DVDVR Message Board

SUPER SHOW-DOWN II - June 7

RIPPA

14 minutes ago, ComingToAmerica said:

Probably, but he probably got paid multiple times more for that match than producers get paid in a year. The Saudi Arabia shows have created some perverse incentives.

I still don’t understand why you’d have to put him out there to accidentally kill another man, and himself to give him that money.

This company is so PR obsessed right now, why they’d want one of the businesses legends to die in the ring, and for an extremely controversial country like Saudi Arabia is a mystery? Such fucking backwards ass decision making. ...And we thought Cody smashing a throne was a bad look for a wrestling company.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

But I've always gotten the sense that Matt Riddle is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Well, Dana White was left with little choice but to look kinda dumb with his finger and his thumb in the shape of an L on his forehead.

Yep.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I still don’t understand why you’d have to put him out there to accidentally kill another man, and himself to give him that money.

This company is so PR obsessed right now, why they’d want one of the businesses legends to die in the ring, and for an extremely controversial country like Saudi Arabia is a mystery? Such fucking backwards ass decision making. ...And we thought Cody smashing a throne was a bad look for a wrestling company.

What you say makes sense when you look at it that way, but businesses don't always look at things that way and aren't in the habit of paying people for nothing. And tbf, Taker might not want that either.

Is controversial a framistan for 'well paying'?

Bigger long-term picture for WWE is global. That's where the growth is. These shows are critical to the bottom line right now.

I think there's a good chance we will see better care taken over match pairings and match structure from here on in.

Edited by ComingToAmerica

34 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Since his claim to that money is generated by his value as an in-ring performer, he'd have to perform to receive that money. Makes sense to me. "Brand ambassadors" or whatever they're calling them now aren't worth nearly as much. 

He has access to other income streams. Nobody put a gun to his head and made him get in that ring. 

31 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Since his claim to that money is generated by his value as an in-ring performer, he'd have to perform to receive that money. Makes sense to me. "Brand ambassadors" or whatever they're calling them now aren't worth nearly as much. 

He has access to other income streams. Nobody put a gun to his head and made him get in that ring. 

If he has to perform, then work another Cena match. Don’t put him in there, and allow him to work a match with another way past their prime performer. Especially after a couple of years ago where he couldn’t perform with a younger Roman Reigns. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

17 hours ago, L_W_P said:

As an independent contractor Rollins doesn't have insurance. The hospital evicted him as soon as he was able to stand up.

I realize this is just a joke, but the sad thing is, as an independent contractor, he is also contractually obligated to buy and maintain his own health insurance.

13 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I realize this is just a joke, but the sad thing is, as an independent contractor, he is also contractually obligated to buy and maintain his own health insurance.

tenor.gif?itemid=14135224

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm pretty sure in the case of Goldberg he has said he doesn't need the money. I think we can comment on what wrestlers themselves have said.

Oh Goldberg, definitely. That guy still bangs his head against lockers, so he’s not the kind of person you should get health tips from.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

2 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Nobody has any business commenting on whether or not older wrestlers "need" the money. Y'all have no idea. 

There are older people on this board who have probably had money problems and health problems as well as active pro wrestlers as well, so they can comment all they want.

• Like 4

Hey, I didn't say "you can't," it's just that nobody in this board knows anything about the finances of either man. So if you're jumping to conclusions in that regard, you're basically just guessing with nothing to base it on. Everyone on the board is free to baselessly speculate as often as they want to. It's just irritating when people pretend it's not baseless. 

Edited by MORELOCK

5 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

If the rumors of Taker having investments go bad are true, he might actually need the cash. 

The warning signs are all there. His real estate advice to some of the boys in the back hasn’t worked out. big-show-crying-1452447865-800.jpg

• Haha 7

https://streamable.com/n74h9

Goldberg is lucky to be alive dude. Ive obviously seen his tweet but what's his physical status? Imagine flying home from that place with a spinal cord injury. After his freak accident in the Joe match on Superstars, Tyson Kidd said his doctors made him wait a few extra days in the hospital for a medivac to transfer him to wherever he was getting surgery because a 15-25 mph car crash could kill him. Now you're a 300 pound dude cramped on a  plane for 15 hours with definitely a concussion and possibly a catastrophic spinal injury? Screw everything about that.

Lost in the myriad of awful things about this WWF Saudi bullshit is: what's the plan if someone gets dumped on their head over there again and gets paralyzed or worse? Z Pak time? It's nuts to think that the chaos around something like that being mishandled could very well spark a legitimate international incident.

The cynic in me says the Prince would pay for world class doctors tone flown in, if needed. I would expect in places like Dohar and the like are already filled with top level physicians, for the royal families and all the other billionaires or celebrities there. And if not, someone is on the first jet from London or Paris or Berlin or Tokyo. 

I dont think they wold spare any expense to good PR after an accident. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

The cynic in me says the Prince would pay for world class doctors tone flown in, if needed. I would expect in places like Dohar and the like are already filled with top level physicians, for the royal families and all the other billionaires or celebrities there. And if not, someone is on the first jet from London or Paris or Berlin or Tokyo. 

I dont think they wold spare any expense to good PR after an accident. 

In retrospect it was maybe a tad hyperbolic of a post and that might be due to my lack of knowledge of the area. I figured it was like well get Goldberg to the MASH tent but I did forget this is the Royal family were talking about so yea I'm sure there's a plan, but like imagine a guy dies and he doesn't get proper care from the Saudis for whatever reason, be it response time or just general malpractice, and then accusations start getting thrown around and then the fuckman in Chief gets involved because he's Vince's buddy and it becomes a whole thing. That would be ridiculous but its completely a thing that could happen

But on the other hand, show should have ended with with Noam Dar, Dean Malenko, Barry Horrowitz and Colt Cabana running in and forcefully attempting to circumsize the Undertaker only for hometown hero, Mohammed Hassan to make the save and be all "hey sorry about that piano wire thing a while back, bro"

I know Taker vs Goldberg was "You're not getting booked" levels of bad. 

But the way Shane McMahon is portrayed nowadays has me screaming at my TV. He is a wrestler wrestling actual "workrate Matches", he's having back and forth matches with 2,99 kickouts and shit like that. 

Did this start with the programme vs Kane and is only now apparent because he is a regular? It fucking sucks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ReiseReise said:

I know Taker vs Goldberg was "You're not getting booked" levels of bad. 

But the way Shane McMahon is portrayed nowadays has me screaming at my TV. He is a wrestler wrestling actual "workrate Matches", he's having back and forth matches with 2,99 kickouts and shit like that. 

Did this start with the programme vs Kane and is only now apparent because he is a regular? It fucking sucks. 

It happened so gradually I barely noticed but he went from an attraction guy known for falling off high things to a legit member of the roster whose head turns into a tomato at the slightest effort. Is that from being on the gas btw? It would explain why it happens to him and Lesnar.