DVDVR Message Board

AVENGERS ENDGAME SPOILERS

Casey

When really, if he'd asked them a few questions before attacking, he'd have found out that the Goddess of Death recently invaded Asgard, killed a lot of people (and then they unleashed Surtur to stop her and he destroyed the planet), and the refugee ship held the surviving small percentage of the previous population. So Thanos' 50% cull had basically already happened anyway.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AxB said:

When really, if he'd asked them a few questions before attacking, he'd have found out that the Goddess of Death recently invaded Asgard, killed a lot of people (and then they unleashed Surtur to stop her and he destroyed the planet), and the refugee ship held the surviving small percentage of the previous population. So Thanos' 50% cull had basically already happened anyway.

Well, there's also the deal with Thanos looking for the Space Stone that Loki had and that overrode his culls (see, Knowhere, which looked a damn sight more than 50% wrecked)

Knowhere is just an outpost, though - not a planet/civilization that he'd have to follow the rules of his own purge. It's just a collection of drifters and pirates and shit from a multitude of planets.

45 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Going by Thanos' penchant for only destroying half a population, he let half go.  I mean, they only destroyed half of the Ark.  It's possible That when the attack happened, Thor had Valkyrie and Korg take as many as they could and try to escape while he had most of the warriors with him to buy time.

Good point.  I actually Googled it later and saw that 1) the Russos stated that the Asgardians used escape ships and 2) in the footage, you can see exactly half the ship drifting away.  I think point 2 makes better sense from a narrative perspective, like Thanos had no way of knowing if 50% were on that part of the ship but he hoped for the best.

It does seem that before he got the stones and was just going planet to planet, he wasn't being super precise about the numbers. More of a "Yeah, that looks about half. FIRE!" approach. If he'd gone after earth at that time, there's every chance that rather than round up the entire population of the planet, he'd have done a survey of population density and then just killed everything in Europe and South America (for example) while leaving the other continents alone.

20 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I'm fine with that explanation, just dumbfounded by such a glaring thing being left explained by post-film interviews and fan theory.  I'm glad I didn't overlook some obvious onscreen explanation.

I honestly never even gave it too much thought until people were pointing it out online and stuff. I thought it was one of those things you kind of just theorize in your head and it's not a big deal. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Deleted scene from Avengers: Endgame (2019). More though brief Spider-Man/Doctor Strange is good...but I'm glad this went. Also for the lame "joke" about how Mantis looks which started back in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2018). Seeing the dusted characters emerge through the portals was more satisfying. 

Yeah it’s from Infinity War. The bit where Strange tells Spidey to save them because they aren’t dead yet or whatever was one of the first things leaked to Reddit back in late 2017. Everyone thought it was fake because it was a cellphone picture of a CGI computer suite with this scene on it (and it was blurry as shit too).

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Fancied watching the final battle today. Still fucking holds up:

Iron Man/Captain America/Thor vs. Thanos as Thanos holds his own versus the three.

Captain America worthy to wield Mjolnir. We've all waited for that moment. Loved that.

Cap's the last line of defense vs Thanos and his army that arrives. 

The restored emerge from the portals with those who survived Thanos' Decimation. Avengers... Assemble! Well worth saving till now. 

Various callbacks: "On your left", Spider-Man/Iron Man hug it out and of course, "I am Iron Man" as Tony Stark utilises the Infinity Stones in the Gauntlet to be rid of Thanos and his army. 

What a villain Thanos was, a true Big Bad who won in a comic book movie. Only other villain you can say that about is the Joker in The Dark Knight (2008).

I like how Thanos resigned to his fate after the Snap just sits there waiting to be dusted. 

Tony Stark sacrifices his life and dies. Fitting as the MCU started with Iron Man and this chapter of the MCU ends. I usually fast forward his death scene finding it too sad.

The funeral service is moving with Tony Stark's posthumous eulogy, Proof Tony Stark Has A Heart arc reactor wreath and those paying tribute including characters who had issues with Stark, Hank Pym/Thunderbolt Ross/Nick Fury are rightly there.

This film culminated an unprecedented 22 film story. Kudos to what Marvel Studios, Kevin Feige, the Russo Brothers and Christopher Markus/Stephen McFreely achieved here though I had a few issues with the film.

I'd definitely take Avengers Assemble (2012), Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014), Captain America: Civil War (2016), Avengers: Infinity War (2018) and Iron Man (2008) in that order over this. 6th place out of 23 is still some going. This was an event in cinema and popular culture history.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

You've missed quite a few callbacks beyond that. A few that stand out off the top of my head:

• Clint tries to introduces himself to T'Challa in Civil War, only to be rebuked and told that his foe doesn't care who he is; T'Challa refers to Clint by name in the big battle here
  • In Ant-Man & The Wasp, Hope scoffs at Scott saying he refers to Captain America as "Cap;" Hope calls Steve by that name in the final battle of Endgame
  • Spider-Man finally initiates Instant Kill mode in a callback to Homecoming

I'm sure there are plenty more. Those stick out to me.

• Like 2

I was watching Endgame for the first time a couple of days ago. The funeral scene at the end makes you realize the amount of acting talent that was involved with the Marvel Cinematic Universe over the years. There were something like 20 actors that either have won an Academy Award or were at least nominated for one in Endgame alone. If you look at the other movies, you'll get another 20 or so actors with an Oscar or a nomination.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robert s said:

I was watching Endgame for the first time a couple of days ago. The funeral scene at the end makes you realize the amount of acting talent that was involved with the Marvel Cinematic Universe over the years. There were something like 20 actors that either have won an Academy Award or were at least nominated for one in Endgame alone. If you look at the other movies, you'll get another 20 or so actors with an Oscar or a nomination.

Like Academy Award winner Jim Rash.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

This is the all Avengers: Endgame spoiler thread so belongs here. I didn't want to post in the other Marvel Cinematic Universe thread for the few if any who haven't seen it yet.

tenor.gif

What a moment this was. I have the Funko POP of Captain America wielding Mjolnir. Ryan Meindering, Head of Visual Development at Marvel Studios is an unsung hero of the MCU. Ryan's done great work and he's been there since the start with Iron Man (2008).

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...