DVDVR Message Board

AEW Double or Nothing - 5/25/2019

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

That's a hell of an announcement. Wonder if it signals the (merciful) end of WoS?

I'd say that the entire WoS roster signing for other companies was a bit of a giveaway. The January tour sank without a trace as well. 

TNA used to boast that it had the highest rated wrestling show in the UK (which was true), but they never said they were the biggest company, because they weren't (live show attendance was much smaller, even with Hogan and Sting et al). But being on an ITV channel, rather than something like Challenge or 5Star, that's an 'AEW is the biggest wrestling company in the UK' move.

Though at the moment, it's only the PPV on ITV Box Office and the pre-show at midnight on the smallest ITV channel. Of course, this could be a trial run for a bigger deal for their eventual show, but it's not really accurate to say they're on ITV yet. 

They're missing the boat on this battle royal if #21 isn't No Legs, but they're calling him Dustin Thomas and not No Legs so they already killed 90% of the gimmick

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, AxB said:

I'd say that the entire WoS roster signing for other companies was a bit of a giveaway. The January tour sank without a trace as well. 

Wasn't aware of any of this, I checked out after two episodes of that show tbh. This AEW announcement could be a feeling out process I guess

So from the story about AEW's TV Deal

AEW’s next big event is May 25’s Double or Nothing in Las Vegas. Currently, that show is set to stream on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook, and will be available as a pay-per-view purchase in the UK via ITV Box Office.

Whaaaaaat? That's kinda wild. Does Facebook have PPV streaming? Or Twitter for that matter? Or are they somehow foregoing PPV in the states except on, presumably, Fite TV and/or DAZN?

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

Whaaaaaat? That's kinda wild. Does Facebook have PPV streaming? Or Twitter for that matter? Or are they somehow foregoing PPV in the states except on, presumably, Fite TV and/or DAZN?

Twitter has a contract for streaming with one of the sports leagues in the US- and Facebook streamed some MLS last year.

25 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Both XFINITY/Comcast and Cox Cable are listing the show as a regular PPV with a $59.95 price tag

That is very steep. I’ll give it a chance, but they need a way to compete with Vince’s 10.99 a month specials, plus a library of wrestling footage from across a century. $60 PPV’s won’t work in this day, and age. Trying to get a deal with a major streaming service to air their specials should be the next goal.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 3

It's a lot for an audience that's basically been paying $9.99 for WWE PPVs for the last five years. 

But PPV prices never go down they always go up. I understand AEW's hands were probably tied down here and they aren't totally to blame for this. But yeah it's still steep for a first-time wrestling promotion that's not WWE. 

Like UFC prices are basically the same now, and UFC has been around since 1993.

Edited by TheVileOne