DVDVR Message Board

SUPER SHOW-DOWN II - June 7

RIPPA

On 6/8/2019 at 1:06 PM, MORELOCK said:

Nobody has any business commenting on whether or not older wrestlers "need" the money. Y'all have no idea. 

It's public record the obscene amoumt that Taker charges for personal appearances. I think the point is that he is at the point where he can make bank and not have to wrestle matches anymore.

• Like 2

And my point is that no one actually knows that.

If we're to take Meltzer at face value, and most of the people on the board don't seem to have a problem doing that, he doesn't have as much money as one would think. 

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

Taker was at the Niagara Falls Comicon today and was charging $225 FOR AN AUTOGRAPH. Dude doesn't need to a minute of ring time ever again because he needs the money.

How was the line? Lots of folks willing to pony up the dough? I would imagine you are likely correct. Do cons a couple times a month for 3 days of crazy fat money doing signings and photo ops. 

$225 is not too far south of my net pay for 8 hours work. Fuuuuuuuuck, that's a lot of bread for a photo/auto.

When was the last time Taker didn't make you feel bad for him during a match?

Can't imagine too many people will be lining up to work with him after seeing that shoot-tombstone on Goldberg here. Yikes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

When was the last time Taker didn't make you feel bad for him during a match?

Can't imagine too many people will be lining up to work with him after seeing that shoot-tombstone on Goldberg here. Yikes.

Honestly? I'm not sure. I know the first time was Wrestlemania 30 and every match since.

9 hours ago, Infinit said:

Taker was at the Niagara Falls Comicon today and was charging $225 FOR AN AUTOGRAPH. Dude doesn't need to a minute of ring time ever again because he needs the money.

That's a ridiculous price and it's ridiculous that anyone would pay that much for anyone's autograph.

It doesn't, however, say anything about what the entire picture of Taker's current financial situation is.

If you're an old school wrestler, it is in your DNA to fleece fans dumb enough to pay the price for a photograph. If the demand is there, he can charge whatever he wants. 

All the old boxers do it. Conor McGregor does it. Are we assuming Conor is broke as well?

Cornering the market and raising the price is one of the most simple economic principles there is.

Edited by Rick
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

How was the line? Lots of folks willing to pony up the dough? I would imagine you are likely correct. Do cons a couple times a month for 3 days of crazy fat money doing signings and photo ops. 

$225 is not too far south of my net pay for 8 hours work. Fuuuuuuuuck, that's a lot of bread for a photo/auto.

I didn't go, a friend did. And he said that Taker looked like he was in rough shape.

4 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

That's a ridiculous price and it's ridiculous that anyone would pay that much for anyone's autograph.

It doesn't, however, say anything about what the entire picture of Taker's current financial situation is.

My point is that at this stage of his life it would probably be safer and smarter to monetize his fame in ways other than doing it in the ring.

• Like 1

The show sounds like it went exactly the way I expected it to.  Hearing Meltzer rant about it was something else and my wife was completely perplexed by it all.  But I will say that Ali is a goddamn great man and it warms my heart to see what he's doing with his earnings.  You could say Finn needs to watch out with that tweet but I honestly loved it.  It's so easy to rip apart WWE but there are a ton of great people that work there that I just can't help but support.  Here's hoping more wrestlers find ways to say "Fuck this" and not do the shows going forward.

5 hours ago, Infinit said:

I didn't go, a friend did. And he said that Taker looked like he was in rough shape.

"You can't judge what shape a person is in by just seeing them in a certain shape." - our new logic

• Haha 2