DVDVR Message Board

AEW Double or Nothing - 5/25/2019

18 hours ago, Craig H said:

And if it's a Visa issue, then I still don't see how it's AEW's fuckup unless they had Pac file for a work Visa within the last couple weeks. That's really the only scenario I could see you placing blame on the company is if they waited too long to file.

If it's a visa issue, there COULD have conceivably been the risk that it was similar to why Angelina Love had to leave TNA in 2009 (where AEW thought that PAC's visa from WWE would cover him for AEW matches, but they found out quickly that they'd need to get another visa for AEW for him.) 

8 hours ago, Flair’s Shadow said:

I agree.

However the seriousness of this mistake by AEW is being blown up.

This should only be a bump on the road, not a canary in the coal mine type of event.

But we shall see.

I'm hoping this is a bump in the road for the mistake, but this is not a good look for the "AEW won't have writers, the wrestlers will book themselves" claims.

This would just be an unfortunate problem- but it's the second time in two shows run by the Elite guys something like this happened- both the "Double or Nothing loses a featured match because neither guy could job to the other" one now, and All In having the "Okada went rogue during his match and refused to take it home, and it forced the main event to go shorter and indeed nearly sank the PPV" problem. 

Say what you will about WWE writers sucking and not doing the workers right- but one thing to give credit to WWE for: You hear about people not being happy with their booking, you hear about people's alleged boo-boo faces, you hear of people who dislike each other,  but you never hear of WWE wrestlers flat out playing the "I'm not jobbing to this person" card or really going rogue in-ring wise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flair’s Shadow said:

With how bad WWE’s MITB is tonight I think any mistake or hiccup AEW might have had in the last 24 hours don’t mean a dam thing come May 25th at DON.

This better be rock bottom for WWE.

Glad I chose to go with night 6 of BOSJ after getting home from NXT: Asbury Park.

If the issue is only with PAC jobbing while Dragon Gate's top champion, I'd try to bring in someone else from Dragon Gate that would be a name the AEW audience would likely be familiar with. Any one of these guys would fit that bill.

Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino, B×B Hulk, Don Fuji, Dragon Kid, Flamita, Genki Horiguchi, Masaaki Mochizuki, Ryo Saito, Susumu Yokosuka, Yamato

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

1 hour ago, SorceressKnight said:

All In having the "Okada went rogue during his match and refused to take it home, and it forced the main event to go shorter and indeed nearly sank the PPV" problem. 

Is there any evidence that actually happened?

Since I always assume that everyone is asshole before proved otherwise it feels to me a bit like PAC used them. I remember when that match was originally announced lots of people assumed that PAC would be dropping his DG title in the near future to avoid "DG champ lost to midcarder" problems. But PAC probably knew that he was with DG for a long term and his indie bookings reflected that with champs of other promotions having to resort to DQ finishes. Even that draw against Ospreay was basically PAC being ready to hit his finisher and then  saying "fuck you" to the fans (not literally) and waiting till time runs out. So I figure that PAC saw this as opportunity to do some self-promotion for himself and DG before going away.

But ultimately this is on AEW and it is a worrying sign since they got partners like AAA. I hope that this is a minor hicup, but it doesn't look good.

• Like 1

AEW needs those partnerships until they can build up a big enough roster of exclusive talents, or they start stealing talents.   If they keep getting burned, they might find it easier to raid those promotions.   AEW's long term success is going to be dependent on if they can build Page up as their big star- he's the best guy they have- as Omega's only got 2-3 years of shelf life left because he's not going to be good when he's broken down.

AEW should really try to partner with All Japan. I could see Zeus, Ishikawa and especially Miyahara getting over big with an american audience. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

I'd just have someone come out and wrestle Page wearing this mask and call them PAC the whole time:

http://www.deathstudios.com/Masks/Index.cfm/go:site.Item/Item:151/ID:1/Group:11/index.html

but I also watch too much W*ING

Why even bother with that? 

I don't think Waltman has a backstage contract with WWE yet, so he's probably available.

Just book him and say "Hangman Page was scheduled to wrestle PAC, but he pulled out, making this an ex-PAC match."

• Like 1

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but TMZ saying today that(not surprisingly) Flair won't be healthy enough to travel to Vegas this weekend and the Roast is cancelled.

Here is a full blurb

By Mike Johnson on 2019-05-20 14:53:00
TMZ.com is reporting that Ric Flair, due to the situation surrounding his scheduled surgery today, will not be appearing this Friday Night at Starrcast's Roast of Ric Flair, which was slated to air live on traditional PPV as well as FITE.tv.  TMZ is quoting a spokesperson for Flair as saying he will not be healthy enough post-operation to able to make the trip to Las Vegas for this weekend's festivities.

Flair was also slated to appear alongside Jim Ross and Ricky Steamboat for a discussion of the classic Flair vs. Steamboat feud on Thursday evening as well as meet and greet with fans.

It should be noted there has been no official announcement made regarding Flair and Starrcast at this time.   Starrcast II is slated for this weekend as a companion event for AEW's Double or Nothing.

TMZ.com first broke the new that Ric Flair was rushed to an emergency room last week with a medical emergency.  His son-in-law, Conrad Thompson, would state later that day that the medical issue was not as dire as initially reported and that Flair was in the hospital for a scheduled procedure.  The procedure was postponed until today due to medical complications.

PWInsider.com wishes Flair and his family nothing but the best.

2 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

I say go for the hologram Tupac from Cochella around seven years ago

Wendy Dio is calling AEW as we speak to get the RJD hologram booked.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

2 hours ago, Flair’s Shadow said:

So it’s official...AEW will be TV-14 rating.

Great news for the fans but I wonder if AEW will have trouble drawing sponsorships to their programming? 

How is that great news for fans?

• Like 1