DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2019 WRESTLING TALK

4 hours ago, Rick said:

I've had that dude on ignore for a while. And my comment was true, every other comment of his is racial in nature, usually signalling in some way and taking petty shots at white people. I clearly struck a nerve, because I had the audacity to call him on his bullshit and he remembered it. Anyway I'm not trying to get banned, so I'll leave it. 

Not that you'll see this. But it's amazing that I talked about several things--race, gender, age, sexual orientation, inclusion for all to promote true diversity within the wrestling fanbase--yet you're hung up only on what you see as anti-white rhetoric.

It says way more about you and your bias than it ever could about me on a number of levels.

Edited by Burgundy LaRue
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 5

4 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I’m assuming Craig and Burgundy have been on the opposite side of some heated Roman drama from time to time, but I’ll be damned if I’m pulling up old threads. 

Aside from cancer being just the worst, it also robbed Roman of the really salty heat he used to get. Hopefully he does something awesome soon like squash Kofi and get some of that salt back. 

We've never gotten along and have an unspoken agreement to pretty much avoid each other. Who we cheer for has nothing to do with it.

1 minute ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

No apologies need. Sometimes, people just don't get along.

To the other part of my post, I know you’re a big Roman fan. Where do you fall on the fan response to him since his return? Am I crazy for being disappointed it lacks that raw dissatisfaction from before?

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

3 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

No apologies needed. Sometimes, people just don't get along.

Wait wait wait wait...hold up. We made amends YEARS ago. Feb. 2014. Why do I remember this shit, I don't know. Want proof?

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1448-banning-question/page/12/

Since then, I haven't stepped on you at all. Unspoken agreement to avoid each other? I have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. I can only assume you've conflated me with someone else. The only thing I can think of was that there was a comment I "liked" on here that you took offense at and thought it was ganging up on you, which it wasn't.

Other than that, I literally have no idea what you're talking about.

Shrugs, I guess.

I'm also curious about what she thinks about Roman now since she and, umm, Gregg?, might be the two biggest Roman fans on here.

Like, to me, he seems to be acting differently than he did before he was out. Or maybe the time away allowed for a reset.

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Those groups are best to be avoided.

I found myself really bored one day when I was off work and joined a group to get some direct, instant contact with other fans. I promptly realized why wrestling fans are considered to be trashy idiots by most people. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Back to the Gang Warz era, was there a worse PPV during the WWF's hot period of 1997-2001 than IYH: No Way Out of Texas? I would say no, no there was not. 

I forgot most of that show except Kane hitting Vader with the wrench and the main event being a decent match so I looked over it again and yeah, it's pretty bad. It's crazy how much of that time period is a blur now even though I was rabid for it at the time. 

12 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I forgot most of that show except Kane hitting Vader with the wrench and the main event being a decent match so I looked over it again and yeah, it's pretty bad. It's crazy how much of that time period is a blur now even though I was rabid for it at the time. 

How could you forget the mystery partner?

SAVIO VEGA

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

No Way Out of Texas was one of the very few VHS tapes I had back when the only terrestrial TV wrestling in UK was WCW on Channel 5 and we couldn’t afford Sky.

So I watched the crap out of that show and savoured all of it as only a content starved wrestling fan could, from the high flying Light Heavyweight contest between TAKA and Pantera (trying to block out the racist commentary from Lawler and son) to the endless ‘War of Attrition’ 5 vs 5 match (which did thankfully pick up the tempo with the Shamrock/Rocky exchange that blew the roof off) to Bradshaw getting swarmed by these NWA nobodies to the Mero marital strife (bleh).

Also maybe the biggest impression left on 15 year old me was Sunny in that pink jumpsuit... settle down Custosnetico.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Back to the Gang Warz era, was there a worse PPV during the WWF's hot period of 1997-2001 than IYH: No Way Out of Texas? I would say no, no there was not. ?

I don't know, 1999 had a lot of really fucking bad shows. 

That's not to say IYH4: NWOOT didn't suck (even the acronym sucked!) but 1999 man... Fuck 1999 wrestling.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

That's not to say IYH4: NWOOT didn't suck (even the acronym sucked!) but 1999 man... Fuck 1999 wrestling.

Least we had ECW. 1999 wasn't good despite a hot period.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

A few decent shows in isolation such as Spring Stampede, but, looking back, mostly rubbish to be honest.

• Like 1

I don't know how Alvarez and Vinny can do their retro Raw and Nitro recaps in addition to watching current Raw. I've been tempted to go back and watch some old Raws and Nitros just to see how bad they were.

Man...when you think about it, sometimes it feels like bad wrestling far outweighs the good.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Raziel said:

But Jim.. you, uh... just did.

He was probably asked about it a lot and needed to say something.

Looking at the rest of this thread, I feel like I came into the middle of a movie. I have not seen the board like this since the Kaiju Wars of 2006. Maybe you guys need me to be a lightning rod.

Just now, Craig H said:

I don't know how Alvarez and Vinny can do their retro Raw and Nitro recaps in addition to watching current Raw. I've been tempted to go back and watch some old Raws and Nitros just to see how bad they were.

Man...when you think about it, sometimes it feels like bad wrestling far outweighs the good.

I have a Torch VIP subscription and I think about this a lot when listening to someone like Wade Keller talk about covering weekly wrestling since 1987. I have no idea how you can have such passion for anything to subject yourself to the collective crap that he has subjected himself to in covering 3 decades of this stuff and come out the other side still optimistic and energised about the industry. I definitely would have needed some off-seasons, or some time watching only NJPW or whatever.

10 minutes ago, Custos said:

A few decent shows in isolation such as Spring Stampede, but, looking back, mostly rubbish to be honest.

WCW Spring Stampede, WWF No Mercy, ECW Living Dangerously, Hardcore Heaven and Anarchy Rules the lone exceptions.

Edited by The Natural

I feel the wrestling I fell in love with still holds up.  Yeah, there's some nostalgia in there but WWF had cool characters, good promos,  a good tag team and intercontinental scene and larger than life main eventers who really weren't that bad in the ring either. Most of all everything made logical sense and the commentary was superb. 

Crockett/WCW had cool characters that were also easily believable,   realistic story lines,  awesome promos,  awesome ring work all the way around,  blood and also everyone's motivations made sense and the commentary was great. 

Wrestling can be great and at times has been great.  Even over at Titan where I've enjoyed maybe a few years total over the last ten I still have hope that it will improve. 

NJPW gave me a shot in the arm many years ago and for the most part I really like that promotion.   Now..  Impact has gotten better,  MLW is pretty solid and AEW had a hell of a first PPV.  

I'll never give up wrestling entirely. Never. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'm also curious about what she thinks about Roman now since she and, umm, Gregg?, might be the two biggest Roman fans on here.

Its probably me after Burgandy. I just don't say as much.