DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2019 WRESTLING TALK

8 minutes ago, AxB said:

If they start watching non-WWE Wrestling on YouTube instead, all to the good. Especially if you're Beyond, or Defiant, or IPW...

... Or MLW who’s views look to have gone up, which is a great sign for potential competition. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ryan said:

No, just using words against their intention for humor. No slight against you. If you're ever at a Klan rally, I'll end up looking quite the fool though.

Oh alright my bad dude I completely misread the tone of that post. I was at work at the time and in a bad mood already so I was probably being a little overly sensitive about shit (which, you know who hates that? That damn Lars Sullivan..)

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

or W*ING which is just sitting there, waiting for all of you

Look I love Steve Weber, but I don’t think adding another old NBC sitcom as another WWE alternative to my line-up is the right thing.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

Anyone else get the WWE Fan Club surveys? I try to be honest in them which is probably why I rarely get them. It seems every major story from the company these days is something negative. I've enjoyed Impact and MLW lately and MITB hasn't meant much the last two years.

12 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Anyone else get the WWE Fan Club surveys? I try to be honest in them which is probably why I rarely get them. It seems every major story from the company these days is something negative. I've enjoyed Impact and MLW lately and MITB hasn't meant much the last two years.

I get them... or do sometimes

I think it might also depend on how often you fill them out. Like I haven't done the last three and thus I don't think I got any in like the last month

Story from the new WON (from this year's Cauliflower Alley Club)

David Schultz gave a speech with nothing but ripping on Vince McMahon. Years back, at CAC, everyone would do that because it was all guys with the territory mentality who believed Vince killed wrestling, plus Vince didn’t like his guys going to the club. Bruce Hart did endless anti-Vince speeches two years in a row, which got a great reaction, but resulted in both Bobby Heenan and Mike Tenay quitting in their roles as M.C.’s and Tenay said he would never go back and he in fact never went back, to the point he didn’t even go to my induction two years ago. But it’s a new era and the WWE has been a major supporter. Brian Blair, who runs the organization, had to calm down Sue Aitchison, who was furious at some of the things Schultz said. Schultz called John Stossel a piece of dogshit because in his deposition he never hit Stossel in his ears. He then he got mad at Steve Austin for saying he cuffed Stossel in his ears and said that Austin may think he’s old and crippled but he’s still got one good fight left. He told a story about how a guy pulled a gun of Jerry Lawler in Tupelo, MS, and he beat the guy up and threw his gun away. Lawler, who was there, admitted that the guy had the gun stuck right in his head when Schultz saved him. He also said another time in Memphis a guy tried to attack Lawler’s car with Lawler in it with a baseball bat and Schultz showed up with a lead pipe covered by a rubber house and Schultz attacked him with it and the guy dropped his bat and ran off. He said Tony Garea was one of the few guys in WWF who will talk with him. He said he’s got nothing against the wrestlers who worked for the WWF, they were trying to make a living and doing a good job, but Schultz said that Vince McMahon put him on the street and put a lien on his house and his property for doing what he told Schultz to do and what Schultz said he thought Vince wanted me to do (when he slapped Stossel). He said not one wrestler called him to see if they could help him. But he understood that if anyone had called him they probably would have lost their job. Then he went off on Hulk Hogan, who he called poor Terry, who complained how stiff he was and complained about him in promos talking about how big his head was. He said Hogan told Vince that Schultz was going to beat him on national TV and called him a big crybaby, noting that when Hogan started that he and his wife used to let Hogan stay at their house when he couldn’t afford a hotel room. After wrestling, he started bounty hunting, a job he got a lot of media publicity for doing. Later he worked as a truck drive transporting cotton. He said he made good money bounty hunting but it was a very dangerous occupation.

And in a follow up to the Emmy story - if you guessed Michael Hayes was the jealous person you win yourself a Coke

While that was a bigger story, the backstage writing story that was the talk of backstage involved Jennifer Pepperman, 50, a member of the writing team who on 5/3 had won a Daytime Emmy for Outstanding Director of a Digital Drama Series, for her work on “After Forever” on Amazon Prime. She had also won another Daytime Emmy yeas back for Outstanding Directing Team and came from the soap opera world, working on shows live One Life to Live and As the World Turns dating back to 1999. So she showed up in Cincinnati with her newly-won Emmy Award, came to the production meeting before the show, and put the Emmy on the table as she came into the room for the meeting. Everyone started looking at her. It was considered amazing naive to do something like that in a room full of wrestling people who has never been considered for such an award, she’s got more than one and it wasn’t the place for it. Michael Hayes told her to put it away. The mood of the room was people thinking that this person traveled on the flight to Cincinnati with her award to show up and put it on the table during the meeting. Vince just laughed it off because he was so busy making so many changes but otherwise it was the talk backstage. The feeling was that wrestling isn’t the soap opera world and she was showing off with something that doesn’t relate to wrestling. Even when Hayes told her, she didn’t take the nice bit of advice seriously. The feeling wasn’t that she was a bad person or a bad writer or anything like that, but that she was completely not understanding the culture of the pro wrestling business and people involved to do that. We were told that she’s been with the company long enough that she should have understood how people would have reacted to that, and that she’s generally well liked and thought of highly otherwise

Michael Hayes is a clear and documented asshole, but I'm not sure I'm on the side of the writer here. Who shows up to a work meeting with an award they received and places the award on the meeting table where work is supposed to be done? I don't see how it's even just a pro wrestling thing. Do Hollywood writers show up to their Hollywood work meetings and put their Oscars on the table? Just seems like a weird flex that would rub normal people the wrong way, let alone wrestling people. 

Glad it was pointed out that Vince laughed it off. Maybe that will stem the tide of obligatory "this fucking company/Vince is a crazy asshole" posts today. 

11 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Michael Hayes is a clear and documented asshole, but I'm not sure I'm on the side of the writer here. Who shows up to a work meeting with an award they received and places the award on the meeting table where work is supposed to be done? I don't see how it's even just a pro wrestling thing. Do Hollywood writers show up to their Hollywood work meetings and put their Oscars on the table? Just seems like a weird flex that would rub normal people the wrong way, let alone wrestling people. 

Glad it was pointed out that Vince laughed it off. Maybe that will stem the tide of obligatory "this fucking company/Vince is a crazy asshole" posts today. 

Yes, her behavior sounds very normal. Unlike Hayes who’s called Mark Henry to his face a “N***er”, and once helped Rosa Mendez fall off the wagon. Also I swear I’ve heard of certain directors, and writers bringing their major awards to work on the first day back. 

• Thanks 1

It is entirely possible a couple of coworkers who are friends of hers were all "OOH! Bring it in! I want to see it!". And if the only time you are going to see them is when that meeting starts, it doesn't seem odd to bring it in.

I know this is the second time the "Oh she flew with the award!" being brought up like a negative. If I won a major award - there is no fucking way I am trusting the airlines to handle that fucker.

There are lots of stories of the things people do with their awards.

Kate Winslet said in an interview (I pretty sure it was Winslet) that she leaves an Oscar in her bathroom so people can pick it up and practice giving speeches in the mirror.

18 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Yes, her behavior sounds very normal. Unlike Hayes who’s called Mark Henry to his face a “N***er”, and once helped Rosa Mendez fall off the wagon. Also I swear I’ve heard of certain directors, and writers bringing their major awards to work on the first day back. 

Yes, that's correct. I also have a friend who has won multiple Emmys and he's brought his awards in to his news studio because he's proud of his accomplishment, others want to see them, and there's an idea in the studio to show off your awards to spur others to want to achieve the same thing.

28 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Yes, her behavior sounds very normal. Unlike Hayes who’s called Mark Henry to his face a “N***er”, and once helped Rosa Mendez fall off the wagon.

40 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Michael Hayes is a clear and documented asshole

If you're going to respond to my posts, I don't think it's too much to ask that you read them first.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

If you're going to respond to my posts, I don't think it's too much to ask that you read them first.

I did, but that’s you brushing off Hayes’s previous disregards for backstage  etiquette to justify his reaction to something so innocent. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

No, it's whataboutism. This situation is unrelated to racial politics. Hayes being a racist doesn't mean every single thing he has ever said or done in his entire life is wrong. There is no context in which my post could be interpreted to mean I'm defending or minimizing the use of racial slurs. I suggest you work on your reading comprehension - and maybe look up the meaning of the phrase "laugh it off."

Edited by MORELOCK
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

If I won a major award - there is no fucking way I am trusting the airlines to handle that fucker.

I don't blame you, I wouldn't bring a lamp shaped like a woman's leg on a plane either.

• Haha 5

Another update on a recent story

Harper has been given no future bookings, but also won’t be let out of his contract. He asked Vince McMahon if he wasn’t going to be used if he could get out in November as is the contract expiration date, before WWE extended it six months based on his being out with an injury. McMahon told him to take it up with Paul Levesque, who then didn’t respond to him

...and yet they trot out Mojo Rawley out there every week yelling at --- whatever purple demon monster his steroid fucked brain has hallucinated in front of him.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

...and yet they trot out Mojo Rawley out there every week yelling at --- whatever purple demon monster his steroid fucked brain has hallucinated in front of him.

Because Mojo actually wants to work there. I'm not sure how they are comparable things at this point.

• Like 1