DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2019 WRESTLING TALK

Tangential to the discussion and the stupid information I live for. A deep breakdown of WWE wrestlers on Cameo

If any of you are spending $500 on Drake Maverick, you can throw $20 our way to make sure we keep the lights on

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The one thing the article doesn't get into as much is that a lot of the wrestlers only started publicly promoting their Cameo profiles in the last couple of months

Like Graves now posts his profile like once a week on Twitter.

12 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Someone go and tell us what kinds of comic books Jericho reads. I bet he has shitty taste. 

It's gonna be all Liefeld. Bloodstrike, Youngblood, Avengelyne...

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

9 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Why would a shareholder NOT want a company to have the best workers in the industry, including hiring the best workers to make sure their competitors in the market have to hire inferior workers who won't give them a chance at catching up to them?

Shareholders only care about the end of the quarter numbers being better so they can make more money on dividends, etc.  They'll demand terrible cost-cutting measures that hurt the long term stability of a company for a few cents more in the next quarter.  This is what is wrong with America/Capitalism.

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, w. josh said:

I see Jericho being into Glenn Danzig's Verotik comics. He probably has all of the KISS comic books as well.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Someone is at the Jericho estate sale

Those are the only two updates but I am also convinced that all those tapes are just Jericho matches

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

54 minutes ago, w. josh said:

I'm thinking Evil Ernie

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Someone is at the Jericho estate sale

Those are the only two updates but I am also convinced that all those tapes are just Jericho matches

I just recently disposed of dozens of those RCA video tapes. Those were my go to for recording and copying shows. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I see Jericho being into Glenn Danzig's Verotik comics. He probably has all of the KISS comic books as well.

Hey, my best bud, Edward Lee used to write "Grub Girl" for Verotik. Quit when Danzig's checks started bouncing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, happjack said:

Do they have any kind of catering at house shows? I always thought the catering at tv tapings was mainly for the production crew that was sort of a perk for the wrestlers those days.

I used to work in catering at a venue that had WWE events on the regular. There were only two WWE house shows that came through in my time, but they only got beverage services. There was a fridge stocked with bottled water and gatorade and a table with a coffee service set up in the gorilla position. Granted this was over 10 years ago and things might have changed since then.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Hey, my best bud, Edward Lee used to write "Grub Girl" for Verotik. Quit when Danzig's checks started bouncing.

Hence the Misfits reunion.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Hence the Misfits reunion.

the Danzig Legacy show I saw was surprisingly good, but in typical Danzig fashion it went off the rails towards the end when he tried to attack a photographer.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Casey said:

the Danzig Legacy show I saw was surprisingly good, but in typical Danzig fashion it went off the rails towards the end when he tried to attack a photographer.

Apparently still has a chip on his shoulder from not getting the Wolverine role.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, nofuture said:

Cameo seems like a good side hustle, get paid $50 for like 20 seconds of work. 

Per that article, E made $8,500 at the time of writing. That's 68 videos at $125, and using an average video time of 1.5 minutes, that's roughly 2 hours of filming time. Generously add an hour for prep time and you're looking at 3 hours of work. Definitely a nice side gig if you're good at it. Someone like E might actually have a lot of fun doing it (based on his birthday video for Bob.) 

The cameo thing reminds me of those ads in WWE magazine back in the day where you could supposedly pay 19.99 or whatever it was to have a wrestler personally call you for your birthday or whatever. I wonder if they just got a bunch of guys to record a birthday message then had some office lackey say the actual person's name.

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

I used to work in catering at a venue that had WWE events on the regular. There were only two WWE house shows that came through in my time, but they only got beverage services. There was a fridge stocked with bottled water and gatorade and a table with a coffee service set up in the gorilla position. Granted this was over 10 years ago and things might have changed since then.

Do you happen to remember who was responsible for filling that fridge with water?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

When my daughter was three, my wife and I splurged for a birthday phone call from "Dora the Explorer" that Nickelodeon would shill on its TV. After we made the order, I received an email from Nickelodeon asking for my daughter's name, what birthday she was celebrating, the available number to call and what time the call should happen.

The day of my daughter's birthday, the phone rang shortly after breakfast. Held the phone to my daughter's ear (to make sure she didn't accidentally hang up), and there's "Dora" wishing her a happy birthday. You could tell my daughter's name and age were added in post-production, as the voices for that didn't match up to "Dora". It was clearly a recording, Dora says something, my daughter says something ... this goes on for a minute or two before Dora says bye. Harmless $20 spent and it made a three-year-old happy. I could imagine the $19,99 deal from the WWE was something similar.

As for Cameo, a friend of mine is a big fan of trivia apps, so I splurged about $25 for a Cameo call from J.D. Witherspoon, who hosts the Facebook Watch trivia game "Confetti". (J.D. is a comic who's also the son of actor/comedian John Witherspoon). The video was a minute or so in length, and it showed J.D. in a dressing room, getting ready for a "Confetti" recording. He thanked my friend for being a fan of the show, talked about birthdays, etc. It was very nice and my friend was quite touched with the surprise.

As you mentioned, this is a great side hustle provided you set up an appropriate price point.  Very smart for these WWE personalities for setting them up.

• Like 1