DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2019 - MAY

Dolfan in NYC

On 5/27/2019 at 12:45 PM, RIPPA said:

Bill Buckner has died at the age of 69

Way too young to go. I'm sure others that remember him playing will mention this, but let me be one of what should be many to say that Bill was a terrific player.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26851025/child-struck-line-drive-cubs-astros-game

The clip of Albert Almora, Jr. being asked about it after the game is absolutely brutal. Prayers to the girl and her family, and Almora.

Maybe don't watch if you're highly sensitive like me.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Been saying for years we need netting all the way, just like Kris Bryant suggested. There's absolutely no reason to not do it. Visibility is not an issue behind the nets. 

• Like 1

I've sat behind the net more than a few times. It has never affected my vision.

FWIW, the little girl is doing ok from accounts I've seen. Thank goodness.

• Like 1

I have season tickets behind netting. Literally the only time I notice it is when it stops a foul ball. I've taken photos through it where you literally can't see the net. 

Visibility is absolutely not an issue. 

Edited by Tabe

Don't all the yards in Korea and Japan go full nets to the poles? I think that if your peers in other professional leagues in your sport have done it, you have no excuse not to. Let's keep people as safe as possible.

What could the fucking harm be? Remember that gal that got blasted with part of Brett Lawrie's broken bat at Fenway a couple years ago? Or the lady that died after being struck by a foul ball at Dodger Stadium last year? Or the little kid that got drilled by a Todd Frazier foul ball last year or the year before? Let's have less of that, please.

To say nothing of the fact that I'm pretty sure that the extra nets could be installed overnight, or whenever the next time the team goes on a roadie and then you'd just be done. People can bitch all they want, but if you are minimizing danger, what sane person is going to be bothered?

Edited by grilledcheese

Tabe is absolutely right, after about ten minutes your eyes adjust and you don't even notice the netting.  

2 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

Don't all the yards in Korea and Japan go full nets to the poles? I think that if your peers in other professional leagues in your sport have done it, you have no excuse not to. Let's keep people as safe as possible.

What could the fucking harm be? Remember that gal that got blasted with part of Brett Lawrie's broken bat at Fenway a couple years ago? Or the lady that died after being struck by a foul ball at Dodger Stadium last year? Or the little kid that got drilled by a Todd Frazier foul ball last year or the year before? Let's have less of that, please.

To say nothing of the fact that I'm pretty sure that the extra nets could be installed overnight, or whenever the next time the team goes on a roadie and then you'd just be done. People can bitch all they want, but if you are minimizing danger, what sane person is going to be bothered?

Hell, it happen three times just at Yankee Stadium in 2017.

In May, a boy was struck in the head by a portion of Chris Carter's broken bat. A fan sitting beyond the first-base dugout was hit by a 105 mph foul ball off the bat of Aaron Judge in July. In September, a young girl was injured by another 105 mph foul ball off the bat of Todd Frazier and was hospitalized. 

• Thanks 1

On another board I frequent, there's a few vocal folks spewing the two things I said, along with blaming parents. One guy claims he pays 100% perfect attention anytime someone is hitting. Sure thing. 

If a tiny minority stop going to games because of nets, oh well. Maybe parents bringing kids because they're no longer terrified will make up the difference. 

p.s. Yes, in Japan they have full nets. 

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

On another board I frequent, there's a few vocal folks spewing the two things I said, along with blaming parents. One guy claims he pays 100% perfect attention anytime someone is hitting. Sure thing. 

If a tiny minority stop going to games because of nets, oh well. Maybe parents bringing kids because they're no longer terrified will make up the difference. 

p.s. Yes, in Japan they have full nets. 

I don't know which other board you speak of, but if it has some baseball discourse along with anti-net idiots, I could have loads of fun there. PM me.

I'd love to see how "Mr. 100% Attention" would do with me chucking 85 mph fastballs at his head. Yeah, 85 ain't much, but it's the best I've ever been able to do, and it's still plenty hard enough to shatter bones. I shudder to think of trying to get out of the way or catch a 105 mph foul that there is simply no way that you are going to be prepared for.

Hilariously enough, the main guy, whose argument has been that the view will suck, posted that people going to a game shouldn't expect an unobstructed view. HEY, THANKS FOR AGREEING WITH ME! 

Overlooked reason some people don't want nets installed all the way out to the foul pole: would make getting autographs before games next to impossible. Personally as a kid that was one of the biggest things of my fandom and if they could find a way to have the bottom of the nets slightly elevated so that guys could get stuff from fans to sign that would be great.

• Like 1

I was thinking about that last night. You kinda need an easy way to get through the net - like a door. And autographs, as you mention. Maybe raising the net, something like that. But yes, definitely a consideration. 

• Like 2

Spot on, Jae! The cost of the pulley system amortized over a season of games becomes pennies in the fountain, about as costly as dry cleaning the mascots uniform and the uniforms for the vendors. This is to say "nothing" in the greater scheme of things.