DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2019 WRESTLING TALK

5 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Is anyone besides the family and the executives making any real money off WWE stock? 

On an annual dividend of $0.48, the largest non-McMahon shareholder will make just under $2.9 million  based on the amount of stock it reported owning at the end of last year.

So I guess that depends on your definition of "real money." 

• Like 1

Back in 2012 I decided it was time to be a grownup and start investing. I did what all the “experts” told me to do and put 90% of the money I was investing into index funds. The rest I invested in WWE because it was so cheap, had a healthy dividend and for funsies I wanted to say I was a part owner of WWE. It was the best investment I will ever make.

Some random mid-carder who got in at the right time must’ve made a fortune.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Also,  I think WWE does have reason to be concerned with AEW.  They DO have money,  they may get a nice TV deal and someone there whether it's Vince or whoever has to realize that the product sucks,  TV ratings are down,  attendance is down..   everything is down outside of TV money and Saudi Arabia money.   WWE is not "cool".  It's not "in."  Someone over there has to realize this as much as they pump their chest out about how well they are doing financially there has to be some internal concern about how many fans they have lost. 

As much as WWE sympathizers don't want to admit, AEW is a concern because you have people so vocal about not being happy and wanting to leave. You've had a few guys leave in recent years to go to Japan or be big on the indies but the who landscape outside of WWE has changed. WWE also has pressure from FOX as well, to the point where Fox is making demands on who they want on SDLIVE. I think it's cool that FOX has a vested interest in Making SDLIVE a success rather than letting Vince just be on cruise control because he's got revenue from the FOX deal.

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

Unless their stock tanks into oblivion.

Well, that's the thing.  If I put 10K into WWE stock when it was $11 a share, I'd have $77,000 right now.  Granted I could have had $90,000 at its peak, but I'm still incredibly up.  WWE stock could lose half its value, I could still cash out and buy a new car with it.  No one signed an independent stockmarket contract that says that can only cash out when the McMahons feel like it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Technico Support said:

The "dividends" mention brings up a good point.  There are publicly-traded companies out there that won't hesitate to lay people off after a down quarter to make the stockholders feel better and boost numbers.  Meanwhile WWE's business is down and they just spout off some lame excuses and call it a day.  Then again, the McMahons do own the majority of stock, so their stockholders are powerless anyway.

Even with the dividends factor, that still ties into the problems with stockholders.

Yes, the stockholders "could" claim all of these things- but by and large, stockholders have no vested interest in pro wrestling and see it as a company making stuff. Most stockholders would demand Vince fire every wrestler, cease running new shows, and exclusively show reruns of video in the can to save money if they thought they'd make one penny more...but that wouldn't be "the right" move either. So, just keeping wrestlers employed or releasing them is more of a wash.

5 hours ago, Ziggy said:

As much as WWE sympathizers don't want to admit, AEW is a concern because you have people so vocal about not being happy and wanting to leave. You've had a few guys leave in recent years to go to Japan or be big on the indies but the who landscape outside of WWE has changed. WWE also has pressure from FOX as well, to the point where Fox is making demands on who they want on SDLIVE. I think it's cool that FOX has a vested interest in Making SDLIVE a success rather than letting Vince just be on cruise control because he's got revenue from the FOX deal.

1) AEW is a concern- but honestly, WWE not firing all of these people may be the best thing for AEW right now there is.

AEW is a going concern and the first time since TNA in the mid-00s when it felt like WWE may have serious competition. 

The one thing that'd kill AEW as a threat to TNA? Hiring a load of WWE people who leave and getting the reputation TNA eventually got of "the island of WWE castoffs". 

Indeed, this is the problem where WWE keeping so many wrestlers and not release them may be KINDER to the indy scene than firing everyone would be. Cody himself is an example of this:

One WWE star leaves, they can be absorbed into the indy scene pretty easily, assimilate, and the indy scene gets stronger.

WWE does a huge mass release spree like they did in the past? Suddenly, every indy worth their salt will have to have at least one of those workers in the main event. That mass release spree would basically determine the indie scene's main event picture for the next 12-18 months...and in the process, it'd stunt the growth of the next big things on the indie scene. The WWE castoffs would take all the main events in an independent scene that's low-key just as homogenized as WWE is, with all the big names on the indies working everywhere...and because of the fact the majority of these unhappy names wouldn't exactly want to go back to WWE any time soon, this would mean there's no funnel upwards to cull the herd on the indie main event and help it grow further. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What is interesting about this particular moment in wrestling and I'm sure is what is getting in the way of some of these releases, is traditionally if WWE treated someone like a low-level C-program performer, it would be almost impossible for them to redeem themselves. Yet today due to how Vince values talent and a gigantic roster of enormously talented individuals, a lot of cream is no longer rising to the top.

In the past if a lower mid-card guy switches promotions (think Paul Roma or Hercules) you could try shooting them to the top of the card, but it would make the promotion look ridiculous. The rules have changed. So you'll have someone like Luke Harper who can't even get on the main shows who would be near the top of the card in another promotion. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

This WWE put this tweet out earlier after Roman said he would be showing up on RAW this Monday. They really didn't give much thought to this bran split thing as usual.

Roman ain’t moving the needle on Smackdown. It’s honestly not worth trying. 

I have a feeling they might be desperate enough to back the dump truck full of money towards the estate of Mr. & Mrs. Brooks.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

The one thing that'd kill AEW as a threat to TNA? Hiring a load of WWE people who leave and getting the reputation TNA eventually got of "the island of WWE castoffs". 

I believe Cody recently said in an interview there's only about 5% of WWE talent he would want to sign if they became available so AEW doesn't gain the reputation of being a haven for" WWE cast-offs".

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AxB said:

Better at what?

Playing Go. When presented with a board, Okada acknowledged that he plays with an 8-stone handicap. Triple H swallowed the pieces.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So is the plan to have a Roman vs. the establishment/authority/McMahons feud based on that tweet?

And if so, did I take a time machine back to 1998?

Re: HHH vs. Okada, let's all be honest here that Okada/Shibata < HHH/Rikishi on Smackdown!

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

AEW is a going concern and the first time since TNA in the mid-00s when it felt like WWE may have serious competition. 

TNA wasn't viewed as competition to WWE in the beginning at all. WWE was actually in it's own universe at that time. One of the premises of the brand split was to create it's own competition. I really believe WWE put it a more serious effort in creating it's own competition with even the separate writers too. When TNA started up alot of the bigger name talent were recently released WWE talent that were battling issues like Road Dogg , Brian Christopher, and Hall. Other than that you had guys that WWE didn't want when they purchased WCW or WCW talent that didn't want to be waiting in WWE developmental for the rest of their career.

Right now WWE has so much talent on the roster at all levels but I'm sure there are lots of AEW talent WWE would pay big bucks to have employed. I do feel like they were really desperate for anyone when TNA started 

4 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

So is the plan to have a Roman vs. the establishment/authority/McMahons feud based on that tweet?

And if so, did I take a time machine back to 1998?

That'll put butts in the seats!