DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2019 WRESTLING TALK

6 hours ago, Victator said:

DDP had some good TV matches. But I don't think he was used as well as he should have been. I thought Nash looked good in TNA mostly. I think he takes more pride in his work than people think. Hall has been worthless since 1999 minus a match or two. Rikishi did not give a shit. I think they could have done a feud with Samoa Joe. 

You're right on all counts, but the perception at the time was that TNA was giving these old guys all the spots that should have gone to their younger talent--Samoa Joe even shot on Nash and Hall on PPV about it because he was pissed Hall no-showed a main event--and it gave the company the reputation for being marks for former WWE talent.

And to be fair to Nash, his TNA runs are on the whole probably better than his WWF/E runs.

Edited by mattdangerously

53 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

They really, really think an anti-authority character works with him. Who knows, maybe the cancer scare has softened the majority in-arena crowds, but it’s not a ratings getter. Reigns as “The guy Vince is against being The Man” will never be believable.

That's because "The Authority hates Roman Reigns" isn't the story they're telling.

49 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

That's because "The Authority hates Roman Reigns" isn't the story they're telling.

I’ve been reading results, but isn’t the current storyline that Vince wants Elias as the face of Smackdown?

Also do you mean that Vince only hates Roman because he’s not on the authority’s side like Seth was? Because that is usually part of that storyline. As they did the same with Austin.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Not as impressive trolling-wise as Sin Cara (who is friends with Raul Jiminez) attending Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Fulham* yesterday. Fulham were already relegated, but Wolves won 1-0.  So that's 1-0 to WWE vs AEW.

* Fulham being owned by Shahid Khan, and Tony Khan being on the board.

If anyone is curious about who this summer's WWE "Where'd They Go?" group is, the following people seem to have vanished without having any  reported injuries:

Dolph Ziggler (last seen in the Rumble, was supposedly working without a contract)

Killian Dain (rumored to be NXT bound)

Eric Young (confirmed move to RAW but hasn't appeared)

Mickie James (confirmed move to SmackDown but hasn't appeared)

Liv Morgan (confirmed move to SmackDown but hasn't appeared)

Sarah Logan (last appeared on Ambrose's send-off special)

Rowan (presumably being held off for Bryan's return)

Shelton Benjamin (last seen in the Andre Battle Royal)

Titus O'Neill (last seen in the Andre Battle Royal)

Rezar (last appeared on Main Event in March)

Nikki Cross (supposedly on RAW but hasn't appeared)

And of course the Colons are still floating about without ever being given anything to do. 

Edited by MORELOCK
Forgot the Chad Gable thing
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Also announced for Smackdown

- Shane will "crown new tag champs"

- KO responds to Kofi's attack

- Bayley/Ember Moon/Carmella vs. Charlotte/Fire & Desire

- Ali vs. Andrade

So of course I am sure the thing that doesn't happen will be Ali vs. Andrade

I'm not sure why it wouldn't happen. There is really nothing there to take up a ton of time unless one of the matches somehow goes 30+ minutes.

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

The last time before his return he was honestly over as a face was the Sheamus/Vince feud?

The last time he was over as a face before the return was when he speared HHH just after winning the tile. Otherwise its been mixed reactions leaning towards more boos since. The current feud isn't the most interesting, but its giving him something to do that isn't going after the world title so its probably for the best, especially since the reactions have been generally decent.

7 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I haven’t been watching the shows too closely. Has Buddy Murphy done anything since they announced his move to SmackDown? 

Just a promo vid or two.

I noticed that Renee Young, Saxton, and Otunga are now the Main Event announce team.  For anyone who watches, who is the play-by-play guy?  Is that group any good at all?  it just seems like they threw all the third-wheel losers out there to call the show no one cares much about.  Or is everything just really silent with occasional really general observations about the matches?

2 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

If anyone is curious about who this summer's WWE "Where'd They Go?" group is, the following people seem to have vanished without having any  reported injuries:

Dolph Ziggler (last seen in the Rumble, was supposedly working without a contract)

Killian Dain (rumored to be NXT bound)

Eric Young (confirmed move to RAW but hasn't appeared)

Mickie James (confirmed move to SmackDown but hasn't appeared)

Liv Morgan (confirmed move to SmackDown but hasn't appeared)

Sarah Logan (last appeared on Ambrose's send-off special)

Rowan (presumably being held off for Bryan's return)

Shelton Benjamin (last seen in the Andre Battle Royal)

Titus O'Neill (last seen in the Andre Battle Royal)

Rezar (last appeared on Main Event in March)

Nikki Cross (supposedly on RAW but hasn't appeared)

And of course the Colons are still floating about without ever being given anything to do. 

On Konnans podcast this week they intimated that Ziggler has been asked to work as an agent!

I can only assume Vince REALLY hated the Sanity gimmick and all associated with it.

For the record, Doug Basham had about 5 matches in TNA. A two month feud with BG & Kip James and that was about it.  Now Shannon Moore I did think was gonna be awesome in his first TNA run if he didn't go right back to WWE, was digging him mixing it up with Styles and Daniels. Then WWE brought him back, thought he could've been interesting with the Prince of Punk gimmick but they completely buried him until he was back in his original role from before he left. His 2nd TNA run was ok but he never got the push it seemed he was getting the first time around again.

I'm watching Clash of the Champions 23. At one point, Tony shouts out the production crew for their hard work bringing fans a staggering NINE hours of WCW action that week.

Nice to a remember a time when that number would have been a) unusual, and b) desirable. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 2

When Christian left for TNA, I didn't necessarily think he'd do big business for TNA but I thought for him personally It would be a breath of fresh air for him to had a change of scenery. He had a pretty decent run and him being paired with Tomko again was cool too. He got to work with younger guys and have fresh matches. Same for Angle too but everyone else was just in based off reputation and not to build the company. To be fair to Nash he was the most entertaining of the ex WWF/WCW guys and was way better inring in TNA than his entire WCW run. Sting had some really good matches too, I  wish he came into WWE atleast 5 years before he eventually did.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

The flaw in Ultimo Necro's reasoning is that it suggests that AEW should hire the former Tye Dillinger, which is very debatable. 

This would be an example of the other side of the "signing WWE castoffs" argument though: A lot of what makes someone feel like a castoff is how they're pushed.  Using the Shannon Moore example given- 2010 Shannon Moore as "solid midcarder and half of Ink Inc." was a pretty solid signing for TNA, but 2005 Shannon Moore "show up straight off of Velocity, run roughshod on the uppercard of TNA, beat AJ Styles clean, and walk back to WWE" was a "WWE castoff". 

The big problem with most of the unhappy WWE superstars is that they want more than they're getting: more match time, more creative freedom, more of a push, etc...and that's what people want with them.

This leads to the question mark with Dillinger being hired by AEW:

Tye Dillinger as a player-coach in AEW who works with their relatively unknown crop of talent and helps solidify them as legitimate stars would be a genuine asset to the AEW roster.

Tye Dillinger as a dominant force who's pissed off at how they treated him up north, but in AEW wrestling matters and he's finally able to show everyone the star he can be en route to running roughshod over the AEW roster, squashing AEW newcomers left and right, with all the Elite members laying down for him? Not so much. 

in case you were wondering why Kamala didn't do more mic work while being billed from a 'mysterious' African country where English is an official language. Basically he sounds more like JYD than JYD because Kamala is from Mississippi.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Smh. ?

Forget it Niners, it's Chinatown small-town Tennessee.

Though tbh, he almost won me back by touting library card access. Odd thing for a massive libertarian to do, but still great. Maybe he can get the deputy mayor to put on a sombrero and sit on a donkey riding lawnmower while showing people how to use their library card to access books on Libby while speaking in an insulting Mexican-American accent. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly

2 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

The big problem with most of the unhappy WWE superstars is that they want more than they're getting: more match time, more creative freedom, more of a push, etc...and that's what people want with them.

The downside of the Womens Evolution coming full circle for WWE is that now some of the Women have enough value to have a voice to say no to something that maybe some of the top guys do. Not since Chyna or Sable have women had enough value like Sasha or Charlotte today 

3 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Now Shannon Moore I did think was gonna be awesome in his first TNA run if he didn't go right back to WWE, was digging him mixing it up with Styles and Daniels. Then WWE brought him back, thought he could've been interesting with the Prince of Punk gimmick but they completely buried him until he was back in his original role from before he left. His 2nd TNA run was ok but he never got the push it seemed he was getting the first time around again.

You mean Ink Inc. wasn't tearing up the territory?  Tha fukk u say!

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

The downside of the Womens Evolution coming full circle for WWE is that now some of the Women have enough value to have a voice to say no to something that maybe some of the top guys do. Not since Chyna or Sable have women had enough value like Sasha or Charlotte today 

Even then, this also is going to be very interesting in a case like Sasha Banks , because the Women's Evolution has come full circle: The women can have enough value to say no to the same things some of the top guys do...but at the same time, it's clear now: Becky Lynch and Charlotte would count as genuine TOP STARS in the company.

This is going to be very interesting, because pro wrestling has been built around "this person's the top star. The show runs through them. Ideally, the top star should always win, never lose."

Men's wrestling always had that factor...but women's wrestling had always been a niche market that wasn't particularly popular. and so women's wrestling could always be a little more freeform of "Oh, i'm bored with this woman in the title feud...I want to have this person fight for the title instead. Oh, this person wants to be champ? Fine, doesn't matter- you're champ this month". Women's wrestling was built around "pretty much anyone can be champ quick, you just have to run with them for a bit", the poor booking women has been "either you're the champ or you're in catering", and that's how everyone- workers, fans, what have you- have kind of accepted women's booking will always be,

Sasha's going to be very interesting, because now we're at the crossroads of those two things: The women have the cachet to demand better booking and demand the women's division be a bigger part of the show...but if you're booking the  women's division better, ideally right now that would mean "Becky Lynch is the champion for the foreseeable future, she steamrolls and beats every woman in WWE and NXT"...and even the "well, just make secondary storylines for the women" doesn't matter, because fans and wrestlers have been conditioned to see any storyline that isn't "your favorite is dancing around with a pretty title belt that has her logo on it and everything!" as being worthless and no better than them being in catering. 

As such, Sasha Banks will be a very interesting catch-22, because Sasha's at a point where she can demand better booking and better storylines from WWE, but quite frankly for at least the next 1-2 years, if the WWE gives better booking for the women, there's really no place for Sasha Banks in the main event picture of WWE.