DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2019 WRESTLING TALK

3 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

If I was a young kid getting into the business today... the last thing I would do is go under the development of the WWE. It would be the longer play- but travelling around and building up your own name is far more valuable in the long term for your marketability. 

This.

At most I would sign a 12-24 month NXT only deal just to help build my name up another level for indy work.

RAW & SDL just aren’t worth the hassle.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Unless you're one of a small number of indie stars that can make a comfortable living being a full-time wrestler outside of WWE, refusing to sign to WWE seems pretty stupid and markish.

To be fair - you can be one of the small number of indie stars and still seem stupid and markish

Related - Austin Aries signed with MLW

• Haha 6

Before this spike in competition, if you weren’t being signed by the WWE then there might have been a reason for that. Whether it was your size, in ring style, lack of personality, or zero fanbase. If you did eventually develop some of that, and gained an indie fanbase, then it’s the wrestlers choice at that point to cash out to a big company, which at the end of the day is the ultimate goal. Nowadays if you show a monochrome of talent, one of these companies is going to scoop you up fast to screw over the other company.

The great thing right now with first NJPW, and now AEW is that top indie stars have an advantage in the negotiation room when it comes to money, and name rights. At least I’ve noticed that with Samoa Joe, and AJ. Problem with joining the WWE is the roster is so stacked at this point, that you aren’t guaranteed a push, and you might either be jobbed out, or won’t be on TV much. So you might effect your stock if you were planning on making more on your next contract with them. AEW might be a better choice, unless WWE comes up with a better counter offer that you can’t pass up to lure you away.

Wrestlers have more power now than 5 years ago, but it’s a far cry from the golden period.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MORELOCK said:

Unless you're one of a small number of indie stars that can make a comfortable living being a full-time wrestler outside of WWE, refusing to sign to WWE seems pretty stupid and markish.

Equally, if you are one of the small number, agreeing to sign with WWE could also be pretty stupid. For every indie superstar who's thrived, there's a couple who've thrown away years of their career achieving nothing.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AxB said:

Equally, if you are one of the small number, agreeing to sign with WWE could also be pretty stupid. For every indie superstar who's thrived, there's a couple who've thrown away years of their career achieving nothing.

It is interesting to speculate how somebody like Shawn Spears would've turned out if he'd labored on the indies for a decade instead of FCW and NXT.

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

It is interesting to speculate how somebody like Shawn Spears would've turned out if he'd labored on the indies for a decade instead of FCW and NXT.

Well, Spears has an example of it: He was outside of the WWE from 2009-2013 for an example, and he left WWE with a semblance of credibility: An acclaimed run in OVW, a short run on ECW television before being released.

Spears then went on to do nothing of note on the independent scene until his rehiring with WWE. 

Ultimately, there's pros and cons to both sides, and the ideal one is to do both. 

On the indie scene, someone with the talent will rise to the top eventually, but it's much more ephemeral. The flavor of the month one year could struggle to get bookings the next as people stop caring...and eventually going to WWE is your better option to move forward.

On the WWE side, it's not a guarantee you'll get to the top- but they'll pay you well...in many cases, pay you, PERIOD, and after you walk away, "Former WWE Superstar [name]" is enough so you'll get bookings on the indie scene for the rest of your life.

7 minutes ago, cool arrow said:

Over/under on how long before Aries burns his bridges with MLW?

I say as long as Bauer keeps Aries away from Ki, and Hart, he should be fine for the time being. 

I wonder if Court creates all those stupid weight divisions for belts just for this sort of issue.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I say as long as Bauer keeps Aries away from Ki, and Hart, he should be fine for the time being. 

I wonder if Court creates all those stupid weight divisions for belts just for this sort of issue.

I figure some or all will revert to their old bridge burning troublesome ways at some point.

Teddy will be fine as long as he's got Bulldog jr there to keep him on the straight and narrow. Ki has mostly been used as World Champion and as a main eventer (and was largely programmed with his friends, like Konnan), so he's been happy (so far). Aries might be aware that this is the only unburnt bridge he has left and therefore behave himself for a while... But he might not. Hard to tell with that guy. Just last year he was doing a belt collector gimmick where he had all these titles, and now not only has he lost all the belts, he's not booked by those companies either.

How is MLW doing this? As in, how are they a wrestling promotion again? They were before and it was, well, not good and ECW-lite. It then died, but MLW just seemed to live on as a podcast brand.

Then years later, they're putting on shows again, touring, they have weekly TV, etc.

So, what, did Court pocket a lot of podcasting money for all those years to re-launch MLW as a wrestling promotion or is there another backer?

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

How is MLW doing this? As in, how are they a wrestling promotion again? They were before and it was, well, not good and ECW-lite. It then died, but MLW just seemed to live on as a podcast brand.

Then years later, they're putting on shows again, touring, they have weekly TV, etc.

So, what, did Court pocket a lot of podcasting money for all those years to re-launch MLW as a wrestling promotion or is there another backer?

This is all info from Wiki but it says the MLW Radio Network consistently has 5-6 podcasts in the top 100 on iTunes under the sports category and it says they have a TV deal with beIN Sports so they started running television tapings in cities that carry the MLW show. How they got the TV deal I don't know I'm guessing it was just like anything else the network needed content and MLW was there for the taking. 

WWE should sue~! ???

VKF "SLAMBOREE 2019", 12.05.2019 
Osaka Konohana Kumin Hall 
210 Fans 

1. Yuya Susumu  besiegt VKF Machine No. 1 (8:47) mit einem Front Flash. 
2. Resurrection Miracle Ranger vs. Palette Club: Kona Tonga, Kernel Anderson & JA Styles besiegen Miracle Red, Miracle Yellow & Miacle Pink (8:15) nach dem Veleno von Tonga gegen Yellow. 
3. Independent World Jr. Heavyweight Title: Shuichiro Katsumura  (c) besiegt VKF Machine No. 3 (10:45) mit einer Sliding Leg Lariat (2nd defense). 
4. TORU & X = Koji Kanemoto besiegen Takaku Fuke & Goa (12:35) nach einem Vertical-Drop Brainbuster von TORU gegen Fuke. 
5. monkey Business superstars vs. VIVA MEX CABRONES: Kenichiro Arai , Hide Kubota , MIYAWAKI & AKe Jo besiegen Hiroaki Taniguchi, Tsubasa, Billy Ken Kid & CHANGO (13:58) nach einem Spinebuster von Jo gegen CHANGO. 

I remember seeing those MLW banner ads on 1wrestling way way back in the day reading Dave scherers daily lariat as a kid. It really is such a weird progression from weird-post-WCW-indie to podcasts to now what I understand is a pretty critically lauded show at times. Too bad no one from the XWF or WWA had that kind of foresight.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 11:43 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

The life of an independent contractor. 

On that subject, have any of you been to his feedmemore.com site? Apparently he sells supplements. This one gave me a chuckle out of this one: 

Spoiler

zSOQYH1.jpg

Also, if any of you have that Pluto tv app there's a impact wrestling channel. I think it covers everything that/impact. Although I had to turn that crap off when there was icp chant.

• Haha 1