DVDVR Message Board

PROGRESS: WWE's UK Pals

RIPPA

Yeah, very curious about the Starr vs Walter match. 

Logical booking says that Starr goes over after this huge chase. Of course, we all know the reasons why that's not likely to happen. Also, Starr may not even want the win. Like with Dreamer/Raven, the money is in the chase and them working this story across so many companies for years makes you wonder if Starr wants to blow that off. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I suppose we have something of an answer to that now.

Eddie Dennis getting the belt is fine and dandy to a point, and him losing it to a non WWE guy is slightly more feasible. But only slightly. 

I think it's a slightly naughty bait and switch, but I guess fans didn't mind.

Shucks, it is what it is innit?

• 2 months later...

The two matches between Ilja Dragunov and Cara Noir are well worth checking out. Fantastic stuff.

Just watched the 3rd match with a 2/3 falls stip from Chapter 99. It was good and ambitious in trying to amp up the eroticism, imagery and artistry to match the brutality, but didn't quite stick the landing. Still highly recommend the series of matches.

Edited by quackhell

• 2 months later...

Walter couldn't hold it forever, but they had Eddie Dennis beat him (in a 3 way with Dave Starr). Then Dennis defended it once and got injured, so they had to give the fans something. And Cara Noir has had a dramatic rise in the last 12 months. With a lot of the NXT UK guys now becoming harder to get dates on, moving the belts onto freelancers makes sense for European indies.

• Like 1

• RIPPA pinned and unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Not going to move a closed topic here but worth noting that they have new management - not clear whether the company is being bought out by them though.

At management level, they won't be linked to WWE UK so explicitly. But owners remain Jon Briley, Jim Smallman, and Glen Joseph.

But I think they will need to change actual ownership to have a chance of surviving. Of course, ROH got past Feinstein (though as Bob Barnett loved to point out, Feinstein didn't actually stop being part of ROH for quite a while after his exposure)...but at the time it felt like ROH was still getting going and there was a will to keep it going. Progress....already felt like it had peaked.

Guess we'll see.

• 3 months later...

WWE Network has been adding nice amounts of PROGRESS stuff into the independents-section. Since I don't know where to start, I've been watching best of NXT in PROGRESS and best of Walter in Progress (damn all those caps) and they seem pretty damn impressive! I'm having trouble keeping up with all the stuff I should be watching with Netflix, reading, working out and work (in that particular order, I guess) cutting into my wrestling-time. But it seems when I get around to it, this is stuff definitely worth getting into.

• 3 months later...