WWE, but Cody using his own over the top, theatrical entrance to take a shot at the king of over the top, theatrical entrances was *kisses fingers*.  The “high road” is boring as fuck.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, EVA said:

I loved Cody’s entrance.  I don’t want the whole show to be shots at WWE, but Cody using his own over the top, theatrical entrance to take a shot at the king of over the top, theatrical entrances was *kisses fingers*.  The “high road” is boring as fuck.

Same here. Totally the same here. I was pumping my fist and everything. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Craig H said:

For the commentary, I was super impressed by Excalibur. He's fucking good. JR is fine, but seemed to get lost late, which makes me think it would be better to bring in JR later on in the show like a late inning reliever or something. Marvez did better than I thought he would do. He's the third man so he's whatever out there, but here's better than Coach or Renee or Percy. Not a high bar to clear though.

I’ll agree on those two. They add(added) nothing to the show except to be punching bags for the color guy, and in the case of the RAW crew, to be the punching bag for both the color, and lead commentator. Here they didn’t really give Marvez shit, who looked nervous as hell, but didn’t raise his voice to have his moment(A thing I notice Renee, and other third WWE announcers do), and kept his mouth shut. That’s all you hope to happen when some bonehead in production wants an unnecessary third guy. 

Percy, to my ears, has been real good recently for somebody who had a cup of coffee in the ring. When he has his moment to say something, it always sounds relevant, unlike the other ones who share that position currently.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

37 minutes ago, EVA said:

While the smoke effect was cheese, it also fit the narrative of Cody wanting to kill the attitude era. 

Young Bucks vs Rhodes Brothers is going to be interesting. Neither Dustin or Cody really does that super fast million moves style (and Dustin might actually be closer to being able to keep up) so the Bucks are going to have to slow it down and do more of a storytelling style.

Did Bret accidentally give away future booking plan by saying when the title decider was (then qualifying it by saying "or a few months down the line")?