Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Recommended Posts

Even if Vince went along with the WCW rebuild, it probably would have sucked, even with WWF talent jumping ship. The bigger names weren't available until 2002/2003, and someone like Sting was a fresh reborn Christian and didn't like the WWF product (or the WCW in the real late years). You'd have to wait for Steiner in the new WCW until late 2002. Hogan, Nash & Hall would come into WWF in reality in February 2002. Flair would be late 2001. It'd just be a wrestling show in a horrible timeslot on a Saturday night with lower card wrestlers like Hugh Morrus, and they'd likely have to position any top name like Booker T or whoever near the start of the show and viewership would fall off towards the end of the two hours. Basically all of this shit was doomed from the start.

If you don't rely on the aging WCW stars, you'd have to rely on WWF stars at the top of the card for a WCW show until they build people up in that brand to be at the top of the card. And WWF at that time is starting to ease into the attitude that we all know now, of never really building up people to the main event outside of a few people. That rewind post on Reddit points out how Matt & Jeff Hardy were hot as shit around this time (the chair shots angle with Austin & HHH beating the dog shit out of the Hardys and Lita, while kinda gross, helped) and then Jeff wins the IC title from HHH... only to lose it back to HHH, all of them get beat down again, and that's the last sniff of the main event for the Hardys. Jeff had a brief moment in 2002 with that ladder match against Undertaker, but that was it really for a long, long time.

It's not far fetched to assume they'd do the same thing with the WCW talent. If Mike Awesome started to get extremely over, would they recognize that and push him, or rely on the same people at the top of the card because "fuck you what else are you gonna watch?".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

What is motivation to be 24/7 champ, if I may ask? The perk seems to be having the lower card guys stalk you online and in person. I'm probably putting too much thought into it,  I should really just relax. 

I was thinking earlier today that the 24/7 Title would be perfect for Braun Strowman as something to keep him occupied.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RVD did get super over at that point, and the WWE capitalised on that about as well as you'd expect.

If Wince's WCW had been based around the Radicalz and Jericho while they waited for the big money guys, that might have worked. If they were doing a hostile takeover angle, like. You thought you'd seen the last of us? Think again. We're back, and we're on top this time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would really love WWE to bring Ciampa back to NXT when he recovers and have him align with Gargano again have the crowd get behind Ciampa to have Gargano turn on Ciampa and they have their feud again but the roles reversed.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Casey said:

Even if Vince went along with the WCW rebuild, it probably would have sucked, even with WWF talent jumping ship. The bigger names weren't available until 2002/2003, and someone like Sting was a fresh reborn Christian and didn't like the WWF product (or the WCW in the real late years). You'd have to wait for Steiner in the new WCW until late 2002. Hogan, Nash & Hall would come into WWF in reality in February 2002. Flair would be late 2001. It'd just be a wrestling show in a horrible timeslot on a Saturday night with lower card wrestlers like Hugh Morrus, and they'd likely have to position any top name like Booker T or whoever near the start of the show and viewership would fall off towards the end of the two hours. Basically all of this shit was doomed from the start.

If you don't rely on the aging WCW stars, you'd have to rely on WWF stars at the top of the card for a WCW show until they build people up in that brand to be at the top of the card. And WWF at that time is starting to ease into the attitude that we all know now, of never really building up people to the main event outside of a few people. That rewind post on Reddit points out how Matt & Jeff Hardy were hot as shit around this time (the chair shots angle with Austin & HHH beating the dog shit out of the Hardys and Lita, while kinda gross, helped) and then Jeff wins the IC title from HHH... only to lose it back to HHH, all of them get beat down again, and that's the last sniff of the main event for the Hardys. Jeff had a brief moment in 2002 with that ladder match against Undertaker, but that was it really for a long, long time.

It's not far fetched to assume they'd do the same thing with the WCW talent. If Mike Awesome started to get extremely over, would they recognize that and push him, or rely on the same people at the top of the card because "fuck you what else are you gonna watch?".

Agreed. My point is that the WCW relaunch was shit on not because it happened in Tacoma instead of Atlanta (and people think Atlanta would have reacted well to a McMahon-led WCW?) - it was shit on because the product that was given was bad (thanks, Buff!) and given the nWo Nitro treatment with way too much setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally started a 24/7 thread

Please put the social media posts you insist on posting there

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Boydy said:

I would really love WWE to bring Ciampa back to NXT when he recovers and have him align with Gargano again have the crowd get behind Ciampa to have Gargano turn on Ciampa and they have their feud again but the roles reversed.

ofGVWQf.gif

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for some reason, I think of Mr. Niebla when I see the name Mr. Aguila.. which is even more confusing when you consider Lita worked with Mr. Aguila/Essa Rios/Papi Chulo.

Lita seconding Mr. Niebla would be a slightly different dynamic

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

for some reason, I think of Mr. Niebla when I see the name Mr. Aguila.. which is even more confusing when you consider Lita worked with Mr. Aguila/Essa Rios/Papi Chulo.

Lita seconding Mr. Niebla would be a slightly different dynamic

Zacarias > Lita

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was over at PWO and read that Pez Whatley and Ole Anderson were all buddy buddy in 1983. Is that the that the most random mismatched partner pairing of all time? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Zacarias > Lita

El Dandy would disagree with you

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

clicked on a Bob Backlund vs Narcissist Lex Luger match on YouTube and the prematch ad is from "Narcissist Help"... which is an interesting advertising target.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Boydy said:

I would really love WWE to bring Ciampa back to NXT when he recovers and have him align with Gargano again have the crowd get behind Ciampa to have Gargano turn on Ciampa and they have their feud again but the roles reversed.

tenor.gif?itemid=6105594

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That might be a worse take than Jericho over Okada for the IWGP title. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AxB said:

RVD did get super over at that point, and the WWE capitalised on that about as well as you'd expect.

If Wince's WCW had been based around the Radicalz and Jericho while they waited for the big money guys, that might have worked. If they were doing a hostile takeover angle, like. You thought you'd seen the last of us? Think again. We're back, and we're on top this time.

They put him over John Cena for the world title on pay per view. He got busted by the cops. Not sure what else the company could have done. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Infinit said:

El Dandy would disagree with you

I am not one to doubt El Dandy.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Dewar said:

They put him over John Cena for the world title on pay per view. He got busted by the cops. Not sure what else the company could have done. 

Not during the InVasion they didn't. All he got to do there was give Austin his watch back. The WWE was years late on RVD's push. Not striking while the Iron was hot. It was a mildly reheated, slightly warmer than room temperature iron by the time they struck it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, AxB said:

Not during the InVasion they didn't. All he got to do there was give Austin his watch back. The WWE was years late on RVD's push. Not striking while the Iron was hot. It was a mildly reheated, slightly warmer than room temperature iron by the time they struck it.

Even then, the RVD push not happening given what happened when they did is the most appropriate non-push ever.

There's "no one saw this coming" failed pushes, there were pushes everyone could see coming, and then there's "wait a second. The wrestler who always talks about enjoying smoking marijuana, and was very popular with fans due to how much he talks about enjoying marijuana, who the fans wanted as champ because they liked how he talked about smoking marijuana, would make WWE look bad when as WWE Champion, he gets pulled over by cops and is found with marijuana on him that he presumably planned to smoke? YOU DON'T SAY!"

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the weed did Sabu and RVD's WWE careers in, it was probably having prescription pills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

I wouldn't be surprised that if he hung around long enough for the brand extension era that Owen would have gotten a token "lifetime achievment" title reign like some others did. 

Or if he retires from full-time 2000-01 anyway, he still pops back for one-off appearances in ROH like Lance Storm and oddball "Produce" shows in Japan, and maybe one last cagey veteran WWE run like Finlay did or as part of Bret's return. 

And you know damn well in 2019, Janela would be doing everything he can to get a free agent Owen Hart to come to Spring Break. 

I distinctly remember reading an interview with him during his run with Jarrett where he said he wanted to retire from full-time in 2-3 years, then do a couple tours a year with NJPW.  Can't find it now, but it was an internet interview in 1998 on a site I don't remember the name of...so either it's going to be impossible to find or I dreamed it and it'll be REALLY impossible to find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Owen Hart working people like Fujita and Bob Sapp in the early-to-mid 2000s NJPW would have been... something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Casey said:

Owen Hart working people like Fujita and Bob Sapp in the early-to-mid 2000s NJPW would have been... something.

I always assumed he saw himself as slimming back down to junior size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Boydy said:

I would really love WWE to bring Ciampa back to NXT when he recovers and have him align with Gargano again have the crowd get behind Ciampa to have Gargano turn on Ciampa and they have their feud again but the roles reversed.

Hard pass.

Those 2 should be like Zayn and Owens - As far away from each other as they can, need at least 2-3 years to let that rest.

Also what's  all this "DDP as the Stalker sucked" hot take BS. The angle was great, Page was a legit shocker & the reveal/promo is still one of the most surreal home runs WWE ever hit.

Sure the booking went to shit but the choice of Page was perfectly fine.
 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The DDP reveal and subsequent promo was great, I'll give you that. But everything that came before it and after it was just shit, I'm sorry.

8 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I always assumed he saw himself as slimming back down to junior size.

Owen/Kanemoto doesn't really do anything for me. Aren't these years of New Japan generally considered the dark ages or whatever? Their junior division just seems really lacking, but maybe I've been spoiled by the talent they've had in that division for the past handful of years, which is where most of my NJPW viewing comes from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...