DVDVR Message Board

2019 NBA Playoffs: QUARTERFINALS

Contentious C

I thought Toronto/Philly game 1 was interesting. Kawhi making the toughest shots all game. He worked Jimmy Butler to the point where I've completely flipped on who I think should guard him. Simmons played really well defensively when matched up with Kawhi. I do anticipate that will be the match up going forward.

Embiid did not play well, but I thought the defense from the Sixers starters wasn't bad at all.  It really shows how thin Philly is when Mike Scott missing games means playoff minutes from Furkan Korkmaz.

I really think both series out East will go long.  How bad are those Celts are better without Kyrie takes looking right now?

18 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

First you guys run off Hinkie and now it's going to be Brown if you don't win a championship? I want to dig this Philly team but fuck that.

It funny to do the whole "Trust The Process" jokes but what people don't realize is that between Hinkie and Colangelo the team had like 10 top 5 picks in that span and hit on exactly 2 of them (Simmons, Embiid). If they had even gone .500 with their picks there's no telling just how good they'd be.  

"We have secret math that says we actually won the title last year" is the most Rockets-ass thing imaginable.  I respect Daryl Morey a whole lot but also he really needs to get stuffed in a locker on the regular.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

If this was a wrestling storyline, the Rockets would win tonight's game, fully turn heel after embracing their crybaby persona, and Foster would be revealed as their "13th man" in cahoots.

But it's not a wrestling storyline...no, no...so don't bet all the money on a Rockets' win tonight...

Edited by _MJ_

2 hours ago, _MJ_ said:

If this was a wrestling storyline, the Rockets would win tonight's game, fully turn heel after embracing their crybaby persona, and Foster would be revealed as their "13th man" in cahoots.

But it's not a wrestling storyline...no, no...so don't bet all the money on a Rockets' won tonight...oh  

Kevin Durant's gonna turn heel, hit all the Warriors with a steel chair, then spray paint Harden's PER on Draymond's back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great adjustments by Brett Brown in game 2.  As I expected he switched to Butler on Lowry and Simmons on Kawhi and it worked much better and allowed Jimmy to spend more energy on the offensive end.

I absolutely did NOT see the Embiid on Siakim and Harris on Gasol switch coming and that worked out really well.  Gasol would clearly much rather be a distributor and Brett knew it.  Great job there.

18 hours ago, Oyaji said:

First you guys run off Hinkie and now it's going to be Brown if you don't win a championship? I want to dig this Philly team but fuck that.

Brown really struggles with in-game adjustments to the point where he clearly deserves some grief after bad losses.  For example it was obvious about 8 minutes into game 1 that Boban had no place in this series, but Brett really likes to stick with his initial gameplan.  As I mentioned earlier he definitely made some great adjustments between games.

18 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Kyle Lowry, eternal playoff jabroni. Helluva almost comeback tho.

I dunno man I thought Kyle was very clearly the second best Raptor yesterday.  A couple big threes late and he was directly and indirectly involved with a whole bunch of those Philly turnovers.  

Siakim looked ok for stretches, but Philly isn’t respecting his shot outside of the corner 3.  You could tell he was trying to force a few things here and there.  Driving 1 on 1 against Embiid might work every now and again, but that’s a situation Philly surely loves.

Green had an off night, but I’m sure he will bounce back. Gasol has to be more aggressive offensively.

Edited by Jrag

Also, Adam Silver ran off Hinkie. In hindsight the league really really fucked the Sixers over.  Forced poppa Colangelo on em which paved the way for Big Collars and the absolutely worst draft night trade in league history.

• Like 2

Hinkie was seen as a gimmick and a joke by most Sixers fans even though he was doing a cold, calculated rebuild to an extent nobody had tried. It wasn't until after that he was turned into a martyr. 

I don't give a shit what Lowry did prior to that attempted nutmeg at the end of the game. Dude should be shot out of a cannon for trying that shit. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Am I the only one (besides the obvious one) who loves that Daryl Morey audit stuff?  A clear attempt to swing the calls in game 2, yes, but massive points for originality.

Hard to really take a side on the actual officiating in my book. Klay got away with way too much on those close outs, but I understand not wanting to give Harden the benifit of the doubt.

Chris Paul and Draymond Green should literally be ejected every game.  Can’t believe how much those guys are allowed to go at the refs.  Draymond is clearly the worst, but CP3 has been doing that shit for so long it’s no wonder he has some refs out to get him.

Scott Foster is trash tho...

Edited by Jrag

This is some wonderful basketball we're being treated to this round. Tremendous offense from both teams in this game and the other series have been tight. It's almost like the first round doesn't matter 90% of the time in the NBA.