DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2019 WRESTLING TALK

11 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

How bad are these shows doing for them to be repeatedly canceled? Like TNA house show bad?

They are getting cancelled because now with the Wild Card rule - half the SDL has to be at RAW so there is no one left to run a proper show

Now that being said - the Monday SDL were not doing well

Of course no WWE house show is doing well at the moment

They are really fighting to keep this brand split alive, with good reason. This roster is too big to not have a brand split. But they are losing this fight everyday. Last time it failed they were sort of thankful that they had a much smaller roster, and no competition. If the damn breaks once again, you will have an extremely unhappy locker room that will either not be on TV, or demoted to Florida, and maybe even the UK. 

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Bix gave me shit for liking Motorhead on here one time. Fuck that guy.

Well, he more than likely assumes that makes you a Nazi.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What's the point of running house shows on the evenings you have a live TV show? I understand that audience isn't large enough to take away from TV views but it seems weird like running a house show on Superbowl Sunday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

What's the point of running house shows on the evenings you have a live TV show? I understand that audience isn't large enough to take away from TV views but it seems weird like running a house show on Superbowl Sunday.

Has WWE ran a house show on SuperBowl Sunday? Sounds like a TNA thing to do.

Jim Cornette tells this story about during Jim Herds WCW run they ran a 18,000 seat arena on Easter Sunday in San Antonio a predominately Catholic town. They drew 500 people. 

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

In the perfect Utopia that the WWE wishes it operated in - this is how it works

The biggest reason they keep the brand split right now is because of house show touring (Meltzer was just talking about this either this week or last). How it is supposed to work (when there isn't the Wild Card and people just constantly meandering between brands) is that two seperate brands allows you to run more shows and be able to advertise who will be on each show. (NXT is an example of the opposite where the market almost no one ahead of time and you have to make assumptions as to who is on each tour each week)

The way it is supposed to work is that wrestlers appear on their TV show one night and have four nights of house shows with two days off. (The days between the TV show and when house shows start)

So right now RAW is Thursday - Sunday, TV on Monday

SDL is Friday - Monday, TV on SDL

If you move SDL to Thursday - Sunday - you have folks then still have to travel on Monday to whatever city TV is in and twiddling their thumbs.

If you eliminate the Monday show - SDL folks are wrestling one less time a week than the RAW side (in addition to the problem of SDL guys just sitting around in the city that TV is supposed to be in

19 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Has WWE ran a house show on SuperBowl Sunday? Sounds like a TNA thing to do.

Jim Cornette tells this story about during Jim Herds WCW run they ran a 18,000 seat arena on Easter Sunday in San Antonio a predominately Catholic town. They drew 500 people. 

Yeah, that sounds like a WCW thing to do.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Similar to how liking Norse culture makes you a nazi too? 

Nazi! It's all about specifics really. Mel Gibson's father? Probably pretty close to wanting to be a Nazi. Lemmy? Not so much.

Apologies but I don’t see a thread for it - just saw the Network’s Hart/Magee special and a couple of observations:

1) Tom Magee was a great athlete but just judging by his talking about his life since and his time back then, he is just not a “pro wrestling guy.” Nice dude, great accomplishments but not someone who seemed wired for the business.

2) Magee was weirdly awkward in doing almost everything but backflips and armdrags - maybe he could’ve gotten better with about a year on the road but hard to say.

3) Harry Smith’s Bret impression is INCREDIBLE.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

thunder_beats_seinfeld.jpg?w=300&h=225 

They were only on together for five months, and unfortunately I couldn't find the ratings to specifically compare the half-hour that Thunder was up against Seinfeld. 

I see the game you're playing. You're trying to goad me into posting a Seinfeld clip in an attempt to have Rippa ban me again. Not gonna happen.

3 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I was playing, not comparing their ratings in earnest. 

Just looked up the ratings for Seinfeld's final season the other day for the GOT thread. Safe to say there's no way Thunder ever touched first-run Seinfeld. 

I know, dude. It's all in good fun.

3 minutes ago, sabremike said:

I did Nazi that coming!

If you want Nazi jokes, the 2016 Impact thread when it looked like the Harris Brothers were going to get the company is chock full of them.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If you want Nazi jokes, the 2016 Impact thread when it looked like the Harris Brothers were going to get the company is chock full of them.

I'll let somebody else make a Faulty Towers reference: "How did zey ever win ze war???"