DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2019 WRESTLING TALK

26 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

I'm really not trying to defend this idiot but good grief these wrestlers must sign the worst labor contracts since the Soviet Union.

If you try to fight it as a wrestler without any stroke, then you are asking to be black balled no matter how unfair the system is.

If only there was a union. *sigh*

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

55 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

If you try to fight it as a wrestler without any stroke, then you are asking to be black balled no matter how unfair the system is.

If only there was a union. *sigh*

AFAIK, the only person who's ever tried to fight a WWE contract was Brock, and he won.

22 minutes ago, Ace said:

AFAIK, the only person who's ever tried to fight a WWE contract was Brock, and he won.

But Brock is a man who hates the business. The only reason he came back was because Vince wanted him back, and Vince was willing to spend the big bucks to bring him in. Brock was probably content on staying on the farm for the rest of his life. Young nobodies aren’t willing to show up their boss’s rules. I doubt Vince will want them back, unless they became somebody. But that will take them time to recover. Who’s willing to eat a bullet?

Welllllllll... Until Lio Rush came around.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Brock doesn't hate the business. He's said multiple times he doesn't hate it. Back then he didn't like the travel, he wanted to try out football before it was too late, and hated that Vince tried to hold him hostage.

3 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

I'm really not trying to defend this idiot but good grief these wrestlers must sign the worst labor contracts since the Soviet Union.

Agreed. Hey, based on his discussion board activity, Lars hates me, but even then, not quite as much as I hate the practices that he as labor is subject to by his capricious employer. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The pre-contract stuff

Dave was guessing here but he thinks that after it re-emerged a sponsor or two said something to the WWE and that is why the fine came out of nowhere. (Dave said everything was hastily rushed about the punishment - like they wanted to make sure they got it out as quick as possible and it to be really severe so they could be all LOOK HOW SERIOUS WE ARE (despite them knowing about it originally and doing nothing but warning him when they signed him)).

I am sure they will be more detail in the new WON that comes out today/overnight

I'm willing to bet one of the sponsors was Snickers, since a bunch of posters on Twitter and Reddit had a little campaign going - even got a response from Snickers.

4 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

How is there justification to fine an employee for an act committed before their start date? That doesn't make any sense to me. 

I would like to know this too. I mean legally, does it pass muster to punish someone for something they did outside the company (in this case) a decade before they were even there? Now, this isn't an excuse. But it's pretty clear Lars has some mental issues if the anxiety report was true. One could easily argue that back then he was mentally unbalanced and in dire need of help.

I mean I sometimes stuff I posted years ago and I'm like "I can't believe I posted that". 

4 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm willing to bet one of the sponsors was Snickers, since a bunch of posters on Twitter and Reddit had a little campaign going - even got a response from Snickers.

In the WON Dave confirmed that Mars Wrigley Confectionery was at least one of the sponsors who contacted the WWE

Also definitely 2019 when this line is in a story 

We don’t know of what sponsors reacted past Mars Wrigley Confectionery was furious after receiving a letter from a Reddit user who used the name “SnitchBoy.”

Re: fining for pre-WWE stuff

WWE does have the contractual right to fine a wrestler under these circumstances, even if the incident took place before working for them.

In the standard WWE contract, there is a clause that reads: “Wrestler shall act at all times with due regard to public morals and conventions during the term of this agreement. If wrestler shall have committed or shall commit any act or do anything that is or shall be an offense or violation involving moral turpitude under federal, state or local laws, or which brings wrestler into public disrepute, contempt, scandal or ridicule, or which insults or offends the community or any employee, agent or affiliate of promoter or which injures wrestlers’ reputation in promoter’s sole judgment, or diminishes the value of wrestler’s professional wrestling services to the public or promoter, then at the time of any such act, or any time after promoter learns of any such act, promoter shall have the right to fine wrestler in an amount to be determined by promoter; and promoter shall have the right to immediately suspend wrestler and/or terminate this agreement pursuant to Section 12.”

The issue more specific to this situation is the WWE knowing about it prior but deciding to not punish when they first learned of it and then doing so later (similar the Disney/James Gunn  situation for those wanting to say that only the WWE would do something like this)

14 hours ago, Eivion said:

Is this fine for something he did within the company or the racist shit from before he signed a contract? I'm curious because I'm not sure how they could realistically/legally fine him for the latter.

6 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

How is there justification to fine an employee for an act committed before their start date? That doesn't make any sense to me. 

LOL same way they justify their employees being independent contractors.  They do whatever they feel like doing, make it up as they go along, and the wrestlers take it and ask for more.

But this is one case where I honestly don't care about WWE pulling unfair shit on a wrestler.  Fine this bigot a million if he's dumb enough to pay it.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

similar the Disney/James Gunn  situation for those wanting to say that only the WWE would do something like this

So what you're saying is that in a few months, WWE will refund the fines after everyone forgets about this?

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

So what you're saying is that in a few months, WWE will refund the fines after everyone forgets about this?

Or never dock his pay

And I guess this would be considered the WON version of the stuff that @West Newbury Bad Boy posted on

Some notes regarding different things of late. Paul Levesque, while never saying anything publicly, those close to the situation say he’s very frustrated with how things are going on the main roster. One person noted that a big problem isn’t Vince not being open to suggestions, but that they believe he’s far too open these days to suggestions and that it ends up watering down all the original visions and storylines. We’re told that there has been too much input from too many people on the team who haven’t figured out that when you change something in a story, it has a ripple effect on every aspect of the story. He solicits input on so much from so many people that it leads to things being watered down. There is a question of how Vince is going to cope with things early next year once the XFL starts. I can recall in 2001 when everyone doing both was just exhausted during football season. For better or worse, Vince’s workload is crazy now. He’s often in the office past midnight, close to 3 a.m. at least once a week and Friday’s his easy day, he’s working until 8 p.m. It’s mostly work and lifting weights, and occasionally watching some football on the weekend. The feeling is once the XFL starts, even though he says nothing will change, that it is simply impossible that’s the case unless he spends little time on the XFL. And since he’s got so much riding on the XFL, and is spending so much money on it, I can’t see him staying out of it. Regarding the family, Levesque picks his spots to talk with Vince, but never does it in front of anyone. Stephanie has nothing to do with creative. Shane does pitch ideas for himself but they rarely get used

That makes me giggle way more than it should

Andrade has gotten high marks from everyone of late. He’s gotten great reviews from the live event producers and the talent is also as a general rule really positive regarding his ability. He’s pretty much become universally loved. Vince wants to push him but does feel his English is going to hold him back. Through talent relations, they’ve given him an English tutor to speed him up in that regard. He’s been speaking more English in his promos of late because they want him to get more practice at it, rather than just rely on Vega to do it for him. I’m still not sure why the English is a hold back because Vega is great in her role and speaks great, and look no farther than Heyman and Lesnar to see that the dynamic of a great talker with a talent that speaks little can get over at the top level

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Andrade has gotten high marks from everyone of late. He’s gotten great reviews from the live event producers and the talent is also as a general rule really positive regarding his ability. He’s pretty much become universally loved. Vince wants to push him but does feel his English is going to hold him back. Through talent relations, they’ve given him an English tutor to speed him up in that regard. He’s been speaking more English in his promos of late because they want him to get more practice at it, rather than just rely on Vega to do it for him. I’m still not sure why the English is a hold back because Vega is great in her role and speaks great, and look no farther than Heyman and Lesnar to see that the dynamic of a great talker with a talent that speaks little can get over at the top level

This honestly makes me pretty damn happy for the guy.  I love his role as a heel but if they find a way to turn him face (not anytime soon of course) then they may have the Latino star that they've been looking for.  And yes I know Rey is still there but point stands.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Stephanie has nothing to do with creative.

I'm just quoting this in the hopes that I'll never have to read another "Stephanie's putting herself on TV what a bitch in real life" hot take in any future RAW threads.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rick said:

If I'm reading correctly ITV has picked up AEW. 

BT hoarding quite the portfolio with UFC, Champions League and now WWE rights. If BT can wrestle away more Premier League games I can cancel cable entirely.

I wonder if WWE PPV's come with it like the UFC rights do.

• Like 1