DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2019 WRESTLING TALK

8 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’ve been reading results, but isn’t the current storyline that Vince wants Elias as the face of Smackdown?

Also do you mean that Vince only hates Roman because he’s not on the authority’s side like Seth was? Because that is usually part of that storyline. As they did the same with Austin.

Elias was the obvious means to an end to introduce Roman. With Shane supposedly defending his father's honor, it gives Elias a nice spot. Being a McMahon adjacent means they see you as valuable.

Vince had nothing to do with Seth's 2014 heel turn. That was all Triple H and Stephanie. Roman has no use for any Authority figure, never has. And just last week, Roman said he would have punched whoever was in the ring with him at the time. It just so happened to be Vince.

Some of this ties into Shane's and, by extension, Miz's daddy issues. That's a big part of what's happening in the current story.

The Authority have never said they hated Roman. If he's to be believed, Triple H said in October 2015 (just after Rollins had to vacate due to his knee injury) that he considered going after Roman first when looking to break up the Shield the year prior. The reason he didn't is Hunter felt Roman wouldn't stoop to the dirtiest level to become champ. What he meant is Seth was dumb enough to fall for his spiel and he didn't think he could dupe Roman so easily.

Roman isn't Austin,  but he also doesn't operate with a "stay on your side of the room and I'll do likewise" approach. I think the Authority would happily accept Roman into the fold (TV wise).  They've had ample reason to fire him, yet haven't. I know, it's WWE, so on and so forth. But Vince likes having someone stand up to him (note KO being brought back in by Vince despite the bloody headbutt). Embracing Roman would be even easier.

• Thanks 2

Hold on though. Shane appears on both shows without any question, makes matches and assigns referees (like a general manager only they don't have general managers anymore) and his main beef is against Roman. He's only sending his proxy's to fight. That's not a Roman vs Authority story line? If it's not, I'm pretty sure most people think it is. 

15 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

Hold on though. Shane appears on both shows without any question, makes matches and assigns referees (like a general manager only they don't have general managers anymore) and his main beef is against Roman. 

Which explains the cage match versus Miz. 

From a

3 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Which explains the cage match versus Miz. 

Which actually makes him more of an authority figure in my eyes. 

From a Smackdown review last week: 

Shane O Mac placed Reigns in a typically controversial situation: he would have to face The B-Team in a handicap match, with Elias on hand as the special outside enforcer.

Unless I'm mistaken I don't think the Miz had anything to do with that segment at all. 

They just can't let the UUDD champion rest.  He shouldn't have to address the trolls but I get it. 

By the way,  do I expect him to say otherwise?  Hell no lol..   but I wouldn't say something did not happen if it can be proven that it did happen so with him sticking his neck out I would say it did not happen.  

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
'Stan life'

17 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

You're right on all counts, but the perception at the time was that TNA was giving these old guys all the spots that should have gone to their younger talent--Samoa Joe even shot on Nash and Hall on PPV about it because he was pissed Hall no-showed a main event--

That was a work to try to make up for the no show. Apparently Joe went too far and Nash slapped him in the back. I think a lot of that perception went too insider fans. A lot of these guys got eyeballs on the show then after awhile, people saw the shows were bad and stayed away. I don't think there is a big enough star to get people to keep people watching a bad show. 

I think the only magic bullet left is Steve Austin doing a comeback run, since he has not watered his reputation. But that is because he cares about his legacy. Otherwise I am sure he could do some 06 Hulk Hogan bullshit. 

After that maybe CM Punk? He has not done his reputation any favors. You can Brock and Ronda lost in UFC, but I think we know the difference. I do think he would generate interest and that WWE would ruin it in less than a month. Daniel Bryan went from coming back as a big deal to jobbing the WWE belt to Kofi Kingston in a mid card match. 

There was a story and I can't remember the particulars. But business had been down in Memphis or WCW and someone asked "What can we do to draw in June?" and they were told "Nothing but if we start working now, we can draw in August."

Also - since the WWE cancelled the SDL house show tonight, besides Roman, except everyone in the actual MITB matches to be on the show

Also....

Allan rounded up a lot of the crazy Vince stories (most of them have the source with them or are easy to tell they are from a book (like Jericho's or Bret Hart's)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Holy shit, are they planning on doing another “We are sorry. We’ll promise to do better.” segment again?

Maybe they can spin it, but this time Vince wants the locker room to apologize. It’ll be another Authority angle, but it’ll funny to see that dumb twist.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

What exactly came out of the 'reboot' they did?  

- Ryder and Hawkins won the tag titles 

- Mustafa Ali was pushed,  injured and then positioned in the midcard 

- NXT talents were brought up,  some were pushed like Lacey Evans and Lars Sullivan,  others did nothing. 

- Black and Ricochet were brought up.  They tagged for a while and won some matches.  Then split,  then Ricochet jobbed to 'Ravishing' Robert Roode

- They listened to the fans "new stars,  fresh match ups" in the way of Kofi and Becky but then put Becky in a feud with Lacey and yet another feud with Charlotte. 

- McMahons all over TV.  Vince as a heel authority figure again.  Shane as a heel authority figure appearing on both shows.

• Like 1

I don't watch WWE anymore but I feel like the "reboot" promo thing was done before AEW was announced, if so I wonder if Vince was thinking that they would sign Omega and/or the Bucks and that would have been the basis of the changes 

NXT talents were brought up,  some were pushed like Lacey Evans and Lars Sullivan,  others did nothing.

I love this so much.  Call up a double-digit number of people and then the only ones to get a real push are the same types Vince has, does, and will always push.  Marginally talented blonde titty lady and marginally talented big meathead.  It's like the rest were window dressing or a convenient excuse. "God dammit pal!  We made 20 callups!  I can't help it that only these two got over!"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I love this so much.  Call up a double-digit number of people and then the only ones to get a real push are the same types Vince has, does, and will always push.  Marginally talented blonde titty lady and marginally talented big meathead.  It's like the rest were window dressing or a convenient excuse. "God dammit pal!  We made 20 callups!  I can't help it that only these two got over!"

They and Black were likely the ones originally intended to come up.

13 minutes ago, Eivion said:

They and Black were likely the ones originally intended to come up.

They had a tough time getting people on TV before the most recent call ups.  Then they bring up like 10 more people but release no one. How is there even room for anyone at this point?  I've seen people say "when they going to call up Shayna,  when they going to call up The Undisputed Era?"   Where is the room for them?  

Look at it like a basketball team.  You have 12 guys but only 5 can play at a time and only one can take a shot on a possession.  RAW and SDL don't have the minutes for everyone to play and they don't have enough shots to go around with the roster they have. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

They had a tough time getting people on TV before the most recent call ups.  Then they bring up like 10 more people but release no one. How is there even room for anyone at this point?  I've seen people say "when they going to call up Shayna,  when they going to call up The Undisputed Era?"   Where is the room for them?  

Look at it like a basketball team.  You have 12 guys but only 5 can play at a time and only one can take a shot on a possession.  RAW and SDL don't have the minutes for everyone to play and they don't have enough shots to go around with the roster they have. 

There is room for Shayna on Raw. I still don't think UE have a great spot anywhere on the main roster even if the main roster was done well. Honestly, Raw has the time to use people. They just don't manage it well at all. Beyond that NXT has proven people don't need to be on the show every week or at least wrestle every week. They need to go back to using promos vids and backstage skits for tv regularly instead of regulating most of it to social media.

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

There is room for Shayna on Raw. I still don't think UE have a great spot anywhere on the main roster even if the main roster was done well. Honestly, Raw has the time to use people. They just don't manage it well at all. Beyond that NXT has proven people don't need to be on the show every week or at least wrestle every week. They need to go back to using promos vids and backstage skits for tv regularly instead of regulating most of it to social media.

But at that point you are asking them to limit the screen time of Roman Reigns and all their little pet projects like Lacey Evans and Lars Sullivan and for some reason Baron Corbin. Plus, limit the time of Vince and Shane and Stephanie and these longwinded ass promos,  it would take a complete overhaul that they are seemingly unwilling to commit to. You're right that in order to grow the tag division and these other things then you need to distribute more time to that division and something else is pushed to the following week but I don't remember a time when they ever managed a roster well on these 3 hour RAWs and now they are adding more and more people to the main rosters. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

But at that point you are asking them to limit the screen time of Roman Reigns and all their little pet projects like Lacey Evans and Lars Sullivan and for some reason Baron Corbin. Plus, limit the time of Vince and Shane and Stephanie and these longwinded ass promos,  it would take a complete overhaul that they are seemingly unwilling to commit to. You're right that in order to grow the tag division and these other things then you need to distribute more time to that division and something else is pushed to the following week but I don't remember a time when they ever managed a roster well on these 3 hour RAWs and now they are adding more and more people to the main rosters. 

That is the funny thing. They actually aren't dedicating a huge amount of time to Reigns (at least for now), Lacey, or Lars. All three get about the right amount of time. On the flip-side you have a guy like Corbin who is easily getting a sixth of Raw semi-regularly. Or it at least feels that way. I like Corbin, but that shit needs to stop.