DVDVR Message Board

AEW Double or Nothing - 5/25/2019

13 hours ago, Craig H said:

I mean, DG is kinda minor league.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Dragon Gate been the number 2 promotion in Japan for a long time now? They draw a lot more consistently than NOAH, AJPW, W-1, BJPW, whoever, and the only non-NJPW shows that I've seen outdraw their big Kobe shows are the DDT Peter Pan shows + the KENTA/Marufuji match last year.

41 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Oh, I know they aren't infallible. If they're guilty of anything it's maybe having a very idealistic view of what the wrestling business could be where everyone would be willing to do business for the greater good and they could not lock their whole roster down with vice grips. I guess this serves as a wake up call that the wrestling business is still the wrestling business and you can think you're building the most idealistic company ever, like this Utopia for wrestling, but ultimately, 100% of the workers need to be on board and Pac is the 1% who isn't. I'm guilty of it too thinking that there's no reason to be that prideful in 2019, but feelings are feelings and if Pac feels like he shouldn't lose because he's the champion in a much smaller company then I can only say I wish this came up much sooner.

I feel like your missing the point, especially with the idealistic talk. AEW is not the greater good. Its just another wrestling company. Whats good for them isn't going to be good for everyone. They didn't do their due diligence in this case. DG may be a smaller company, but they are still pretty decent sized in Japan and have earned far more of PAC's respect from his time with them than a startup he isn't signed to has. Its ridiculous to expect him to be loyal to AEW first, especially if no contract is in place. Whats more PAC's position has been long known so its again AEW's fault thinking it would either somehow changed or be ignored when the time came. Who knows, it could be that a deal was struck and people tried to back track, but with the information given so far it seems more like AEW just screwed up. Blaming PAC based on whats been said so far is kind of ridiculous.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

I'm sure people will disagree with me but this PAC situation shows that AEW can't be fucking around with guys who are free lancers and place them in key matches. I still think this has to rest at least partially on AEW because this should have been worked out weeks ago..  PAC should have been approached and it should have been agreed upon then and if it was and PAC just now said "I'm not doing it, brother"  then there should have been no compromise. They should have said fuck you and moved away from him entirely. 

They will have to learn that in this business sometimes you have to rule with an iron fist. You don't have to be Vince McMahon but taking a wrestler's "word" on anything means shit. I'd trust a used car salesmen over a professional wrestler. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Dragon Gate been the number 2 promotion in Japan for a long time now? They draw a lot more consistently than NOAH, AJPW, W-1, BJPW, whoever, and the only non-NJPW shows that I've seen outdraw their big Kobe shows are the DDT Peter Pan shows + the KENTA/Marufuji match last year.

You are correct. DG has unofficially been the second biggest promotion in Japan since NOAH started deteriorating after Misawa's death and Kobashi's retirement.

DG is more of a very strong niche product, versus RoH (and I guess AJPW)'s status as "de facto best indie that people only care so much about". DG doesn't really do a lot of crossover work, fans of the promotion are numerous and dedicated but they don't get out of the DG bubble much (they have a LOT of female + gay fans, for example). That we-do-our-own-thing attitude is reflected in their booking and is being reflected here.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm sure people will disagree with me but this PAC situation shows that AEW can't be fucking around with guys who are free lancers and place them in key matches. I still think this has to rest at least partially on AEW because this should have been worked out weeks ago..  PAC should have been approached and it should have been agreed upon then and if it was and PAC just now said "I'm not doing it, brother"  then there should have been no compromise. They should have said fuck you and moved away from him entirely. 

They will have to learn that in this business sometimes you have to rule with an iron fist. You don't have to be Vince McMahon but taking a wrestler's "word" on anything means shit. I'd trust a used car salesmen over a professional wrestler. 

I don't think there's much of anything to disagree with what you said. That's a pretty even keeled take on matters.

7 minutes ago, notoriusvig said:

What about Aries?  Would it be worth it to bring a guy like that in for a job and a good match?

No.

Where did we come down on what happened at Bound For Glory? Was that Aries being Aries or Impact being Impact?

Regardless, no. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 3

My thoughts: meh. If PAC didn't want to lose cleanly as DG champ and AEW doesn't want that to screw with future bookings than I guess push the van down the road and you have a potential super villain in a year or so. I'd rather they call it off than awkwardly have him win a few matches and either dip out or always have fluke finishes. I'm going to hold harsh judgement until the event to see how they either replace him or come up with a reason for me to mark out. 

I get both sides. If they agreed on an angle and it fell through or if there wasn't established details, I could see one side or the other looking bad. But I don't see clarity on that coming out for a bit now.

3 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Where did we come down on what happened at Bound For Glory? Was that Aries being Aries or Impact being Impact?

I look at it as Aries being Impact 

5 hours ago, Raziel said:

Omega didn't drop falls as IWGP Champ because yeah, he was IWGP Champ.  

Ibushi, Ishii, and Yano in the G1.

Edited by Ace
  • Like 1

6-3 with one of the losses being interference and another loss being to your best friend isn't too bad.  He had a good tourney.  Neither PAC or Page would be "ruined" by a loss; often times it's more the context in which you lost than the L itself.