DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2019 WRESTLING TALK

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I read this six hours ago and I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around it. 

A Slayer-fied version of Austin's theme would have been better than the Disturbed one in 2001. A Slayer theme in 1999 would have probably sounded like their 1998 album Diabolus in Musica, which had more of a groove metal sound, and is usually seen as the least Slayer-like and least popular album of them all.

If a Slayer theme would have fit anybody, it would have been Taker and the Ministry of Darkness.

I heard zakk wylde wrote an Austin theme yhay was supposed yo be fucking unreal. I always wondrted if it was him playing on snitskys shit

• Like 1

21 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Also what's  all this "DDP as the Stalker sucked" hot take BS. The angle was great, Page was a legit shocker & the reveal/promo is still one of the most surreal home runs WWE ever hit.

Sure the booking went to shit but the choice of Page was perfectly fine.

To bad he wasn't brought in as the Positively Paige gimmick he got be at the End of his WWF run but you know they had to book everyone as dastardly heels. He would've gotten way over like RVD because the let RVD be himself. Even if they booked him to be super goofy like Booker T, Paige would have still gotten way over. & how much of that angle had to do with the fact that Undertaker had another reason to bring his wife to TV every week? She was already involved in a few angles before that. At least Debra was good in the stuff she was involved in and honestly was apart of some of Austin's best stuff during the invasion. It makes me wonder if they did get Goldberg during the invasion how would they have booked him. He would've been way over as well but you know they would've had him doing things to paint him as the heel. It would have been interesting just for the fact that you know Austin who was still on a career run of great matches and Rock who came back in the summer would've both been trying to work against him off the jump. As paranoid and political as Austin was, He and Rock would've done way better business with Goldberg than Hunter didn't because they wouldn't have purposely sabotaged him. If he came in Austin wouldn't have joined WCW and turned face sooner. It would've made more sense for Jericho to turn heel and join. 

Edited by Ziggy

On 5/25/2019 at 2:44 PM, RolandTHTG said:

I remember there was an O'Haire vs Steiner World Title main event on a Nitro or Thunder maybe a few weeks before the end. 

He was super over and they protected him massively in the finish. Still can't believe they fucked that up.

And by that I mean, Cagematch says it never happened? Huh?

Was that the first time a Monthly Wrestling Talk thread has gone a full 24 hours with no posts?

15 minutes ago, AxB said:

Was that the first time a Monthly Wrestling Talk thread has gone a full 24 hours with no posts?

There was a point yesterday with no posts for a while and I thought either  the board was broken or Phil/Dolfan had closed it during the PPV. 

Anyone who's a total disciple of McMahon-ism and that no other wrestling exists will be thinking that this was the deadest weekend in board history.

Is Bret Hart's entrance music public domain now, or has he bought the publishing himself? Because he had his WWE tune at the WWE HoF, UFC Calgary and AEW.

31 minutes ago, AxB said:

Anyone who's a total disciple of McMahon-ism and that no other wrestling exists will be thinking that this was the deadest weekend in board history.

It's their loss.

• Like 1

This thread will be especially hot once AEW starts on TNT. Mostly with re-tread arguments comparing wrestling prgramming on major television channels from the '90s, which:

a) I am excited about

b) I'm guessing the mods are not

Edited by Smelly McUgly

1 hour ago, AxB said:

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's their loss.

I'm not sure that the hypothetical poster you guys are referring to exists.

11 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Speaking of Bret and the Rhodes family, did Bret and Dusty ever wrestle eachother?

The when of this would be tricky. Dusty came to WWF in 5/89. The Harts turned in 88. Dusty turned heel in 98 but Bret was more heel than not and Dusty was just managing. It'd have to be earlier and in most places, Bret would have been a face. Maybe in Japan? They were on NJPW tours in the early 80s, and on a couple together. But it looks like they just teamed.

2/8/82 - Inoki/Fujinami/Kimura vs Dusty/Dynamite/Bret

and

1/5/84 - Inoki/Fujinami/Kido vs Dusty/Buddy Rose/Bret Hart

Both of which sound awesome, to be honest. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

This thread will be especially hot once AEW starts on TNT. Mostly with re-tread arguments comparing wrestling prgramming on major television channels from the '90s, which:

a) I am excited about

b) I'm guessing the mods are not

With the arrival of AEW, I think I’m finally at peace with the loss of March Madness.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Speaking of Bret and the Rhodes family, did Bret and Dusty ever wrestle eachother?

I swear I asked this same question or a similar one not that long ago.

25 minutes ago, Matt D said:

The when of this would be tricky. Dusty came to WWF in 5/89. The Harts turned in 88. Dusty turned heel in 98 but Bret was more heel than not and Dusty was just managing. It'd have to be earlier and in most places, Bret would have been a face. Maybe in Japan? They were on NJPW tours in the early 80s, and on a couple together. But it looks like they just teamed.

2/8/82 - Inoki/Fujinami/Kimura vs Dusty/Dynamite/Bret

and

1/5/84 - Inoki/Fujinami/Kido vs Dusty/Buddy Rose/Bret Hart

Both of which sound awesome, to be honest. 

We need to get Matt a copy of this Dusty/Buddy/Bret match. 

Edited by odessasteps

9 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

With the arrival of AEW, I think I’m finally at peace with the loss of March Madness.

As longs these people keep to their own threads, let them post to their hearts content. 

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Is Bret Hart's entrance music public domain now, or has he bought the publishing himself? Because he had his WWE tune at the WWE HoF, UFC Calgary and AEW.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's their loss.

20 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

As longs these people keep to their own threads, let them post to their hearts content. 

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

Well, I'll just take a few wild guesses and ask some people. @Greggulator, @Burgundy LaRue, @Eivion  what wrestling do you watch besides WWE?

tumblr_oxz89964Gg1vaosveo2_250.gif

tumblr_oxz89964Gg1vaosveo1_250.gif

• Like 1

What? No harm in asking, is there? If it turns out the whole board watches Impact, Defiant Loaded and MLW Fusion every week, but most of them never post about it, fair enough. But I'm guessing that some people might just watch the biggest promotion and I picked three names at random who I didn't remember seeing in any indie threads.

Or are you a massive WWE supporter and you're upset that I didn't ask you? In which case, just saying "I only watch WWE, because..." would be fine.

If you're being a dick because you thought I was being a dick and you felt like reciprocating, well... I wasn't being a dick. We were discussing whether or not some people on the board only watch the biggest promotion. I think such people exist. @MORELOCK disagrees. And with me not having the transatlantic psychic powers that would allow me to look into people's head and see what they know, I decided to actually ask some.

I'm pretty sure @Cristobal only watches WWE stuff. But he's not been around much (in threads I've been in). And I've not seen him in GTA because I stopped playing it really late at night all the time.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AxB said:

Well, I'll just take a few wild guesses and ask some people. @Greggulator, @Burgundy LaRue, @Eivion  what wrestling do you watch besides WWE?

Bruh, why would you think this is necessary? Just let people enjoy what they enjoy.

This conversation about who watches what is pitched in a weird way. "Their loss?" Not if they're happy with what they already watch. Let 'em cook.

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 2

Let's put our differences aside. With Memorial Day tomorrow, let's honor our veterans, our friends and family members that made the ultimate sacrifice. Let's enjoy our picnics and our barbecues with our hamburgers and hot dogs. Let's enjoy the beach and our swimming pools. Let's all be peaceful. You know what I mean?

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Let's put our differences aside. With Memorial Day tomorrow, let's honor our veterans, our friends and family members that made the ultimate sacrifice. Let's enjoy our picnics and our barbecues with our hamburgers and hot dogs. Let's enjoy the beach and our swimming pools. Let's all be peaceful. You know what I mean?

Image result for iron sheik wwf flag

• Haha 1