DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2019 WRESTLING TALK

47 minutes ago, Craig H said:

BTW, regarding water, La Croix/Bubly for me. Better than soda.

Everytime my Wife tries to give me a La Croix (regardless the flavor) the taste makes me think "I imagine this is what a stroke tastes like".
I live in Toledo, OH (home of the yearly Algae Bloom!) so bottled water is a must lest I end up with some terrible disease

James

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

FWIW all the ad spots are taped separately but Jericho does it in a way that sounds like an extension of the conversation. I'd love it if he tried to do them live during interviews, maybe let his guest ad lib a little it. Moxley talking about cat litter would've been golden, I'm sure. 

I feel like they're really jarring...sometimes the sound quality changes and you can hear the ad coming a mile away.  The transitions are clumsy, too.

"Okay Dave, we'll talk about Owen falling from the ceiling, but you know what else is falling?  The prices of Omaha Steaks this Father's Day!  Owen loved filet mignon and dad will, too!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 11
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I feel like they're really jarring...sometimes the sound quality changes and you can hear the ad coming a mile away.  The transitions are clumsy, too.

"Okay Dave, we'll talk about Owen falling from the ceiling, but you know what else is falling?  The prices of Omaha Steaks this Father's Day!  Owen loved filet mignon and dad will, too!"

Jericho's podcast voice also sounds like he's doing and impression of Lars Ulrich. So in addition to the transitions being jarring and obvious, it's sounds like Lars trying to sell me on a Quip toothbrush.

Again, I just fast forward through them, but it's tedious when the ads are as frequent as they are in Jericho's podcast. I think his podcast is by far the worst when it comes to ad reads and I listen to a lot of podcasts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Jericho's podcast voice also sounds like he's doing and impression of Lars Ulrich. So in addition to the transitions being jarring and obvious, it's sounds like Lars trying to sell me on a Quip toothbrush.

Again, I just fast forward through them, but it's tedious when the ads are as frequent as they are in Jericho's podcast. I think his podcast is by far the worst when it comes to ad reads and I listen to a lot of podcasts.

Oh shit I absolutely agree on the Lars impression.  That's hilarious.

I'd rather he just front load a bunch and then take one break in the middle like HDTGM does.

The only good ad that happens during a wrestling podcast is the Blue Chew ad on Marty and Sarah Love Wrestling.

36 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

The only good ad that happens during a wrestling podcast is the Blue Chew ad on Marty and Sarah Love Wrestling.

Lies!

Edit: I wish Steve brought that kind of personality into a sneaky heel manager on TV.  

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, supremebve said:

My biggest takeaway about the Revival/Sasha/Ambrose/Punk drama is how much the WWE makes the people who love wrestling the most hate wrestling the most.  

This. A damming indictment of WWE. 

• Like 3

Some random things from Triple H's pre-Takeover conference call that are more main roster focused

Jason Powell asked H saying he wants to have a six month plan for talents.  It hasn’t happened.  Why?

H said necessity takes precedence.  If the main roster needs talent, that can throw plans out the window.  He said when that happens and talents get called up, he’s excited for the talents.  He would like to have a plan, but sometimes that doesn’t happen.  He compared it to baseball, where talents get called up due to need and circumstance.

----------------------

Dave Meltzer asked about with Tyler Breeze coming in, how about bringing in Harper or Gable, or is that too many main roster guys.

H says he goes by feel.  What’s enough, what’s too much, you have to feel it out so you aren’t overdoing it.  If you do that, you make the brand something that it isn’t.

Going forward, is there a feel as to how long he wants people in NXT, like could guys be there for their career now?

H said that they are all options as the move forward.  As they grow their brands, there will be the opportunity for talents to have good, lucrative careers without ever going to the main roster.  He feels that is a very real possibility going forward.  Moving around will add longevity to everyone.

---------------------------

Nick Hassman asked about the the 24/7 or Women’s Tag Titles being defended in NXT?

He said that the possibility is there for both.  Sasha and Bayley made an appearance.  He said it’s something he would love but it comes down to scheduling.  But who knows!

---------------------

Sean Sap asked about talents creating their own content on social media.  What does he think?

He thinks it’s great when talent steps out and creates their brand and enhances it.  They encourage it and work with people at the Performance Center on how to do it.  He said that they have a large team in place to keep track of it all.  He himself can’t keep up with it all but they have a team that keeps up with everything.  He referenced Drake Maverick making the Wanted posters on his own and said they thought it was great so they incorporated it into the show.

Sean Sap asked about talents creating their own content on social media.  What does he think?

He thinks it’s great when talent steps out and creates their brand and enhances it.  They encourage it and work with people at the Performance Center on how to do it.  He said that they have a large team in place to keep track of it all.  He himself can’t keep up with it all but they have a team that keeps up with everything.  He referenced Drake Maverick making the Wanted posters on his own and said they thought it was great so they incorporated it into the show.

*Zack Ryder stares deep into the abyss* 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Its also bullshit. There is a difference between disliking WWE's creative nature and hating wrestling. 

Jon Moxley clearly hated working there.  He pretty much said his only love in life other than his wife is wrestling, and he hated working for the biggest wrestling company in the world.  That's not bullshit.  Sasha Banks, who loves this shit, decided she'd rather stay home than to continue working for them.  Not bullshit.  CM Punk said he'd consider himself a failure if he ever wrestled again.  Not bullshit.  These issues aren't disliking creative, these issues are the WWE taking the love of their life and turning it against them.  

• Like 4

Moxley's comments are pulled punches compared to the stuff CM Punk said, but it's difficult to see the relationship between Rene Young and WWE ending well. The rumblings seem to suggest insiders are of a similar mind. Presumably WWE actually employs Rene Young, when there are rumblings that WWE "are looking at what to do with her"...well, I think they either need to learn to live with it or come to terms on a release now.

4 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Ehhhh... They probably give him so many free action figures at this point he has lost his passion to fight for a better spot on the roster.

When I say "abyss," I mean the title belt he has that's so worthless it can't get him consistent TV time. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

When I say "abyss," I mean the title belt he has that's so worthless it can't get him consistent TV time. 

Oh fuck I forgot him and Hawkins had the fucking belts.

Poor poor tag division.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Jon Moxley clearly hated working there.  He pretty much said his only love in life other than his wife is wrestling, and he hated working for the biggest wrestling company in the world.  That's not bullshit.  Sasha Banks, who loves this shit, decided she'd rather stay home than to continue working for them.  Not bullshit.  CM Punk said he'd consider himself a failure if he ever wrestled again.  Not bullshit.  These issues aren't disliking creative, these issues are the WWE taking the love of their life and turning it against them.  

Yes, they hate working for WWE. WWE is not wrestling, or more to the point it doesn't represent wrestling as a whole. Its a ridiculous statement and idea that fans beyond WWE need to move away from. There is a difference between I don't want to work for WWE, and I hate wrestling.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Yes, they hate working for WWE. WWE is not wrestling, or more to the point it doesn't represent wrestling as a whole. Its a ridiculous statement and idea that fans beyond WWE need to move away from. There is a difference between I don't want to work for WWE, and I hate wrestling.  

I think you're being a little needlessly pedantic here, my man.  Like I'm sure the workers that WWE beats down still like to go home and watch some NJPW or PWG or whatever.  "Made them hate wrestling" is clearly hyperbole for "took something they really loved and turned it into a soul-sucking, uncreative, mind-numbing pile of shit." 

• Like 5

Just now, Eivion said:

Dude, this is the most semantic argument of all time.  You are basically arguing that a square is a rectangle but a rectangle isn't a square.  Everybody knows that.  WWE is the top of the wrestling industry, for about 20 years it is the goal for everyone who starts wrestling...especially in the United States.  All of these people worked their asses off to reach the top of the industry, and instead of being happy they were made miserable.  They reached their goals, were living their dreams, but their love and passion was slowly rung out of them.  

• Like 4