DVDVR Message Board

[NXT] MAY 2019 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

15 hours ago, The Natural said:

WWE's just added this NXT classic to YouTube...

There's only one NXT match I rate above this, Almas vs. Gargano at NXT TakeOver: Philadelphia 2018

I was there live! Such an incredible tag match.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It's weird to realize that was Kacy's first non-Florida loop

Kacy got a real nice crowd reaction. Given some more time, I don't think Kacy beating Shayna for the women's title would be a bad idea. Much like Bayley, Dakota Kai, or AEW's Kylie Rae, she's so easy to get behind and pull for. 

16 hours ago, nofuture said:

One of the highlights of the PC Combine was seeing Stokley out there doing all the drills with everyone else not because he had to, but because he wanted to be part of it.

Speaking of, is there any place where they've posted all of the results?  I know Bianca Belair won the women's side, and Riddick Moss of all people won the men's side, but I haven't seen any of the individual results listed anywhere.  I'm not nearly patient enough to sit through that six-hour television show to find out.

35 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Speaking of, is there any place where they've posted all of the results?  I know Bianca Belair won the women's side, and Riddick Moss of all people won the men's side, but I haven't seen any of the individual results listed anywhere.  I'm not nearly patient enough to sit through that six-hour television show to find out.

Here you go (spoilered for length):

Spoiler

2019 WWE PC Combine Winners

Women's Broad Jump: Bianca Belair (8'8")

Women's Ring Agility: Bianca Belair (4.27 seconds)

Women's Medicine Ball Toss: Reina Gonzalez (38'4")

Women's 1,000-Meter Row: Reina Gonzalez (3:32)

Men's Broad Jump: Montez Ford (10'10")

Men's Medicine Ball Toss: Dan Matha (51'1")

Men's Ring Agility: Riddick Moss (4.10 seconds)

Men's 1,000-Meter Row: Luke Menzies, Riddick Moss (3:01)

Men's Rookie Broad Jump: Albert Hardie Jr., Boa (10'0")

Men's Rookie Medicine Ball Toss: Brendan Vink (49'1")

Men's Rookie Ring Agility: Albert Hardie Jr. (4.28 seconds)

Men's Rookie 1,000-Meter Row: Daniel Vidot (2:58)

Women's Dynamic Bench Press: Kacy Catanzaro (0.75)

Women's Trap Bar Deadlift: Bianca Belair, Reina Gonzalez (400 lbs)

Women's Strong Run: Bianca Belair (29.97 seconds)

Men's Dynamic Bench Press: Riddick Moss (0.99)

Men's Trap Bar Deadlift: Eric Bugenhagen (760 lbs)

Men's Strong Run: Riddick Moss (25.03 seconds)

Men's Rookie Dynamic Bench Press: Nick Comoroto (0.94)

Men's Rookie Trap Bar Deadlift: Omari Palmer (800 lbs)

Men's Rookie Strong Run: Daniel Vidot (25.53 seconds)

Edited by nofuture
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, supremebve said:

2019 WWE PC Combine Winners

Women's Broad Jump: Bianca Belair (8'8")

Women's Ring Agility: Bianca Belair (4.27 seconds)

Women's Medicine Ball Toss: Reina Gonzalez (38'4")

Women's 1,000-Meter Row: Reina Gonzalez (3:32)

Men's Broad Jump: Montez Ford (10'10")

Men's Medicine Ball Toss: Dan Matha (51'1")

Men's Ring Agility: Riddick Moss (4.10 seconds)

Men's 1,000-Meter Row: Luke Menzies, Riddick Moss (3:01)

Men's Rookie Broad Jump: Albert Hardie Jr., Boa (10'0")

Men's Rookie Medicine Ball Toss: Brendan Vink (49'1")

Men's Rookie Ring Agility: Albert Hardie Jr. (4.28 seconds)

Men's Rookie 1,000-Meter Row: Daniel Vidot (2:58)

Women's Dynamic Bench Press: Kacy Catanzaro (0.75)

Women's Trap Bar Deadlift: Bianca Belair, Reina Gonzalez (400 lbs)

Women's Strong Run: Bianca Belair (29.97 seconds)

Men's Dynamic Bench Press: Riddick Moss (0.99)

Men's Trap Bar Deadlift: Eric Bugenhagen (760 lbs)

Men's Strong Run: Riddick Moss (25.03 seconds)

Men's Rookie Dynamic Bench Press: Nick Comoroto (0.94)

Men's Rookie Trap Bar Deadlift: Omari Palmer (800 lbs)

Men's Rookie Strong Run: Daniel Vidot (25.53 seconds)

There are some events where on social media they have posted the Top 5 in events but that requires a lot more poking around

• Like 1

I'm really wondering why Dynamic Bench Press is a more valuable measurement than how much or how often you can bench.  I'm not saying it completely lacks value, but if Kacy Catanzaro is winning the bench press competition, I have some questions. 

4 hours ago, supremebve said:

I'm really wondering why Dynamic Bench Press is a more valuable measurement than how much or how often you can bench.  I'm not saying it completely lacks value, but if Kacy Catanzaro is winning the bench press competition, I have some questions. 

I think they were just trying out new tech by the people helping running the combine.  They explain it a bit here:

4 minutes ago, nofuture said:

I think they were just trying out new tech by the people helping running the combine.  They explain it a bit here:

That's kind of my point.  Just because you can test something doesn't mean you should test something.  How much useful knowledge are you gaining when you test how quickly someone bench presses?  Kacy Catanzaro is about 100 lbs. and probably extremely strong for a woman her size, but I can't imagine her bench pressing over 150 lbs.  Her frame just isn't built to bench press, which is totally fine for her in-ring style.  Functionally, what is a dynamic bench press testing?  Scrolling through YouTube there is a bench press competition where Reina Gonzales bench presses some undetermined amount of weight 39 times.  That is a test I understand.  Everyone gets under the same amount of weight and sees how many reps they can lift before they fail.  That tests both strength and stamina and just seems like a much more useful test than how quickly you can lift something. 

I watched some of this.  I scrolled for a while, stopped watched 10 minutes, and then scrolled again, hoping that I'd get a good idea of what people were doing.  Other than Bianca Belair, who is also charismatic with a clearly defined character, are any of the names on that list any good?  If Riddick Moss and Dan Matha are winning these competitions, maybe all of these tests are a big ol' waste of time at a wrestling school.  

This is nothing more for goal setting and showing off what kind of athletes they have at the PC than any practical purposes.  I'm sure their weeks get pretty repetitive, so they throw in something like this as a change of pace. 

In Googling around - and lord knows I really don't understand this - is Dynamic Bench Press helps athletes become more explosive

It is also becoming more popular because not everyone could handle to doing multiple "lift as much as you fucking can" sessions in a week. (Which seems why this would be good for like the tinier women)