DVDVR Message Board

SDL is Rusev's Suit- 4/23/2019

Dolfan in NYC

To be fair - and what I totally forgot - was that 2016 was a SDL branded PPV so only SDL could win it

That being said - I can't imagine them going "Let's give RAW 4 wins in a row" (unless they are revisiting the dropped angle from Survivor Series)

One thing I forgot to mention... I did like Bayley's promo when she said "You've never beat me" to Becky.   Becky...  WHOMST whipped her ass regularly and often with great authority in NXT. 

I did have a chuckle over that. 

I don't want to get too deep into the Sasha issues, but her coming back full heel after Becky seems like the only viable option on RAW or than Alexa. I feel like Becky almost has to land on RAW at the end of the 2 Belts run just for the sake of balance.

• Like 2

That was a rough promo. Why use 500 words when 50 will do?

"You see me with my tattoos (scars) and hear my name, and you think you know who and what I am. You don't. But instead of telling you, I'll show you. SmackDown Live and the WWE Universe are on notice: you will all fade to black." END SCENE.

Calling yourself a tragic caricature sounds like a self-burial.

Edited by Burgundy LaRue
  • Like 1

Side note that is related to SDL

Jeff Hardy hurt his knee... well more than it was already hurt

Jeff Hardy was injured on the 4/20 show in Madison WI. We’re not sure the severity but it appeared at the show to be a right knee injury. He’s had the bad right knee since his 2015 dirt bike accident, and has been working with a torn PCL the past four years. He was at the show the next night in Rochester, MN, but didn’t wrestle and was limping going to the ring seconding Matt. He didn’t appear before the fans in either Sioux City the next night or at TV in Lincoln. We haven’t gotten any official word of the nature or severity of the injury, past that within WWE the belief among the people who need to know for storyline reasons is that he is scheduled for surgery this coming week after Smackdown, which is probably why the injury itself is being kept secret. Those close to him just said that he’s injured, hopefully not terribly bad and time will tell but right now he’s playing things safe. So don’t know if he’s going to work next week and do an injury angle and/or title loss, or how this will be handled storyline wise. We also don’t know the nature of the surgery, whether major or minor

RE: KO from the new WON

Kevin Owens, who was originally to be the No. 2 face on Smackdown behind Reigns, was turned heel, a combination of the rise of Kofi Kingston and the injury to Daniel Bryan.

Owens turned on Kingston on the 4/23 Smackdown episode in Lincoln, NE, and is scheduled to face him on the next PPV, Money in the Bank, on 5/19 in Hartford, CT.

The original plan for Owens was to be a guy next door babyface, who ate junk food, had the same problems everyone else had, had kids, but could kick ass and was given the ultimate modern WWE babyface finisher, the stone cold stunner (which at one point they were testing Becky Lynch out with at house shows).

Bryan was set to get a rematch with Kingston at Money in the Bank, but with him out of action, they needed a new opponent. The choices were Randy Orton, Rowan (who is lacking the charisma on his own to be top heel), or bringing over Drew McIntyre, Baron Corbin or Samoa Joe for Raw, who all had things figured in. A few days after Mania, the decision was made to turn Owens and put him in that spot, with the tease at first of him joining The New Day, after Big E’s knee went out and he needed surgery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

RE: KO from the new WON

Cheers. I'd prefer Kevin Owens as that babyface and either use someone on Smackdown Live or bring over somebody from RAW to face Kofi Kingston instead of what's transpired.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 1:49 AM, The Natural said:

I brought that up in the MITB thread earlier as the best opportunity for the winner of the women's contract with Becky wrestling twice.

I’m half expecting Becky to win a long, tough match against Charlotte, then just barely come up short against Lacey, then lose the Smackdown title to the MITB winner... Charlotte (who inserts herself into the match Becky style after Bayley is found injured in the back).

Edited by JonnyLaw
  • Like 2

I think I would've plugged Rowan into the month long program with Bryan as his mouthpiece (stick Bryan in a fake neckbrace or leg cast to explain why he's not challenging) Sure, nobody would buy that Rowan has a chance, but that's fine as the fans don't want Kofi to lose anyway and it buys him another month as champ. With Owens in there, it's probable that Kofi's time is up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Swiftian said:

I think I would've plugged Rowan into the month long program with Bryan as his mouthpiece (stick Bryan in a fake neckbrace or leg cast to explain why he's not challenging) Sure, nobody would buy that Rowan has a chance, but that's fine as the fans don't want Kofi to lose anyway and it buys him another month as champ. With Owens in there, it's probable that Kofi's time is up.

Sounds great and much preferable. Would've had a real oldschool vibe to it, Bryan cutting promos like that would be highly entertaining, and would've better kept up Kofi's momentum.

On 4/23/2019 at 7:48 PM, Eivion said:

Kind of torn on the IIconics. I like that they are champs, but they are not as good as anyone they keep losing to so I'm also kind of fine with them looking like chumps so many times.

I want the IIconics to be like Honky Tonk Man at this point - super annoying, chicken-shit heels who are *just* good enough to defend themselves but really have no business winning every match but keeping doing so until the fans blow the roof off for whoever beats them. What women's tag team can be Warrior?

I don't know, Lacey Evans holding the title right now would be like Baron Corbin holding the WWE title.  It's interesting to me how women's wrestling is still viewed so differently sometimes. A female can have a 'decent character' and sure throw the title on her but everyone would go nuts if Baron squashed Daniel Bryan or AJ Styles

I don't think Lacey is near ready to hold a title but I'm looking at it from the standpoint of wanting to see good matches. 

53 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't know, Lacey Evans holding the title right now would be like Baron Corbin holding the WWE title.  It's interesting to me how women's wrestling is still viewed so differently sometimes. A female can have a 'decent character' and sure throw the title on her but everyone would go nuts if Baron squashed Daniel Bryan or AJ Styles

I don't think Lacey is near ready to hold a title but I'm looking at it from the standpoint of wanting to see good matches. 

I’d take her over another Alexa reign.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

To be fair though, Lacey beating Becky through interference, or because Becky already had a grueling match isn't the same as Baron Corbin squashing Daniel Bryan. Also, Baron Corbin doesn't have a 'decent character', so he's not really the right male equivalent anyway. I guess the best equivalent would be something like if EC3 was number one contender to Kofi. Bad wrestler/good character, fresh call-up from NXT, new match-up. I don't really know how people would react to that. My instinct tells me they'd be a little kinder to EC3 than some people have been to Lacey.

I'm saying this as someone who is fine with Lacey getting the shot, is more concerned by Charlotte getting another match with Becky, and still wants Becky to come out of MITB as Becky 2 Belts (unless Sasha wins the briefcase and cashes in, cementing her heel turn).