DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2019 WRESTLING TALK

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

Jim Cornette tells this story about during Jim Herds WCW run they ran a 18,000 seat arena on Easter Sunday in San Antonio a predominately Catholic town. They drew 500 people. 

That's also how I got in and out of Vegas for $400 a few years ago.  Total.  Flight, room, food, drink, gambling.  I saw super cheap rates for everything and booked it and only later realized I was flying in on Easter Sunday.

And it's Fawlty.

EDIT:  Fucking hate when I make a joke to the previous post and I show up on the next page.

Edited by sydneybrown

1 hour ago, chanandlerbong said:

2) Magee was weirdly awkward in doing almost everything but backflips and armdrags - maybe he could’ve gotten better with about a year on the road but hard to say.

Something as simple as giving Magee a house show program with someone who could teach him how to work a little snugger would have done so much for him. Give him a few weeks of working with Haku, and see how much better he could be.

On 5/16/2019 at 1:49 PM, OSJ said:

Hey Paul! Get me this guy on the phone, willya, pal? Whenever you get done with whatever you and Steff are doing back there... Hey, this guy's A WRITER! We need some more writers don't we? He even does a funny book, he's got this dead guy who hangs out in hotels so they call him the INN Spectre, cause ya know, "Inn" is another word for "hotel" HAHAHAHAHA!!! This guy will slay ya, pal. Some really funny shit. Did ya know that a big fear people have of travelling is something coming up out of the toilet to GET THEM!!!! I SHIT YA NOT!!! HAHAHAHAHA! See what I just did there? There's your first twenty minutes of RAW, shoot it in the lobby and have that fat Samoan guy play the bell-hop and have this Vic guy sign a release  and show up dressed as the INN Spectre! Have him chase the fat guy around the ring a few times, I don't think creative has anything else for him to do. I'm sure that we can get this Vic guy for fifty bucks and some t--shirts... We've got a lot of those shirts for the Saudi show, don't we?

They wish, sixty bucks and action figures, that is where the money is.

4 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Something as simple as giving Magee a house show program with someone who could teach him how to work a little snugger would have done so much for him. Give him a few weeks of working with Haku, and see how much better he could be.

He might be dead after that.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Seriously. Lemmy was a non-racist WWII enthusiast. He was also GOD. Leave your politics at the door, please.

Fuck anyone for giving you shit about Motorhead. I'm a black dude who loves Motorhead. Saw them in concert twice.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, chanandlerbong said:

Apologies but I don’t see a thread for it - just saw the Network’s Hart/Magee special and a couple of observations:

1) Tom Magee was a great athlete but just judging by his talking about his life since and his time back then, he is just not a “pro wrestling guy.” Nice dude, great accomplishments but not someone who seemed wired for the business.

2) Magee was weirdly awkward in doing almost everything but backflips and armdrags - maybe he could’ve gotten better with about a year on the road but hard to say.

3) Harry Smith’s Bret impression is INCREDIBLE.

Magee must have been complete garbage at promos, because if Vince really wanted to push him they could've worked around his limitations the way they did with Warrior. Where he really looks bad is his All-Japan stuff. The Choshu match is gawdawful because he hadn't even learned to sell yet so he just keeps popping up after taking moves. Two years later he's still throwing laughably loose punches and chops and sloppy kicks until Wajima has enough of his shit and slaps him in a crab to get it over with.

• Like 1

I love this fucking board and all of you so much. Just because it needs to be said. If any of you are ever feeling bad about yourselves, just remember, "well, I'm tolerated by the DVDVR board, I must be able to tolerate society and vice versa for the next week, right?"

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

Technology is great.

I just got to show JJ Dillon a match on my phone from 1980 with Him managing prof Tanaka vs gart hart and mark lewin. 

"I've had better days" says JJ after seeing the blade job he did. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, The Comedian said:

Magee must have been complete garbage at promos, because if Vince really wanted to push him they could've worked around his limitations the way they did with Warrior. Where he really looks bad is his All-Japan stuff. The Choshu match is gawdawful because he hadn't even learned to sell yet so he just keeps popping up after taking moves. Two years later he's still throwing laughably loose punches and chops and sloppy kicks until Wajima has enough of his shit and slaps him in a crab to get it over with.

The little bit of a promo they show is pretty brutal but standard white-meat 'aw shucks' babyface, which is what he was. It was goofy and awkward, which is really the whole theme around Magee, I find.

I think this is where his mindset and really wanting to be a pro wrestler makes all the difference in the world and why he probably wouldn't have got it even if they did give him an extended house show tour to learn. He's this goofy, awkward, well-meaning, extremely athletic guy who gave wrestling a shot but wasn't super *into* it - the guys that are most successful in wrestling seem to be those who are completely obsessed with the business and every little detail of it. He didn't seem to love it, and that's likely a reason he was able to simply walk away and disappear from it altogether.

Also,  the SDL house show was supposed to be in Lowell,  Mass.  If you can't put asses in seats in the northeast there is a serious problem.  Speak of which,  I've received two e-mails in the last week about tickets still being available for Money in the Bank at the XL Center.  I remember when these shows would sell out immediately. 

Also, I received an e-mail about the NXT PPV in Bridgeport but I'm not sure how that event is selling. 

15 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Similar to how liking Norse culture makes you a nazi too? 

Not all Norse culture folks are Nazis, but a lot of Nazis are into that stuff.  Same as cartoon ponies.  

I'm not going to judge someone just because they have a thing for Freya.  ^_^

Edited by alstein

I've been involved in the SCA on and off for over 20 years. I can't think of a single person I know inmvolved who researches and re-enacts as a viking/Norsde persona that is the least bit wanting to link that to Nazism. There has been an intense uptick in interest in Viking/Norse culture i nthe last decade or so in general and a lot of what Hitler and the Nazis THOUGHT they knew about  Vikings and Norse culture was grossly incorrect.

James

15 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Has WWE ran a house show on SuperBowl Sunday? Sounds like a TNA thing to do.

Jim Cornette tells this story about during Jim Herds WCW run they ran a 18,000 seat arena on Easter Sunday in San Antonio a predominately Catholic town. They drew 500 people. 

We went to a WWE house show on Super Bowl Sunday like four years ago and while it wasn't a sellout it was pretty packed. It also was a matinee. We went from the show to a Super Bowl party afterward.

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Also,  the SDL house show was supposed to be in Lowell,  Mass.  If you can't put asses in seats in the northeast there is a serious problem.  Speak of which,  I've received two e-mails in the last week about tickets still being available for Money in the Bank at the XL Center.  I remember when these shows would sell out immediately. 

Also, I received an e-mail about the NXT PPV in Bridgeport but I'm not sure how that event is selling. 

To be fair: If I knew the 3-4 biggest stars for SDL likely weren't going to be at the show because they've been assigned to RAW for the night, I'm not buying tickets to see midcard 6-man tag matches.

Which creates the issue of haves vs have-nots. By cancelling shows due to the Wildcard rule, they're telling 97% of the SDL roster they're not important. Not Roman? Not Kofi? Not Charlotte? Not Bryan? Stay at your hotel or sit in RAW's catering hall, folks. Because they have value and you? Not so much.

This would be the time to throw something against the wall for the 'minor' stars and see if anything sticks. Maybe someone gets hot and you have another big name to add into the mix. 

4 hours ago, chanandlerbong said:

I think this is where his mindset and really wanting to be a pro wrestler makes all the difference in the world and why he probably wouldn't have got it even if they did give him an extended house show tour to learn. 

He didn't ever go full time on the road, but he did wrestle at least 120 matches in the five or six years he was in the business, possibly more if cagematch's listings are incomplete.

By all accounts and the admittedly limited video evidence, he didn't improve much in that time.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

That's also how I got in and out of Vegas for $400 a few years ago.  Total.  Flight, room, food, drink, gambling.  I saw super cheap rates for everything and booked it and only later realized I was flying in on Easter Sunday.

And it's Fawlty.

EDIT:  Fucking hate when I make a joke to the previous post and I show up on the next page.

Blame the spellcheck monster.