Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Bischoff, btw, strongly denies this. And that they had favored nations clauses in 96. And that he offered Bret a contract that year.

And....

I wouldn't believe a word that comes out of Bischoff's mouth.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I wouldn't believe a word that comes out of Bischoff's mouth.

Who is the #1 "don't believe a damn thing he says" person in wrestling history?  I'm thinking its Hogan, but the wrestling industry is full of dudes who love telling whoopers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Victator said:

 I watched the AEW preshow and that battle royal is one of the worst things I have ever seen. 

What we talking, top 10? Top 5?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Who is the #1 "don't believe a damn thing he says" person in wrestling history?  I'm thinking its Hogan, but the wrestling industry is full of dudes who love telling whoopers.

Depends on the context. Definitely Heyman if he's telling you the cheque won't bounce. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrianS81177 said:

AEW needs this guy as a character:

 

I love that commercial. I think I'd rank it just behind the Minute Maid commercial with Robert Loggia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'd think they would have waited until Survivor Series so they can do champion vs champion and have him come out after that match, you'd have no idea who he is cashing in on. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Billy Gunn was never going to be a singles star.  He was not very good in the ring, not a good promo, and has nothing about him that says he could be a star.  I'm never looked at Billy gun and thought, he needed a bigger push.  He's a good tag team guy, but he probably wouldn't get to Intercontinental level in my personal promotion (Shout out to Stugotz).

Billy's match with Benoit at Armageddon 2000 was pretty much his last shot at being a singles guy. He blew up really early into the match and nearly dropped Benoit on his head with a gorilla press slam. If Benoit couldn't get something good out of someone, they were pretty much worthless.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't knock Billy's punches though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Billy still does stomp punches from the 80s. Everyone else moved on to thigh slap kicks, or just chops, or slap punches. But he stamps his foot on the ground to add noise to strikes,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Billy's match with Benoit at Armageddon 2000 was pretty much his last shot at being a singles guy. He blew up really early into the match and nearly dropped Benoit on his head with a gorilla press slam. If Benoit couldn't get something good out of someone, they were pretty much worthless.

Bruce Pritchard said on his podcast (and come to your own conclusion on his honesty in general) that Billy suffered from asthma or similar respiratory illness that held him back and was responsible for him blowing up so bad and presumably instances like Eddie describes. 

Either way, whether because of his health issues or as demonstrated before our eyes in the quality of his singles matches, he was certainly more suited to tag matches.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PWI is saying that AOP will be returning shortly on the Smackdown side

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2019 at 2:47 PM, odessasteps said:

It’s often said in journalism and academia that the quickest way to stop loving something is to cover/study it. I had a prof in grad school who read comics but would not teach them for that reason. 

When I graduated with my cinema studies degree, I couldn't stand to watch any movies for a good 8-10 months. I honestly still don't have the same passion or interest I did going into college, so yeah, this makes total sense. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah my screenwriting grad degree did the same thing.  I still can't get into TV shows years later, but I'm good with movies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

PWI is saying that AOP will be returning shortly on the Smackdown side

Please repackage them as Liberal Congresspeople just so they can hashtag #AOPisWWE

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@supremebveThat Trout/Deion analogy is perfect for encapsulating where you're coming from. 

Re: Billy Gunn, I think (as @Matt Dalludes to) that knowing when to just let tag team specialists be tag team specialists is something lost. Plus, the world needs good tag team wrestling. I miss how seriously, for example, the NWA Tag Team Championship was taken. Shit, they got me hot for U.S. Tag Team Championship matches in '88-'89, for that matter. 

They so rarely get it right when splitting up a tag team. There are only so many Shawn Michaels's out there. 

I am surprised at hearing how well Kofi Kingston's title reign is going, in that regard, or at least the impression that I get is that he's doing pretty well in his run. If you had told me that a New Day member would be World Champ in 2019 a few years back, I would have looked forward to the Big E championship reign I knew was coming. Kofi turned into what I'd consider a very good tag worker - good selling and a good FIP as a face, adept with his cheating and good at the rapid tag heel control part of a match as a heel. I wouldn't have put him much beyond that myself, but good for him if he's making the most of his singles career renaissance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I am surprised at hearing how well Kofi Kingston's title reign is going, in that regard, or at least the impression that I get is that he's doing pretty well in his run. If you had told me that a New Day member would be World Champ in 2019 a few years back, I would have looked forward to the Big E championship reign I knew was coming. Kofi turned into what I'd consider a very good tag worker - good selling and a good FIP as a face, adept with his cheating and good at the rapid tag heel control part of a match as a heel. I wouldn't have put him much beyond that myself, but good for him if he's making the most of his singles career renaissance. 

Kofi was having good singles matches for years before New Day. It just that so damn many of them were with Ziggler and Cesaro to the point where it was tiring.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Kofi was having good singles matches for years before New Day. It just that so damn many of them were with Ziggler and Cesaro to the point where it was tiring.

Sure, but I wouldn't say that they were the type of matches that made me think that he'd fit right into the main-event style matches that a World Champ usually wrestles in the company. I always thought of him as a perfectly decent worker in-ring, not much more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

When I graduated with my cinema studies degree, I couldn't stand to watch any movies for a good 8-10 months. I honestly still don't have the same passion or interest I did going into college, so yeah, this makes total sense. 

Of course - those are arts/humanities degrees. I've never heard of a science student whose love of the thing they were studying wasn't deepened by their study.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Sure, but I wouldn't say that they were the type of matches that made me think that he'd fit right into the main-event style matches that a World Champ usually wrestles in the company.

I can see this argument. I always thought Kofi was solid, occasionally good, basically perfect for IC/US level. Its been impressive how he has stepped up for the main event matches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't even say that it's specific to Humanities. I was a Lit major and I still read fifty or sixty books a year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Of course - those are arts/humanities degrees. I've never heard of a science student whose love of the thing they were studying wasn't deepened by their study.

I've got a friend that was going for their biochem doctorate and quit completely after some terrible experiences with coworkers/management in the lab

 

ETA: Fun fact, he drew my avatar

Edited by Bustronaut
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Moxley was on something this week called Flip The Strip. Mentioning it here because Mox discussed getting a call from Steve Austin and them having a chat. So whatever beef there may have been from the awkward podcast, sounds like it's gone. 

Won't stop people from continuing to bring it up, but there it is. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

 

Won't stop people from continuing to bring it up, but there it is. 

It’s hard not to. The gifs, and parody videos were everywhere. That interview did him no favors. Those Stone Cold podcasts did nobody any favors whatsoever really. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

You'd think they would have waited until Survivor Series so they can do champion vs champion and have him come out after that match, you'd have no idea who he is cashing in on. 

Even better, cash in during the match. Now it's a triple threat for both belts.

Would be kinda poetic justice on Rollins.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...