DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2019 - MAY

Dolfan in NYC

There's an article up on the Athletic or ESPN this week about the increase in home runs this year, in particular, home runs hit 440 feet or more. Kyle Schwarber added yet another 440+ foot homer to that total last night.

I also like that ESPN and other places are all over things like launch angle, which is shit we talked about on Fangraphs years ago.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

I also like that ESPN and other places are all over things like launch angle, which is shit we talked about on Fangraphs years ago.

Boy.  I dunno.  I am kinda launch angled and exit velocity'ed out right now with how MLB has been hammering that the last couple of years.  I get the significance.  But boy has everyone beat both those talking points to death.

Though the prospect of ESPN goobers talking on it makes me giggle.  Not enough to actually watch ESPN though.  Let's not get crazy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't get it still what exit velocity tells us that isn't self evident.  Maybe it's just the way the dummy announcers use it that's messing me up. I mean someone hits a home run and then the announcers tell me they will check the exit velocity to see if he hit it really hard or not. It seems self evident. Or someone is getting a lot of hits and home runs and they are like "We can prove this by looking to see if he has high exit velocity. Yep it turns out that he's hitting the ball really hard." 

Or a pitcher is not giving up a lot of hits...so we need to confirm this be showing that people do not hit the ball as hard against him as they do against other pitchers.  Yes, there is correlation there, but it seems like it doesn't add information other than the basic fact of the correlation itself...that a hard hit ball is a well hit ball. I feel like I've known that since I was a toddler.

There has to be more to it than that, right?

Edited by piranesi
  • Like 2

It seems to me that it might be more useful as an indicator when the reverse is true. It might be worth giving a chance to a guy who hasn't been getting the hits, but has a generally pretty high exit velocity; or it might be worth sticking clear of a pitcher who seems like he's doing well, but is giving up a bunch of hard hit balls.

Exit Velocity and Launch Angle should be taken together and are very helpful for the hitter because in reviewing film (in conjunction with the numbers) allow a hitter to see how they are making contact and it gives them a visual representation of what they are doing right and wrong (since guys can look at angle to see if they want to focus on ground balls or fly balls, etc..). 

This is why Ed is right and ESPN (and others) throwing it out in vacuum is silly. Yes - the home run was clearly hit very hard. That isn't why teams care about it. But it is a shiny number for rube fans.

Yeah.  Like...I get launch angles as a way of saying - oh dude is now getting lift on his swings so he might be hitting more HR's.  Or the reverse, of course.

And I get exit velo as a gauge for how well a person may be doing.  If a pitcher is continually getting high velo on what is hit off him, even as outs, we know he is not fooling anyone.  If a hitter is getting high velo even when making outs, we know he is hitting into bad luck.  Fair enough.

But like Phil said, everyone has been trotting out both as - OMG!!!  HIS LAUNCH ANGLE IS 900 DEGREES AND EXIT VELO IS 10 BILLION MPH!!! - without giving us any sort of average.  And like Piranesi said - you can tell with the naked eye if something has been smoked. 

So yeah...ok.  Most of the time it's just people throwing out numbers for the sake of numbers to maybe get a numbers mark to get all excited.  Whee!

Mostly, my bitch is I am an idiot with math.  So I don't need a fucking geometry question in the middle of a telecast.  Your mileage may vary.

Thor is now just the seventh pitcher in MLB history to go yard and twirl a 1-0 complete game shutout in the same game (first since Bob Welch with the Dodgers in 1983). Un f'n real.

• Like 1

Holy fucking shit. Kyle Hendricks just nearly pitched the Maddux of all Madduxes. Threw only 81 pitches. Game only lasted 2 hours and 28 minutes.

Missed Jon Lieber's mark by 3 pitches.

• Like 1

So Miguel Andujar got activated from the IL but of James Paxton immediately went on after leaving yesterday's game injured

You can't make this up

The Marlins have now won 10 games.   Hooray.

Also of note, @Josh Mann was in attendance on the North side last night.  And has noted that the Marlins have un-retired #5.  

Derek Jeter can go fuck himself. 

13 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Also of note, @Josh Mann was in attendance on the North side last night.  And has noted that the Marlins have un-retired #5.  

You can thank Strop and Ryan for that. Jesus. I watched Strop walk 2 batters and I thought, yep, I know how this game is going to go.

I will say this - the Orioles might be stinky but at least they have some young guys who are fun to watch.

Chris Davis... not so much

13 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

"Captain Class"

*puke*