DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2019 WRESTLING TALK

5 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

That clip was beautiful. It had everything I could possibly want: big guys crushing people, spikes, fireballs, Cornette on commentary...I need to catch up on MLW. I've watched the first 3 episodes of Fusion but have them all saved in a playlist on Youtube. 

MLW is an awesome hour of wrestling. I think Cornette has been great on commentary. The only time his commentary has annoyed me was his shitting on Jimmy Havoc and Sami Callihan.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

MLW is an awesome hour of wrestling. I think Cornette has been great on commentary. The only time his commentary has annoyed me was his shitting on Jimmy Havoc and Sami Callihan.

I'm not shocked at this. I've heard him rant on Sami before and he spent a few minutes of his post-Mania episode of the Experience shitting on Havoc. Kinda unprofessional if he let it shine through on his on-air commentary though. If anyone hasn't heard that post-Mania episode and is considering listening to it, DON"T. It was miserable. I like Cornette but hearing how much someone hates the modern product for two hours or whatever was just rough. 

19 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Cornette thinks almost everyone should be wearing a suit and tie or whatever the fuck. Him shitting on Havoc isn't surprising.

It wasn't surprising at all, just annoying.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

One person that got Cash'd ruined the previous AEW threads. I'm pretty sure that person was actually Vince Russo. How else can one explain someone defending 2000 WCW and Dixie Carter TNA?

Dixie Carter TNA covers a lot of ground and has its moments.

Bischoff/Hogan TNA? Still fun, but much older. Definitely headed in the wrong direction.

I am not Vince Russo. 

39 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Dixie Carter TNA covers a lot of ground and has its moments.

Bischoff/Hogan TNA? Still fun, but much older. Definitely headed in the wrong direction.

I am not Vince Russo. 

Money mark panda Dixie some moments yes.

Onscreen Character not so much. 

8 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

If people watch less bad wrestling, they'd have less of a desire to watch people goof off. 

People should watch less bad wrestling. 

The problem with that is that ultimately, WWE's worst problem is that it's not BAD wrestling. Ultimately, WWE's wrestlers are too good at their job for the wrestling to be truly bad and even at their worst, the wrestling you see will at least be okay.

WWE's problem is that it's worse than bad: It's BORING. 

Being Bad is good. We saw from the Brokenverse that if wrestling gets bad enough, you can at least watch it and have a great time laughing at it. There's plenty of bad wrestlers who were so hilarious to watch they turned to being sublime, and there's plenty of Johnny Kickpads-type perfectly good wrestlers on an in-ring standard who, nonetheless, you'd rather gnaw your own foot off like a fox caught in a trap than watch another match with them.  WWE feels like that type of match where it's "I can recognize how good you are, but I have no interest in seeing you wrestle ever again." 

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

One person that got Cash'd ruined the previous AEW threads. I'm pretty sure that person was actually Vince Russo. How else can one explain someone defending 2000 WCW and Dixie Carter TNA?

Tying into that same theory, WCW 2000 was easy to defend because: Vince Russo has a distinct booking style around him:

1- Give the roster an enema. Realize even if you have competition, sometimes it's better to let that falling star who has no value except their name walk away, and even if they jump ship to the competition, it's worth it solely so that YOU don't have them anymore. Flush out the worthless names clogging up the upper card.

2- Build around the up and coming talent. There's bound to be some good talent in the midcard and lower. Put them up against the top stars, give them opportunities...just give them the car keys and see if they can take you further.

3- Give everyone on the roster, top to bottom, something to do- a gimmick, a character, a feud, a motivation to be onscreen. That way, if someone- anyone- catches fire, you're already prepared to run with them.

4- Pander to the hardcore fans; if you're booking like this, you know you're in a rebuilding era as much as anyone, and the hardcore fans are the only people obsessed with wrestling enough to ride it out with you...and the people who's excitement will tell the casual fans it's safe to come back.

This worked in 1997 WWF, it worked in 2003 TNA, it worked in 2008-09 TNA...whenever Vince Russo had a promotion in a rebuilding year, his method has always worked wonders to help snap them out of the doldrums.

2000 WCW is literally the one time that style blew up in his face, and there's good reason to believe that 1999 WCW was so bad it was dead when Russo got there and by the time he showed up, WCW was already beyond saving (whereas all those other options were bad, but not "all hope is gone" bad- and it ended up working as a result.)

• Like 4

The only thing I give Russo credit for is giving everyone a character and a motivation for being on-screen. We don't know how much he was responsible for in '97 WWF or what ideas got axed by VKM. TNA always had wrestling that could cover for Russo's stupid angles. TNA was smart enough to go after guys working ROH and other indies before WWE did. I don't think Russo should be praised when we got stuff like Sports Entertainment Xtreme, heel Tony Schiavonie cutting a worked shoot, a midget masturbating in a garbage can, etc. Eric Bischoff's go to plan was invasion angles. With Russo, it was worked shoots and crash tv. Russo was essentially the same as Jerry Springer. It was entertaining when I was 17, but when I'm in my 20's-30's and he's doing the same thing, it's dated and sad.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

WWE/Lars Sullivan issued a statement to random wrestling websites like WrestlingInc and other D-level sites. It's... uh, short and to the point?

"There is no excuse for the inappropriate remarks that I made years ago. They do not reflect my personal beliefs nor who I am today, and I apologize to anyone I offended."

That's all it needs to be. Muck raking from years ago is almost as shitty as making the comments themselves, I'd hate to be held accountable for some of the boneheaded things I said and did when I was younger

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Oddly, whenever I want to see wrestling lately, I go online and watch squash matches. 

Squash matches are so good. I feel like modern wrestling is often so focused on "good matches," which is a term that tends to be narrowly defined as "20+ minute back-and-forth with a few false finishes thrown in for good measure," that the art form of other good matches has sort of been lost. 

You go back and watch a Razor Ramon squash and you realise Scott Hall was the king of this. He knew where all the cameras were, where to do a move in the ring, where to mug to the crowd, it's absolute perfection in the minutia.

Of course, the out and out greatest squash match of all time remains:

Any time a workrate mark would shit on Sid back in the day I'd be like "yeah but..." and post this

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

That's all it needs to be. Muck raking from years ago is almost as shitty as making the comments themselves, I'd hate to be held accountable for some of the boneheaded things I said and did when I was younger

Get woke. Nothing short of ruining this guys career over dumb shit he said years ago is acceptable.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

You go back and watch a Razor Ramon squash and you realise Scott Hall was the king of this. He knew where all the cameras were, where to do a move in the ring, where to mug to the crowd, it's absolute perfection in the minutia.

Of course, the out and out greatest squash match of all time remains:

Any time a workrate mark would shit on Sid back in the day I'd be like "yeah but..." and post this

Hall talked about how he used squash matches to get over on Austin's show. He said that right before he got to the WWF, he went to a few shows to sit in the crowd just to watch what got over. He saw how the crowd popped every time The Steiners picked someone up over their heads so he made sure to do that a bunch. He would always do a couple of moves that involved him picking a guy up way over his head because it's an impressive visual and an easy way to show your strength.

8 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Oddly, whenever I want to see wrestling lately, I go online and watch squash matches. 

Squash matches are so good. I feel like modern wrestling is often so focused on "good matches," which is a term that tends to be narrowly defined as "20+ minute back-and-forth with a few false finishes thrown in for good measure," that the art form of other good matches has sort of been lost. 

Your three-minute squashes. Your nine-minute semi-competitive TV matches (I guess these aren't as hard to come by, but man, when commercial breaks segment them, they certainly feel longer). Your five-minute sprints. Where are my Owen Hart/1-2-3 Kid from KotR '94 matches? Sometimes I want to see dudes throw bombs without a bunch of selling and laying around. A dude like Seth Rollins could honestly benefit from wrestling a few five-minute bombfests on TV, I think. 

I pine for the days of Yokozuna thrust-kicking hapless 195-pound jobbers, I really do. YouTube is truly magical sometimes. 

Cornette and Meltzer had a great conversation about this on Cornette's podcast. It was along the lines of everyone wrestles to the level of their talent and not their position on the card. For instance, yes, Lio Rush can actually wrestle but he shouldn't be hanging with someone like Finn Balor because he's a manager. JJ Dillon told a story about a match he had in Florida after he had mainly transitioned into being a manager. He wanted to show that he was still a good worker so he went out and had what he thought was a great match. He came to the back and Eddie Graham was furious b/c a great match isn't what was called for in that situation. JJ was perceived as a chickenshit manager so he should've wrestled like one.

• Like 4

https://www.wwe.com/article/evolution-of-becky-lynch

Becky Lynch article covering her rise attacking Charlotte Flair at SummerSlam 2018 (man, that was the biggest crowd reaction on that show) to becoming Becky Two Belts at WrestleMania XXXV. The Evolution show isn't included, that's a mistake.

Edited by The Natural

32 minutes ago, Swiftian said:

Someone start a squash match thread. I could watch this stuff all day long.

Here is this really old thread

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Naomi is on tour. She literally snatched Lana's wig off in a match.

I blame Cagematch for not listing her with the Usos 

Still that makes it three out of eight - that's not a good percentage

4 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Don't want your ass bit over stupid racist shit you posted in your past on the internet? Don't post stupid racist shit on the internet.

The point is, this is all public record. Every keystroke. Everyone needs to be prepared to be held accountable for every contribution or thought they post. 

Edited by Infinit
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Swiftian said:

Someone start a squash match thread. I could watch this stuff all day long.

I've brought this up before but listening to David Crockett breathlessly calling Ronnie Garvin squashes is....interesting. If you listen to the commentary without context, you'd think something other than a pro wrestling match was going on.

"Look at him Tony...just look at him. Yes, tie him up. Hurt him! He's dominating him! Look at him Tony!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

And the crowds during the JCP tv taping squashes were the best. You would have the frat guys in the front row dressed up in suits because they loved the Horsemen. You'd have little kids who on the one hand would boo all the heels yet start chanting "break it (insert wrestler's name here), break it!" whenever the main event guy was working a job guy's arm or leg.