DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2019 WRESTLING TALK

50 minutes ago, chanandlerbong said:

Per that article, E made $8,500 at the time of writing. That's 68 videos at $125, and using an average video time of 1.5 minutes, that's roughly 2 hours of filming time. Generously add an hour for prep time and you're looking at 3 hours of work. Definitely a nice side gig if you're good at it. Someone like E might actually have a lot of fun doing it (based on his birthday video for Bob.) 

Big E might be busy doing something else.

• Haha 5

37 minutes ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

Do you happen to remember who was responsible for filling that fridge with water?

Lio Rush would have barely been a teenager at the time so I doubt he would have been much help ?

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

Apparently still has a chip on his shoulder from not getting the Wolverine role.

Danzig seems to have a chip on his shoulder about a lot of things.

Not gonna lie though, I do want to go see the Misfits with Glenn.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Danzig seems to have a chip on his shoulder about a lot of things.

You should see how he behaves when you tell him his check bounced. ?

• Haha 1

I'm sure it makes me an asshole but I'm tired of seeing WWE videos touting their charity work.  It feels like every show has a video or two of it.  In general I find it kind of obnoxious when people feel the need to pat themselves on the back for their good deeds.  

• Like 2

The 8% thing makes me sad. I read somewhere not long ago that Bayley lives in a one bedroom apt. in a bit great area of Tampa with 5 locks on the door. If it’s because she’s just not into spending tons of money, good on her, but if she’s not making enough performing 200+ times a year to live somewhere decent, then that’s bullshit.

what makes me even sadder is the lack of recourse these folks, particularly active roster non-legend types, seem to have. Your only course of action would be getting everyone booked on a major ppv to refuse to perform without renegotiated deals. Even then, you’re as likely to see a completely new roster the next night as you are to see any change. Plus, if you’re Zack Ryder or Dana Brooke, and there’s rumors of a mass walkout, and then you’re pulled into Vince’s office and given the “hey pal, how’d you like to be in the main event?” Is it more likely that you take the $, or opt for solidarity with a roster full of folks who’d do the same to you that you’re considering doing to them?

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

Does it sound like this?

Worse, much worse. Bad enough that his secretary had to call to apologize on his behalf, saying "Producing top-selling comix was extremely stressful!" Since when were Verotik top-selling comics?

In other words, reasonable things like requests for past-due payments or make-goods on bad checks would be met with screaming phone calls. I'm not saying the dude has an unlimited supply of fuck money, but he's certainly wealthy enough to cover the costs of producing short-run comix without noticing the expense. Screeching like a wounded baboon over a writer asking for a $500 fee that's 90 days out is one of the main reasons Verotik vanished so quickly. Maybe you can get away with that shit with fanboys that are just delighted to be attached to the Danzig name, but when you start pulling that shit with professional horror writers that are just scripting comix as a lark, they''ll tell you to go fuck yourself in short order.

I like the Misfits just fine and would pay to see them again (I've seen, I dunno 6-7 shows), but to characterize Danzig as anything besides a minimally-talented musician with a tremendous sense of entitlement and a viciously bad temper would be a kindness that he doesn't merit. The dude is a straight-up dick. When a friend posted a pic of a $3000 NSF check from Danzig, the little fella was threatening to fly to Chicago to kick his ass. Yeah, that's how normal business owners behave when there's a problem that they caused...  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The one thing the article doesn't get into as much is that a lot of the wrestlers only started publicly promoting their Cameo profiles in the last couple of months

Like Graves now posts his profile like once a week on Twitter.

Who in the hell would want a birthday greeting from Corey Graves?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

There’s an argument to be made by shareholders that these alleged huge contracts being paid out to guys they have little intention of using constitutes waste. IIRC, they’ve had people sniffing around in regards to derivative suits before.

This is the thing that really upsets me. Like, I'm all for guys making money. And, personally, I'd be okay with making a good living and not doing A THING. For a lot of people, though, that sounds awful and they want to feel they have value and do something productive every day.

WWE throwing hundreds of thousands of dollars at people to just basically fridge them is just the saddest thing. This years long odyssey to lock up anyone even remotely of value when you literally don't have the means to give them the opportunity to succeed is just counter-productive and soulless. It reminds me of when the Yankees in the 80s would just sign everyone and have high priced guys just wasting away on the bench. 

It's what makes the release stuff so annoying. So, they're not planning on using Luke Harper or releasing him. So, he's just gonna sit at home. What's the point of that? Gallows and Anderson have, with the exception of maybe two months all together, been given nothing for years and yet the company still wants to throw money at these guys. 

I hate everything about it. It's worse than what WCW did because as bad as the booking was at least they let guys go out on random shows and actually wrestle.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's just really petty and it's also a dereliction of Vince's duty to stockholders in my opinion.  Someone here made the argument, hopefully just playing devil's advocate, that one could argue that they are keeping valuable talent out the hands of the competition but come the fuck on.  Luke Harper is not going to set the world on fire.  Vince is blowing scads of cash to ice dudes who wouldn't make much of a difference anyway.  Signing Goldberg?  Sure.  But Luke Harper?  For fuck's sake.

Also keep in mind these guys sitting at home are only getting their downsides, nothing else.

Please note that this is the same Vince McMahon who let RIC FLAIR of all people out of his contract 26 years ago because he had nothing else for him.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

But there's a counter-argument to the shareholders that trying to aggregate the best talent for your company and keep them away from other companies to make them better is the exact opposite. Why would a shareholder NOT want a company to have the best workers in the industry, including hiring the best workers to make sure their competitors in the market have to hire inferior workers who won't give them a chance at catching up to them?

Because that money could be better used paying dividends or otherwise making more money for the company they actually own rather than trying to spend a bunch of money merely to limit a competitor’s available pool of talent. A shareholder could even argue that a large talent purge would increase the bottom line while flooding the market with talent that the competitors couldn’t possibly all use (at least effectively) and with the increased market rate for talent being set by AEW, could hurt competitors’ bottom lines if they tried to sign them all.

18 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Because that money could be better used paying dividends or otherwise making more money for the company they actually own rather than trying to spend a bunch of money merely to limit a competitor’s available pool of talent. A shareholder could even argue that a large talent purge would increase the bottom line while flooding the market with talent that the competitors couldn’t possibly all use (at least effectively) and with the increased market rate for talent being set by AEW, could hurt competitors’ bottom lines if they tried to sign them all.

The "dividends" mention brings up a good point.  There are publicly-traded companies out there that won't hesitate to lay people off after a down quarter to make the stockholders feel better and boost numbers.  Meanwhile WWE's business is down and they just spout off some lame excuses and call it a day.  Then again, the McMahons do own the majority of stock, so their stockholders are powerless anyway.

Edited by Technico Support

33 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Someone here made the argument, hopefully just playing devil's advocate, that one could argue that they are keeping valuable talent out the hands of the competition but come the fuck on.  Luke Harper is not going to set the world on fire. 

That was me, and I wasn't saying that argument is "right" or whatever, just that it could be made. I'm inclined to agree with you about Harper, but there are plenty of people on this board that have called for a main event run. It looks to me like they're holding on to the people they perceive to have value (Sasha, Anderson/Gallows, Harper, The Revival) and permitting others that pose less of a threat (Dillinger, TJP, 50-year-old Dustin) to leave.

• Like 1

I’ve always seen the wwe stock as just one of those vanity stocks that people own as a lark or as something sentimental. 

I mean, I’m a Real Oviedo shareholder, which doesn’t even get a discount in the club shop. I think it might be tickets if I were ever able to attend a match in person. 

• Like 1

I get the idea that Sasha has value but they will NEVER put the Revival, Gallows/Anderson or Harper in a position to justify their contracts. 

You could also argue that $500,000 a year for an undersized Southern tag team is wildly over-valued for the money they would even draw. I mean, $500,000 for a team that would never be put in a main event slot or make much of a difference to your bottom line is outrageous.