DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2019 WRESTLING TALK

Just imagine in less then a year the WWF had Jericho, Angle, Benoit, Malenko, Guerrero, etc. Owen would've actually been motivated to compete at a high level. You can kinda tell during his last year he was kinda phoning it in, but even at that he was still 90% better then roster.

• Like 6

I can't wait to hear their revisionist history on that one.  Their plan was flawless:

1. Don't sign any actual stars outside of DDP
  2. Debut it in front of a traditionally non-WCW crowd
  3. Make Bagwell a main eventer
  4. Liberal sprinkling of McMahons because everyone knows that traditional, longtime Crockett/NWA/WCW fans really want that
  5. Profit
Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I can't wait to hear their revisionist history on that one.  Their plan was flawless:

4. Liberal sprinkling of McMahons because everyone knows that traditional, longtime Crockett/NWA/WCW fans really want that
  5. Profit

Actually read the description about this. It’s actually about the “Big Bang” show from Bischoff, and crew that never got off the ground. But yeah this is counter programming/fuck you.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’m really disappointed currently how average it is. I’m here thinking up things like wrestler A kills himself to avoid getting pinned, and losing the title, so wrestler B kills himself to follow wrestler A into the afterlife. It’ll be like the wrestling version of flatliners. But the best they can come up with is a dated man in drag bit that they’ve always keep going back to.

I think they could get mileage out of this thing by having, say, both Uso's pinning a current champion.  Collectively, they both have to be pinned for anyone else to have the belt, so they both keep other opponents at bay, until an official establishes that 24/7 rules say only one  wrestler can be champion.  Set up a build to "partner vs. partner" for a big show.

But no.  I'm sure "WWE 'creative'" could come up with something much more compelling ...

58 minutes ago, olythegreat89 said:

Just imagine in less then a year the WWF had Jericho, Angle, Benoit, Malenko, Guerrero, etc. Owen would've actually been motivated to compete at a high level. You can kinda tell during his last year he was kinda phoning it in, but even at that he was still 90% better then roster.

And if he felt up for hanging around '02-'04 Owen on Smackdown could have made it the Smackdown 7 or something like that.  But according to Martha's book he was planning to retire in about 4 or 5 years and that would have fit the time window.  Really sad we didn't get a chance at that.

It's almost too bad the network doesn't have an Owen collection (I can understand why) but I'll be tracking some of his stuff down tonight.  While I'm good for the WWF stuff are there any readily-available recommendations for his times in Japan or Stampede?

1 minute ago, NikoBaltimore said:

And if he felt up for hanging around '02-'04 Owen on Smackdown could have made it the Smackdown 7 or something like that.  But according to Martha's book he was planning to retire in about 4 or 5 years and that would have fit the time window.  Really sad we didn't get a chance at that.

It's almost too bad the network doesn't have an Owen collection (I can understand why) but I'll be tracking some of his stuff down tonight.  While I'm good for the WWF stuff are there any readily-available recommendations for his times in Japan or Stampede?

He had a match with Liger that is pretty great.

• Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

5. Profit

The Observer Rewind posts on Reddit are up to around this point in 2001 WWF (well, the talk of signing WCW stars anyway). They didn't sign any WCW stars outside of DDP and Booker T because it would disrupt the pay scale. On the flipside, you've got people like Goldberg poised to make $6m just for sitting at home - why would he give that up? It's not really WWF's fault on that one. The last Observer 2001 issue that was posted yesterday said that even DDP and Booker (and Flair, but he came in later) all wanted to sign with WWF, but were making good money on their Time Warner contracts and (especially Flair) didn't want to give up a financially stable situation like that in order to come to the WWF and maybe succeed.

On #2, that's totally their fault, but I think that's getting ahead of everything that came before it. They were making plans shortly after WrestleMania to relaunch WCW in a late night deathslot on TNN, had areans booked into June for WCW shows, etc. But Vince always comes in and torpedoes everything and I believe eventually he says fuck all of that and hotshots the invasion angle. The Booker/Bagwell match, had it happened a week later WHEN THEY WERE IN ATLANTA wouldn't have bombed as hard as it did probably. And to #3, they thought Bagwell, while he had attitude problems and they knew it, would get a good reaction because he got a pop on that RAW before WrestleMania where the simulcast happened.

#4 is something we should just expect by now, and in hindsight isn't surprising at all, so I'll leave it alone. But yeah, TLDR - they actually had a plan for a rebooted WCW, buildings booked for TV tapings and TNN had agreed to a (shitty) timeslot. But Vince being Vince, changed his mind again on WCW and went with the quick payday instead of the long game.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, nate said:

I think they could get mileage out of this thing by having, say, both Uso's pinning a current champion.  Collectively, they both have to be pinned for anyone else to have the belt, so they both keep other opponents at bay, until an official establishes that 24/7 rules say only one  wrestler can be champion.  Set up a build to "partner vs. partner" for a big show.

But no.  I'm sure "WWE 'creative'" could come up with something much more compelling ...

Have one Uso win it and then, whenever one gets pinned, have him claim they pinned the wrong one.

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

The Observer Rewind posts on Reddit are up to around this point in 2001 WWF (well, the talk of signing WCW stars anyway). They didn't sign any WCW stars outside of DDP and Booker T because it would disrupt the pay scale. On the flipside, you've got people like Goldberg poised to make $6m just for sitting at home - why would he give that up? It's not really WWF's fault on that one. The last Observer 2001 issue that was posted yesterday said that even DDP and Booker (and Flair, but he came in later) all wanted to sign with WWF, but were making good money on their Time Warner contracts and (especially Flair) didn't want to give up a financially stable situation like that in order to come to the WWF and maybe succeed.

They could have disrupted the pay scale.  History shows the boys will take horrible treatment with a smile, doubly so when there's no competition. 

• Like 1

Even if they wanted to do disrupt the pay scale for their top performers, it was entirely dependent on people like Goldberg and Steiner wanting to accept a Time Warner buy out.

• Like 1

"You can not work for your money or you can start working for the same money."

"Duuuhhhhhhhh I'll be there Monday!"

On another note:

I like how some of you shit on WWE's booking and then use WCW Russo hardcore title angles for their fantasy booking.

Bro we can just have the mamalukes all pin someone at the same time bro

No wait I mean the Uso bros bro

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

On another note:

I like how some of you shit on WWE's booking and then use WCW Russo hardcore title angles for their fantasy booking.

Don’t MORELOCK this! This is the 24/7 title. It’s clearly a comedy title. 

Now back to fantasy booking it! Okay let’s say Mojo wins the belt, then jumps into his mirror to hide. The opposing wrestler says “Fuck that”, and shatters the mirror. Then the entire jobber crew jumps in to pin all the shards. BOOM, 30 24/7 champions. You can have a unification tournament to create a 24/7 Crown, and 30 swimsuit models can help carry the belts around 24/7.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

What you do is this.  You have R-Truth wake up in a seedy motel,  next to a 500 pound prostitute.

"Oh god...I just have one question."

"Oh we did.  A LOT."

"No, where's my 24/7 title?"

She lifts up a fat fold located in one of the more TV PG areas of her body and the belt falls out. 

"You asked me to keep it safe."

Then, the motel room door kicks open, to reveal an irate Godfather, screaming about how R-Truth owes him a dollar per pound.  He then spots the title, and whistles loudly.  We cut to a referee scrambling to get dressed in another seedy room, and Godfather attempting to win the belt, but R-Truth knocks him out.  He goes through The Godfather's stuff and finds the solution to his problems.

THE PAPA SHANGO SPELL BOOK.

As the mystic arts are often very, very specific,  he finds a spell that makes the next referee that makes a three count on you DIE.  He shows this to the camera and completes the ritual.

None of the refs will help anyone.  "I've got a family."

Then, one referee is brave enough to make the count.  Tim White, who finally finds himself in death's sweet embrace.

Goodnight, sweet prince.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

28 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

"You can not work for your money or you can start working for the same money."

On another note:

If onlt this had happened on Lucha Underground, some people would go pants-free for the idea.

32 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

"You can not work for your money or you can start working for a lower amount of money than you were getting paid in WCW."

Fixed that for you.

I was in the building for Booker/Bagwell in Tacoma. If I remember correctly, they took a good 5 minutes changing out ring aprons, turnbuckles, and bringing in the new announce crew for the match.

I think the match would have gone over fine if there hadn't been such a long break of nothing before the match, and if it hadn't been Bagwell. WCW had a successful PPV in that building a few years prior. Seattle/Tacoma wasn't a 'WWE' town, it was a market starved for professional wrestling in general. It wasn't a regular stop for either promotion. I think outside of the big money names that weren't making the jump, had they gotten DDP or Steiner from the start and run Booker/DDP or Booker/Steiner and hadn't killed the crowd with a lot of just waiting, the match probably goes over a lot better.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

What you do is this.  You have R-Truth wake up in a seedy motel,  next to a 500 pound prostitute.

What does Barrington Hughes have to do with this?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, James F'n X said:

I was in the building for Booker/Bagwell in Tacoma. If I remember correctly, they took a good 5 minutes changing out ring aprons, turnbuckles, and bringing in the new announce crew for the match.

I think the match would have gone over fine if there hadn't been such a long break of nothing before the match, and if it hadn't been Bagwell. WCW had a successful PPV in that building a few years prior. Seattle/Tacoma wasn't a 'WWE' town, it was a market starved for professional wrestling in general. It wasn't a regular stop for either promotion. I think outside of the big money names that weren't making the jump, had they gotten DDP or Steiner from the start and run Booker/DDP or Booker/Steiner and hadn't killed the crowd with a lot of just waiting, the match probably goes over a lot better.

They did have DDP from the start, the problem was he was in a dumb angle with The Undertaker. He unmasked as the stalker before Booker T even debuted. Steiner was never going to jump that early since he also had a big contract with Time Warner - maybe not on the scale of Bill Goldberg, but it was still money to sit at home and just collect on it. Booker & DDP actually wanted to try and make it in the WWF, the others either didn't care all that much or (rightly so) valued the financial stability over taking a chance.

It shouldn't have been Bagwell, but it's also all they really had to work with in terms of WCW names that could actually challenge for the WCW title. Booker versus Helms would have been a better match probably, but nobody cares about Shane Helms at this point in time.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

They did have DDP from the start, the problem was he was in a dumb angle with The Undertaker. He unmasked as the stalker before Booker T even debuted. Steiner was never going to jump that early since he also had a big contract with Time Warner - maybe not on the scale of Bill Goldberg, but it was still money to sit at home and just collect on it. Booker & DDP actually wanted to try and make it in the WWF, the others either didn't care all that much or (rightly so) valued the financial stability over taking a chance.

It shouldn't have been Bagwell, but it's also all they really had to work with in terms of WCW names that could actually challenge for the WCW title. Booker versus Helms would have been a better match probably, but nobody cares about Shane Helms at this point in time.

You're right, the DDP as the stalker bullshit was a month before Booker/Bagwell.

Honestly, what they should have done was put an upper midcard WWE guy in the match with Booker, bill them as moving over to WCW, let Booker get the win to establish him, and not do the post-match stuff with Austin (which means not doing the Booker run in at the prior PPV.) There's so much that could have been done a lot better if Vince wanted to build another brand, not gut the corpse and embarrass it on national television.

Edited by James F'n X
typo'd Vince to Wince, probably should just leave it tbh