DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2019 WRESTLING TALK

You mean this stuff isn't real????

There are hash marks shown in the video as Moxley is breaking out of prison. The portion that is lit adds up to 25, which could be a teaser for Double Or Nothing. Double Or Nothing takes place on Saturday, May 25 from Las Vegas.

There are dice shown in the video and that has been the main symbol in promotional material for Starrcast in Las Vegas, which also takes place on May 25 (the event runs from May 23 – 26). The numbers on the dice shown are 2 and 5.

It’s believed that Moxley would be able to appear at Double Or Nothing as he is not under a non-compete clause from WWE because those usually apply to releases. His contract expired.

Fans on social media have also pointed to how Ambrose is being chased by a “big dog” after breaking out of prison. Could this be a reference to Roman Reigns? Ambrose is apparently shown walking through West Hollywood, California in the video as the logo for a bar called The Viper Room can be seen.

In another note on the speculation, AEW Executive Vice President Cody Rhodes has “liked” the Moxley promo on Twitter.

12 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I love people thinking that AEW made a video for a guy under WWE Contract to release right after his contract expires as if Vince wouldn't unleash McDivitt on them were that the case.

Well, they are using a Candace doll to hype up a Joey Ryan angle and basically advertised Omega and now Marty are coming in so they seem pretty bold to that stuff.  

These things can generally fall under "plausible deniability." Can it be proved AEW paid for it or that they paid for it BEFORE his contract was up? I doubt Cody was running a boom mic on that. 

Contract tampering is a funny thing these days because OF COURSE it goes on. Look at the NBA. 

I think at this point it would be shocking if he didn't show up in Vegas.

The whole dog and "Viper Room" references are just stupid.  I mean do people really think that Roman Reigns and Randy Orton is going to leave the WWE for some indie promotion.   Even the most gullible Bullet Club fan isn't that much of a conspiracy theorist

The 2 and 5 on the dice I can see being relevant though

I just feel bad for the folks that are in the mystery Guerrilla Warfare match at the next PWG Mystery Vortex show. There are a few folks on SoCal Wrestling Twitter that are working themselves into thinking the Hollywood imagery means it's going to be Jon Moxley vs Joey Janela in the Guerrilla Warfare match and you know those folks will be chanting for Moxley when he doesnt show up.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

i always liked the Highlanders. Wish they would've stayed around longer or had a bigger role.

They were fucked once one of the guys was shown in the audience of a TNA TV show.

• Like 2

Didn't know there was some mystery Guerilla Warfare match at PWG.   That Twitter rabbit hole of "well the Viper Room is in LA and PWG runs their next show in LA sooo".   Yeah sure ?

If they get Super Dragon instead of Moxley nobody is going to bitch about it.  Hell it will blow the roof off the place

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rick said:

Were The Heartthrobs also known as The Dicks? The mid to late noughties era was something else.

No, Tank Toland was one of the Dicks. He went on to be highly entertaining in ROH as the "All Natural Superior Athlete" and part of Sweet 'N Sour, Inc. as he tried to whip Bobby Dempsey into shape.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

Best thing is how desperate AEW fans are to prove he'll be at Double or Nothing by going full on pro-wrestling Alex Jones and how desperate WWE fans are in the opposite direction trying to prove it was all a work on social media.

YOU CENTRIST!

• Haha 4

23 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Sooo...the WWE Champions game has a new tour this week, featuring....

Dean Ambrose lol.

In a gas mask

• Haha 1

Well from a selfish perspective I’m so glad it’s not a cm punk burnout situation and seems to be more creative constraints that made Ambrose leave. Early FCW/WWE Ambrose was compelling and it’s exciting to think about what he’s been frustratedly cooking up for the past few months. AEW would be huge, but anywhere he ends up wrestling will bring the intrigue and the buzz.

I did sympathise with the view that, when he got really sick in hospital, he just thought ‘fuck this it’s not worth it’ and was going to retire with his millions and loving wife, but again selfishly I’m glad it’s not the case.

Not sure if the barb wire etc is indicating he’ll be doing a lot of extreme hardcore stuff again or if it’s simply ‘on brand’ for Moxley.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Whatever happened to those guys? I feel like I remember one of them wrestling for the NWA title before Billy Corgan bought it, but whichever guy it was had a ton of new tattoos and lost a bunch of weight. I think it was the guy who was the older of the two that was rumored to be dating Pat Patterson for a while, but not 100% sure.

Not a knock on the guys, because who knows how'd they be now with more experience, but man if you think Raw is bad now, you've obviously forgotten about the La Resistance vs Cade/Murdoch "classics' every damn week. You know shits rough when we're all clamoring for a Cryme Tyme push.

Rene Dupree was the younger one (I believe he was the youngest ever WWE title holder until first Tyler Bate, then Nicholas, stole his thunder) who grew out his hair, got some tattoos, got ripped and went to wrestle in Japan. I don't know if he's still wrestling in Japan, but he's definitely still doing the rounds - I saw him last year wrestling Bram in a Mansfield working men's club. 

Sylvan Grenier was the one who reportedly got hired due to his friendship with Pat Patterson, I don't think he was as active post WWE, though he did work Ring of Honor, which raised eyebrows at the time as he wasn't very good. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Custos said:

Not sure if the barb wire etc is indicating he’ll be doing a lot of extreme hardcore stuff again or if it’s simply ‘on brand’ for Moxley.

Hmmm...Either he'll be taking the rebound lariat out of his moveset, or he's desperate to hit one in a no-rope barbed wire match. No middle ground.

From the Ambrose video, what every English major can recognize:

Line: "The drapes were blue."

English professor: "As you can see, the drapes were blue. This is clearly the author making a statement about the protagonist's internal pain and showing how deeply depressed he was, showing the misery that is inherent in the character, and indeed all the people around them...while giving a calming nature to say that maybe there's a chance their love interest could soothe their tortured soul..."

The author: "...I like the color blue."

The person who made this joke never saw how pro wrestling fans can act about a remotely mysterious video or storyline. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

Rene Dupree was the younger one (I believe he was the youngest ever WWE title holder until first Tyler Bate, then Nicholas, stole his thunder) who grew out his hair, got some tattoos, got ripped and went to wrestle in Japan. I don't know if he's still wrestling in Japan, but he's definitely still doing the rounds - I saw him last year wrestling Bram in a Mansfield working men's club. 

Sylvan Grenier was the one who reportedly got hired due to his friendship with Pat Patterson, I don't think he was as active post WWE, though he did work Ring of Honor, which raised eyebrows at the time as he wasn't very good. 

That was during the Adam Pearce era of ROH, which quite frankly, fucking sucked.

11 hours ago, Craig H said:

Alternative name: Blood in the Sand (which may have been the name of a 50 Cent video game...)

I said call it Arabian Fights. 

8 hours ago, hammerva said:

I hate to agree with Jim Cornette on current wrestling but it does seem like bringing in Joey Ryan is done just to fuck with him and/or AEW and not because they actually think he has some use in the company

Listening to the show and he is looking at it from a practical point. Ryan is worthless and can only bring the value down. You do gotta credit him for being a clever pervert. He has a spot where he gets hot young women to grab his dick. That it has become a moderate indy draw is bewildering. Even if it was funny once (debatable), where is the value the 300th time. Before Ryan gave up, he was a decent wrestler. Without the dumb shit, he could be a good opening match guy. 

3 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Everyone know Ambrose/Moxley hates Roman and running away from the Doberman represents that hatred.

I didn't know that.  This is honestly the first time I've ever seen it mentioned.

4 hours ago, Robert s said:

They were fucked once one of the guys was shown in the audience of a TNA TV show.

Yeah, I put the blame partially on TNA for that.  At the time, it was all over these online news places that WWE issued an edict that any talent going to the TNA show (apparently they were both doing shows in the same town) would be punished.  And Highlander #2 went to visit some friends, and fucking TNA showed him on camera, announcers called him out and everything.  Gone afterwards.  And if I recall, he was even trying to shield his face from any cameras when he was shown.

Wouldn’t wrestling etiquette be something like “if you go to a show to visit, stay behind the curtain.”

i do wonder if wwe policy is regarding backstage visitors, possibly depending on if you are an alum of the show or a star with another company (one that does not have heat at the time). 

Currently, would John Morrison be allowed to visit? Cody prob not.

With Vince you prob never know one day to the next. 

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Wouldn’t wrestling etiquette be something like “if you go to a show to visit, stay behind the curtain.”

i do wonder if wwe policy is regarding backstage visitors, possibly depending on if you are an alum of the show or a star with another company (one that does not have heat at the time). 

Currently, would John Morrison be allowed to visit? Cody prob not.

With Vince you prob never know one day to the next. 

Apparently, Chavo Guerrero and Shannon Moore were at the same TNA show as the Highlander, but they stayed behind the curtain.

It's likely the same as WWE, since Colt Cabana was allowed backstage while he was allied with CM Punk in the lawsuit. 

Ultimately, I think for WWE policy, they'd let virtually any standout wrestler backstage, since ultimately: Pro wrestling's nature is such that it's virtually impossible to make it to any level of acclaim in the pro wrestling industry without being friends with AT LEAST a few people who are also at a high level in the pro wrestling industry.