DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2019 WRESTLING TALK

https://www.forbes.com/sites/blakeoestriecher/2019/05/31/wwe-morale-is-the-worst-its-ever-been-and-vince-mcmahon-is-taking-the-blame/amp/

There isn't any new information here or anything, but the fact that Forbes is publishing about WWE's backstage morale is interesting.

4 hours ago, supremebve said:

Who is the #1 "don't believe a damn thing he says" person in wrestling history?  I'm thinking its Hogan, but the wrestling industry is full of dudes who love telling whoopers.

I'm so Behind in listening to both his and Pritchards podcasts. I might just select a few episodes depending on the topic instead of trying to catch up with all of them. JRs podcast was been really good and seems like he's brutally honest, If there is bs ,its alot less obvious. That Owen podcast was unsettling but he didn't come across too much of a Company guy in this. 

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

He'd be a five time world champion if he came along in 2013 instead of 1993 though.

No he wouldn't.

He would have been wrestling Kofi Kingston on Raw every other week while trading the IC/US title.

Maybe he gets a big pop cashing in the MITB one time but he would have been an upper midcarder at best.

3 hours ago, Custos said:

Bruce Pritchard said on his podcast (and come to your own conclusion on his honesty in general) that Billy suffered from asthma or similar respiratory illness that held him back and was responsible for him blowing up so bad and presumably instances like Eddie describes. 

Either way, whether because of his health issues or as demonstrated before our eyes in the quality of his singles matches, he was certainly more suited to tag matches.

Wait he had asthma?

So was JR's constant "Billy Gunn is the best pure atha-lete in the WWF" line just a rib that nobody picked up on?

Edited by L_W_P

5 hours ago, supremebve said:

Who is the #1 "don't believe a damn thing he says" person in wrestling history?  I'm thinking its Hogan, but the wrestling industry is full of dudes who love telling whoopers.

Are you suggesting that the man who slammed the 9'6", 4000 lb Andre the Giant at Wrestlemania in front of 9 million paying customers is in any way economical with the truth? For shame, sir!

Andre actually died earlier that day week month, but he still wrestled.

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, Ryan said:

If Flair thinks he spoke to God while in a coma, someone needs to get him off whatever crazy pills he's taking because he'll be running for office soon enough at this rate.

So he was talking to himself???

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

It’s hard not to. The gifs, and parody videos were everywhere. That interview did him no favors. Those Stone Cold podcasts did nobody any favors whatsoever really. 

I always thought it was bullshit that Ambrose took the heat for that. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

The Rock clowned on everyone, and most of them ended up doing fine. If Gunn couldn't overcome one promo, then maybe it's because he was never going to be a singles star. There's no shame in being a Stan Lane.

Billy never said anything bad about the Rock after leaving WWE. He said it felt like Triple H was trying to kill him off. In the Summerslam build up, Billy got the best of the Rock most weeks. I think that was the key to why the Rock worked, He would bury you on the mic, but was giving in the ring. Billy said he was more than happy to be back together with Road Dogg and out of the shark tank. 

19 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

And that local indy sounds awful but if it helps I feel your pain. 

They usually put on good shows, but that last one was miserable. For what its worth the regulars were not too mad about it. 

Also I have closed the door on AEW, every promotion has growing pains. I really want a second successful wrestling promotion. Its better for the long term health of wrestling and making sure it exists for new generations. 

I did see Moxley's debut and he looked great and Jim Ross sounded 20 years younger. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bustronaut said:

When did people realize that Randy Savage's gimmick was a Nature Boy/Gorgeous George knock-off?

To be fair, it was Gorgeous George vis a vis Ali that Savage was doing (he was a Memphis guy after all). Still, rip-off or not, Savage took bits and pieces from greats in wrestling and made them his own. He carried himself like Nick Bockwinkel, talked like Buddy Rogers on coke, and dressed like Gorgeous George all the while wrestling with an attention to detail that few have ever mastered. Calling him a knock-off seems a bit harsh.

It's true, knock-off is harsh.  It's Gorgeous George by way of the 1970s version of masculinity, taking the Village People song and making it whole.  It was an incredible canny idea that likely only a wrestling kid could have come up with.

The thing about Randy Savage's gimmick is, it's very hard for anyone else to take influence from it. There's nobody who is a bit like Randy Savage. They're either a tribute (Black Machismo Jay Lethal), a copy (Bad Bones' new The Badness John Klinger act), or it would never enter your head to compare them (Eddie Edwards and Killer Cross are both crazy psychos right now; Neither of them is anything like Randy Savage).

• jaedmc locked and unpinned this topic