DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2019 WRESTLING TALK

What would you say that a worker the level of Lio Rush would demand on the Indies?  I'm completely ignorant on how much these guys make, but 300K is less money than it seems if you're constantly renting cars, buying flights, and renting hotels.

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

What would you say that a worker the level of Lio Rush would demand on the Indies?  I'm completely ignorant on how much these guys make, but 300K is less money than it seems if you're constantly renting cars, buying flights, and renting hotels.

I'm pretty sure the company pick up the flights 

Just now, ChesterCopperpot said:

That's good, but these guys are on the road for what 200-250 days a year?  A hotel room is generally around $100 a night, a rental car is $100+ depending on how far you're driving it.  That shit adds up fucking fast.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

I always thought the general consensus was that WWE makes the workers pay for their travel (IE airline tickets, car rentals, gas, etc).

Lio Rush, basically someone who is a manager and someone who has ruffled management's feathers more than once, was offered $300k per year?

Get the fuck out of here. This is one of those times where it's MalwareInsider claiming a WWE source, which could be anybody for all we know. I also didn't see any mention that it was $300k per year, but just a deal for a $300k 5 year deal. That would imply it is just $60k per, not $300k. In any other sport when someone reports on a contract extension or a new contract, it's the total number of dollars along with the number of years. When you report that Bryce Harper signed with the Phillies, you don't say he was offered a contract for 13 years in the $25 million range, you say he was offered a 13 year contract worth $330 million.

Yeah, I'm going to go out on a limb and say nofuture is wrong in their interpretation of the offer's worth if it's even real.

And again, here's the text from the article:

Rush's claims are interesting, especially since WWE sources have claimed today that Rush was offered a new, five-year contract that was said to be in the $300 thousand range, but turned it down, instead, according to multiple sources, asking for double that number.

That indicates 5 years total worth $300k, or rather, $60k per year. What do you say to that, @Hooker?

Keep in mind that Lio may either still be on his NXT contract or is dealing with a convoluted 205 Live deal, and most signs point to those guys not getting paid what they deserve even by WWE standards.

If you're in NXT and pull mid 5-figures, you can make it work. They're paying for your travel, you have access to a great gym, etc. But on the main roster? It's not worth it. Even going half on a rental car/hotel room will set you back around $15-20K annually. And that's before taxes, insurance, rent, utilities. And the guys don't even have Total Divas or modeling gigs for consideration. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Lio Rush, basically someone who is a manager and someone who has ruffled management's feathers more than once, was offered $300k per year?

Get the fuck out of here. This is one of those times where it's MalwareInsider claiming a WWE source, which could be anybody for all we know. I also didn't see any mention that it was $300k per year, but just a deal for a $300k 5 year deal. That would imply it is just $60k per, not $300k. In any other sport when someone reports on a contract extension or a new contract, it's the total number of dollars along with the number of years. When you report that Bryce Harper signed with the Phillies, you don't say he was offered a contract for 13 years in the $25 million range, you say he was offered a 13 year contract worth $330 million.

Yeah, I'm going to go out on a limb and say nofuture is wrong in their interpretation of the offer's worth if it's even real.

And again, here's the text from the article:

That indicates 5 years total worth $300k, or rather, $60k per year. What do you say to that, @Hooker?

I'll let Mike Johnson say this

Edited by ChesterCopperpot
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

I'll let Mike Johnson say this

Ok, and? That doesn't say it was $300k per year either.

EDIT: I actually don't even know why I'm bothering debating the words of a fucking scam artist whose website has been loaded with malware and other junk for years now and he doesn't bother doing anything about it. Even if you look at the Twitter thread he's asked to not be obtuse and Johnson's response is laughable: "facts aren't obtuse."

What a fucking dope.

Edited by Craig H

300K for a constant pain in the ass who isn't working matches seems like a whole lot,  right? 60K is too low to even consider with that travel schedule, but if they're paying him $300K what are they paying someone like Apollo Crews or Dash and Dawson? 

• Like 3

Just now, supremebve said:

300K for a constant pain in the ass who isn't working matches seems like a whole lot,  right? 60K is too low to even consider with that travel schedule, but if they're paying him $300K what are they paying someone like Apollo Crews or Dash and Dawson? 

Exactly. We're going to offer this guy who openly talks about how we don't like him six figures per year, but the rest of you who are actually working matches can fuck right off and enjoy the same money you're currently making.

Also, how is no one considering that someone from WWE did indeed put this out there to make Lio look bad?

Jesus. Lio isn't even someone I'm a big fan of, hell, I don't even think I'm a fan of his, and yet this is all very defensible.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Exactly. We're going to offer this guy who openly talks about how we don't like him six figures per year, but the rest of you who are actually working matches can fuck right off and enjoy the same money you're currently making.

Also, how is no one considering that someone from WWE did indeed put this out there to make Lio look bad?

Jesus. Lio isn't even someone I'm a big fan of, hell, I don't even think I'm a fan of his, and yet this is all very defensible.

I imagine 150-200 is the range is what he's looking at. It's enough that he was excited to sign,  but also low enough that he realized it barely covers his expenses at the end of the year. $300K feels like something put out to make him look bad, and $60K is laughable for someone on the road that much. 

WWE is beyond petty though.  I like Reba saying "I'm trying to bite my tongue"  well I already know that's bullshit because when has she EVER tried to be the bigger person?  lol 

I would believe the $60K a year number or close to it because that is exactly what Enzo was making as his guarantee on the main roster.  That didn't include TV bonuses and merch but for Lio it sounds like he isn't even getting what he deserves for the merch that has been sold. 

Also, you have to be careful about the numbers thrown around.  Let's say it really was a deal worth $300K a year.  It could be based on incentives like TV bonuses which aren't guaranteed. 

Do all the wrestlers have to pay for their own hotels and car fees or is that something a few of them can get put in their contracts? It's pretty fucked if a company says you have to travel to work your job but aren't willing to provide you with the means to do so. At any job I've had where I had to travel we at least got reimbursed for mileage and food costs. I'd also think a decent CPA could set up a way for them to get all these expenses as tax writeoffs.

For years the WWE has pulled shit with the wrestlers because they were the only (or at least the far best) game in town. Given how big the indies are getting and the possible success of AEW they're going to lose their leverage in that department.