DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2019 WRESTLING TALK

9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

RE: The 24/7 thread

It makes no sense to start one before Smackdown is over because it will just be like when tried to separate the Shakeup stuff and everyone ignored that.

@Dolfan in NYC and I already talked and we will break the 24/7 stuff out probably tomorrow afternoon.

Thank God NXT is a taped show and we don't have to deal with that horseshit there

My favourite so far, @RIPPA:

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 5

Nothing screams alternative like drawing massive parallels to a promotion Vince crushed under his boot, resurrected, crushed again, then resurrected AGAIN so he could crush it... AGAIN.

7 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Cody.

Oh I see...

Ehhhh... Dude has enough nicknames. I see no need for this one. Well looking down the list outside of that. Battlebowl, and Bunkhouse Stampede look to be back for better or worse. I’m not too sure about these being a single night PPV. They’d make for a fun TV special though.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

It's fair to mention WWE's side of the Ashley Massaro sexual assault claim:

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/wwe-releases-statement-ashley-massaro-sexual-assault-claim-284421

Spoiler

"WWE is saddened by the death of Ashley Massaro, and we reiterate our condolences to her family. However, we regret that her attorney Konstantine Kyros, who filed multiple cases against WWE, lost all of them, and was sanctioned multiple times by the Court for repeated misconduct and false allegations, is using Ashley’s death to further his malicious campaign against WWE by releasing an affidavit that she submitted to the Court and later apologized to WWE for being involved with, so we wish to make certain things crystal clear.

At no time was Vince McMahon or the management of WWE ever informed by Ashley Massaro or anybody else that she had been sexually assaulted, drugged, raped or sodomized by a military doctor with a nurse standing guard while on a goodwill tour in 2007 to U.S. military bases in Kuwait. In fact, if she ever articulated such a claim to WWE, we would have reported it immediately to the Base Commander.

At no time was there ever a meeting with Vince McMahon, Kevin Dunn, John Laurinaitis or other company executives in which she told them of such a claim and was instructed to keep it quiet."

What is motivation to be 24/7 champ, if I may ask? The perk seems to be having the lower card guys stalk you online and in person. I'm probably putting too much thought into it,  I should really just relax. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Peck said:

It's fair to mention WWE's side of the Ashley Massaro sexual assault claim:

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/wwe-releases-statement-ashley-massaro-sexual-assault-claim-284421

Hide contents

"WWE is saddened by the death of Ashley Massaro, and we reiterate our condolences to her family. However, we regret that her attorney Konstantine Kyros, who filed multiple cases against WWE, lost all of them, and was sanctioned multiple times by the Court for repeated misconduct and false allegations, is using Ashley’s death to further his malicious campaign against WWE by releasing an affidavit that she submitted to the Court and later apologized to WWE for being involved with, so we wish to make certain things crystal clear.

At no time was Vince McMahon or the management of WWE ever informed by Ashley Massaro or anybody else that she had been sexually assaulted, drugged, raped or sodomized by a military doctor with a nurse standing guard while on a goodwill tour in 2007 to U.S. military bases in Kuwait. In fact, if she ever articulated such a claim to WWE, we would have reported it immediately to the Base Commander.

At no time was there ever a meeting with Vince McMahon, Kevin Dunn, John Laurinaitis or other company executives in which she told them of such a claim and was instructed to keep it quiet."

I'd be more willing to believe them (and yes that Kryos guy is so sleazy I find anything he's involved in to have no credibility whatsoever) if they hadn't even waited until her corpse was no longer warm to launch a spin/PR campaign in the media (ie: that email to the Post). 

Mark for the belt is the only conceivable motivation for wanting the 24/7 Championship.  They really needed to attach some kind of financial incentive to it.  They also should've introduced it in catering since that's where all the challengers usually are.  They're just going to forget about it in a couple of weeks like they do everything else.

9 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

What is motivation to be 24/7 champ, if I may ask? The perk seems to be having the lower card guys stalk you online and in person. I'm probably putting too much thought into it,  I should really just relax. 

It kind of reminds me of this childhood schoolyard game

9 hours ago, Infinit said:

Honestly, the writing for the 24/7 is already so garbage. WWE loves booking their talent as idiots. And it's so damn insulting to the viewers. As usual lol

I’m really disappointed currently how average it is. I’m here thinking up things like wrestler A kills himself to avoid getting pinned, and losing the title, so wrestler B kills himself to follow wrestler A into the afterlife. It’ll be like the wrestling version of flatliners. But the best they can come up with is a dated man in drag bit that they’ve always keep going back to.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

9 hours ago, sabremike said:

I'd be more willing to believe them (and yes that Kryos guy is so sleazy I find anything he's involved in to have no credibility whatsoever) if they hadn't even waited until her corpse was no longer warm to launch a spin/PR campaign in the media (ie: that email to the Post). 

Not to defend WWE, but they had to say something. Everyone was questioning WWE about it. Staying silent winds up looking even worse. They were put into a position where they had to defend themselves.

It hit me this morning that 20 years ago Owen Hart died.  Holy fuck has time flown as all that feels like yesterday.  It's a very sad thing to think about and given the shoddy cable work was something that shouldn't have happened.  I don't know how much longer he would have cared to wrestle given he was thinking to retire in a few years.  But if he felt like coming out of retirement at some point down the line there were a ton of great matches he could have been in.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

I wouldn't be surprised that if he hung around long enough for the brand extension era that Owen would have gotten a token "lifetime achievment" title reign like some others did. 

Or if he retires from full-time 2000-01 anyway, he still pops back for one-off appearances in ROH like Lance Storm and oddball "Produce" shows in Japan, and maybe one last cagey veteran WWE run like Finlay did or as part of Bret's return. 

And you know damn well in 2019, Janela would be doing everything he can to get a free agent Owen Hart to come to Spring Break. 

• Like 2