DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2019 WRESTLING TALK

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

There was a period a few years back where it felt like PWG put a Candace vs Joey match on every show.  And guess what?  They were all pretty good matches, well-worked and laid out logically.  Joey would get the heat being a misogynistic shithead, she'd come back and give him his comeuppance, then there'd be a finish.  Pro Wrestling 101.  A purist's wet dream of match structure if you could get past the "OMG man vs woman is ruining wrestling" shit.  

Honestly, though, that has been one of the weaknesses I've seen with intergender.

Intergender matches are fine, except they have the fatal flaw that there's only really one possible way to script the match: "Plucky young babyface woman who's fighting for respect and girl power!" vs. "evil big mean brute man who doesn't respect her as a wrestler because he's a big, mean, brute man." 

They have a wrestle. Maybe the woman wins, maybe she loses- but what's more important: She won this wrestler's RESPECT.

Then she does it again next show.

And again the next show.

And again the next show.

And maybe she has to fight the same wrestler again a few shows later because apparently earning someone's respect is temporary in the sport. The issue isn't that intergender isn't a perfectly natural match style to do in pro wrestling- but that they need to find a way to develop how women can be the heel in the match, without making the match inherently icky for obvious reasons.

It's worse with national matches, when Matt Striker basically destroyed it in Lucha Underground with the way Sexy Star was built as: (Sexy Star on offense) "Sexy Star is fighting back and striking a blow for women everywhere, showing you can do anything you set your mind to!" (Sexy Star on defense) "HOW COULD YOU? How could you hurt this innocent little flower? She's only a defenseless woman! She'd never be able to fight back against you, you big mean brute man!"

• Like 4

BTW, regarding Daniel Bryan, he's back and is ready for TV again according to Dave. Dave keeps alluding to an injury by mentioning that DB was medically cleared, but I haven't even seen anyone else say with anything close to 100% certainty that he was being held off TV for medical reasons.

I still think it's just as likely if not more likely that he was taking a month long break after WM because he's been on the go ever since the last WM. Either that, or it looked like he tweaked some part of his leg in the match with Kofi.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

BTW, regarding Daniel Bryan, he's back and is ready for TV again according to Dave. Dave keeps alluding to an injury by mentioning that DB was medically cleared, but I haven't even seen anyone else say with anything close to 100% certainty that he was being held off TV for medical reasons.

I still think it's just as likely if not more likely that he was taking a month long break after WM because he's been on the go ever since the last WM. Either that, or it looked like he tweaked some part of his leg in the match with Kofi.

I was going to ask for any Daniel Bryan updates. Thank you.

It's much like with any other story be it with wrestling or anything else.  A lot of times you only get so much of the full picture and it's easy to jump to conclusions.  I don't blame Victator for being all "Fuck that guy" as from what he's seen it's not something to his liking.  But if one is so inclined there's more to him or whatever story is going around and it might be worth checking out.  For example he's been on various podcasts and at least for the ones I listen to he comes across as a pretty awesome guy who admits to being very shy.  Or if you check out that Technico mentioned in PWG I haven't seen it but that sounds like it is worth looking into (though Sorceress's post has valid points to it.)  Either way there's reasons why people will like or hate him and it's best to just go all "Well, that's just your opinion, man" /Big Lebowski

As for Lio that article is just more evidence that he's not for WWE.  It's not that he's a bad guy but given where he's been he's just not gonna put up with that.  But the money part isn't new to me so I don't see how that would shut the thread down.

• Like 1

Lio's probably gone just for giving the damn interview, nevermind what he actually said about walking around broke. He did make a great point about the issue on the European tour, and while it definitely isn't my place to say if he's right or wrong, it's for sure made me think about it in a different way than I did yesterday.

Or, maybe, MAYBE, you don't HAVE to check out any of that. Maybe you could just say, "I don't like what I've seen, but that's limited to a YouTube clip or a gif and that's enough to make me not interested in seeing any more of him." No one can argue with that. No one. The most you could say to that is, well, you may find that you're missing out, but if that's not your thing, then fine.

Instead it becomes Joey Ryan is a child molester or he's disgusting or he's this or that or the other thing, which is what invites people coming to Ryan's defense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Lio's probably gone just for giving the damn interview, nevermind what he actually said about walking around broke. He did make a great point about the issue on the European tour, and while it definitely isn't my place to say if he's right or wrong, it's for sure made me think about it in a different way than I did yesterday.

I thought about this too. WWE typically only allows you to give interviews when approved. Like, Jericho can't get interviews with anyone from the active roster anymore because he's been blocked when it comes to interviews. So with Lio not following protocol and avoiding the chain of command, do they just permanently keep him grounded until his contract runs out, or is there some sort of clause in the contract that forces WWE to terminate the deal?

This again gets back into why sign a WWE contract when it's that restrictive to where they can hire you, tempt you with dangling the carrot of making more than your downside guarantee, and then force you to stay at home and make nothing but your downside guarantee or worse, force you to still travel while making no more than your downside.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Good.  Let him murder Ali, and take his spot in the MitB match. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I laugh, but that's the makings of a hell of a story for a heel turn even if Ali is a great babyface. Gets hurt and loses his spot in the EC and winds up watching Kofi become WWE champion. Loses his spot in the MitB match to DB. Loses his spot in other big opportunities.

Finally snaps and destroys someone like Kofi or something.

55 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I laugh, but that's the makings of a hell of a story for a heel turn even if Ali is a great babyface. Gets hurt and loses his spot in the EC and winds up watching Kofi become WWE champion. Loses his spot in the MitB match to DB. Loses his spot in other big opportunities.

Finally snaps and destroys someone like Kofi or something.

tenor.gif?itemid=4956667

Rush raises some good points. He's probably also mega fucked for going outside with them. 

I also love that he's all about spreading positivity, yet drags his workplace for having a culture problem and throws shade at an unnamed coworker. 

Speaking of which, who is that unnamed person he was in ROH with? My brain immediately jumped to one of the Undisputed Era guys for some reason, but that doesn't feel right. NXT guys probably aren't throwing main roster gossip out into the world. 

Going through some show results to remind myself who else he shared a locker room with... Dijakovic. Viking Raiders. Keith Lee. Punishment Martinez, I'm probably missing some more. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

I saw this posted from The Observer. This might be one of the most "Vince" things ever.

Wrestling Observer Newsletter has provided more insight to the whole Luke Harper situation. And warning, if you dont feel like getting frustrated this early in the morning, I'd avoid this:

Luke Harpers reasoning for wanting to get out is that there was originally supposed to be a story between he and Sami Zayn that was to start on the RAW after Mania, but it got scrapped on that RAW and Harper went home as he was told he wasnt going to be needed on tv. Harper was also told that Vince decided not to use him after seeing his return as well stating that Vince didnt "get him" and that Harper couldnt even do a Southern accent.

Harper had supposedly been pitching ideas during his injurt, but every one of them were shot down and rejected. Harper was called back to face EC3 with Drave Maverick as WWE wanted to test out the EC3/Maverick pairing and in the end, Vince didnt enjoy the manager spots, so the duo was ditched. On the Shakeup day, when Vince was asked what brand Harper should be on, Vince apparently responded that Harper cant even do a Southern Accent and that his match with EC3 wasnt that good and that Luke Harper would remain brandless, and that is when Harper asked for his release.

Harper is from upstate New York. Vince does know truck drivers aren't just from the south, right?

6 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4956667

Rush raises some good points. He's probably also mega fucked for going outside with them. 

I also love that he's all about spreading positivity, yet drags his workplace for having a culture problem and throws shade at an unnamed coworker. 

Speaking of which, who is that unnamed person he was in ROH with? My brain immediately jumped to one of the Undisputed Era guys for some reason, but that doesn't feel right. NXT guys probably aren't throwing main roster gossip out into the world. 

Going through some show results to remind myself who else he shared a locker room with... Dijakovic. Viking Raiders. Keith Lee. Punishment Martinez, I'm probably missing some more. 

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

I was going to say maybe it's Adam Pearce, but they're separated by 5 years as far as their ROH tenures go. Can't be Seth either. 

Sami perhaps?

Lio and Sami were separated by 3 years, but Sami is a really good guess. Maybe it's just another random employee? Not going back to look at his comments now, but I thought Lio just said it was an employee so that could be anybody. Doesn't have to be a wrestler.

3 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

I saw this posted from The Observer. This might be one of the most "Vince" things ever.

Harper is from upstate New York. Vince does know truck drivers aren't just from the south, right?

Probably not. This is the same guy that doesn't know what he's been eating for years is a burrito.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Steve Corino would be my guess.

Going through some different Wiki pages and his named jumped at me too. 

Styles and Rush probably would have had limited contact. The first ROH taping Rush worked a dark match at was the night after Styles finished up at Final Battle.

Sami's a hard no. There's stories of him openly shitting on guys, but he doesn't fit the story about being in ROH when Rush was. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

Lio should be paid his share in royalties, and making Lashley actually watchable deserves all of the pay rises. But WWE is WWE, he hadn't been on the main roster a year and was in a managerial role similar to Spud for the most part. If he shut the fuck up and paid his dues and played the game like everyone else, he would have gotten that MF bag eventually. Toxic working environment withstanding, toxic behavior only makes things more toxic. Throwing one of your co-workers under the bus is a dumb move. Playing identity politics is cute however, we'll see how that one plays out.

Ali is a perfect example of someone who represents himself in the best possible way and it's paid off ridiculously well for him. Go figure.

Edited by Rick
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Sounds like Mark Henry went on Busted Open Radio and very strongly pulled the veteran card on Rush. 

Because if Busted Open Radio is anything, it's TOTALLY not biased toward WWE....

22 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

I'm going to assume Harper's now just going to be a good soldier, show up when required and ride out his contract at this point. He's going to get money elsewhere, sadly he just has to bid his time until he's free and Vince and co. aren't going to do anything good with him in the meantime.