DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2019 WRESTLING TALK

21 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Hopefully, while reading it in Fabio voice's and doing the hair flip.

I always used to read Hollywood Cibernetico's posts in Perez Hilton's voice. He was always so critical of Women's bodies and dress sense, so I took it that he was an aging Yass Kween who'd gone all bitter and cynical. Then he started being homophobic as well and I was reminded that I'm objectively a terrible judge of character.

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Schiavone, Dusty and Heenan were pretty great.

I personally wouldn't call them "great," but I do enjoy Dusty cracking Schiavone and Heenan up. On the other hand, other than the wacky stuff like HE'S GOT A BICYCLE, I'm not sure they produced a lot of calls that I really remember that well, and they had no shortage of hot angles and matches in the ring to achieve that goal with. Part of it is probably that Heenan's heart wasn't as into it. 

I understand if you blocked it from memory since it was Benoit vs. Sullivan from the Great American Bash, but there was the Dusty classic, "There is a lady in the men's bathroom.". He follows it up with "There is a woman in the men's john, here in Baltimore.". There were some other pretty funny lines, mostly from Dusty. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

I've been rewatching a lot of that era of WCW lately, and you'd be surprised how often Bobby or Dusty would get jumped on for either misspeaking or using a Dusty-ism. It's not as bad as some of the worst Cole and JBL led desks, but there are some rough patches.

That team also has a habit of pimping the main event story hard during some pretty good undercard PPV action that gets completely ignored. I'm sure they're produced to do that, but it's still a miss for me. 

It's a good desk. But there are glaring holes in their game before you even need to pass judgement on Dusty or Bobby's individual merits as a commentator at that stage. 

3 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I finally finished the first season of WoS wrestling, and it mixed early-TNA era production values, the feel of mid-90s WCW B-show Universal Studios crowds, and 2010s WWE work. So, not exactly Jim Breaks yapping at dudes in the front row while working the most entertaining fingerlock ever or anything like that.

Also, I'm pretty much against three-man booths at this point in my fandom because I found WoS's three-man booth to be not that good (no offense to So Cal Val and Stu Bennett, who I don't really have anything against). 

Some offence to Alex Shane, then? The WoS booth didn't work partly because they never shut up and let the action speak for itself, and partly because Shane is terrible at commentary. I mean, he's a good person, and when British Wrestling was 90% dead he was the main guy keeping the life support switched on (he ran the FWA), he's a credit to the business, but I never really rated him as a wrestler, and on commentary he is absolutely the guy who thinks he's funny but just isn't. At all. In any way.

I wanted WoS to be good. I really did. They had a great roster of talent. But nobody was ever put in a position to be able to have a great match. And very few were ever in position to have a good one. A missed opportunity.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I understand if you blocked it from memory since it was Benoit vs. Sullivan from the Great American Bash, but there was the Dusty classic, "There is a lady in the men's bathroom.". He follows it up with "There is a woman in the men's john, here in Baltimore.". There were some other pretty funny lines, mostly from Dusty. 

Sure, but that's part of the wackiness that I enjoyed.

@AxB Maybe a bit of offense. He was pretty wretched at PBP, mostly because he was doing the Michael Cole/WWE navel-gazing at the wonderfulness and majesty of the company that he was doing PBP for way too often. 

The other big issue was Bennett working a heel commissioner gimmick while he did color. I actually think Val was solid in her role as a face commentator who was supportive of fair play and all the typical face tropes, but Bennett had to do that role where he was the disingenuous heel authority, and that role sucks. Like the stuff about Rampage being a champion that the company could be proud of was so tired after about the second time they discussed it on the show. 

RE: The 24/7 thread

It makes no sense to start one before Smackdown is over because it will just be like when tried to separate the Shakeup stuff and everyone ignored that.

@Dolfan in NYC and I already talked and we will break the 24/7 stuff out probably tomorrow afternoon.

Thank God NXT is a taped show and we don't have to deal with that horseshit there

• Like 2

Take this for whatever it is worth but AJ Styles claims in an interview with Newsweek that the new deal he signed with the WWE will be the last wrestling contract he ever signs

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

RE: The 24/7 thread

It makes no sense to start one before Smackdown is over because it will just be like when tried to separate the Shakeup stuff and everyone ignored that.

@Dolfan in NYC and I already talked and we will break the 24/7 stuff out probably tomorrow afternoon.

Thank God NXT is a taped show and we don't have to deal with that horseshit there

Unless they do inserts. 

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Unless they do inserts. 

"Adam Cole is the new 24/7 champ after he defeated No Way Jose ending his 4th, AND 7th, championship reign."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zartan said:

giphy.gif?cid=8fc3c8975ce4af7879442f4577

That's one of my favourite comedy matches ever, the hug it out match on RAW in September 2012. I believe it was in Chicago. The crowd chanted "hug it out" and you could hear loud laughs when Daniel Bryan says "I hugged you, you didn't hug me!"