DVDVR Message Board

When really, if he'd asked them a few questions before attacking, he'd have found out that the Goddess of Death recently invaded Asgard, killed a lot of people (and then they unleashed Surtur to stop her and he destroyed the planet), and the refugee ship held the surviving small percentage of the previous population. So Thanos' 50% cull had basically already happened anyway.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AxB said:

When really, if he'd asked them a few questions before attacking, he'd have found out that the Goddess of Death recently invaded Asgard, killed a lot of people (and then they unleashed Surtur to stop her and he destroyed the planet), and the refugee ship held the surviving small percentage of the previous population. So Thanos' 50% cull had basically already happened anyway.

Well, there's also the deal with Thanos looking for the Space Stone that Loki had and that overrode his culls (see, Knowhere, which looked a damn sight more than 50% wrecked)

Knowhere is just an outpost, though - not a planet/civilization that he'd have to follow the rules of his own purge. It's just a collection of drifters and pirates and shit from a multitude of planets.

45 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Going by Thanos' penchant for only destroying half a population, he let half go.  I mean, they only destroyed half of the Ark.  It's possible That when the attack happened, Thor had Valkyrie and Korg take as many as they could and try to escape while he had most of the warriors with him to buy time.

Good point.  I actually Googled it later and saw that 1) the Russos stated that the Asgardians used escape ships and 2) in the footage, you can see exactly half the ship drifting away.  I think point 2 makes better sense from a narrative perspective, like Thanos had no way of knowing if 50% were on that part of the ship but he hoped for the best.

It does seem that before he got the stones and was just going planet to planet, he wasn't being super precise about the numbers. More of a "Yeah, that looks about half. FIRE!" approach. If he'd gone after earth at that time, there's every chance that rather than round up the entire population of the planet, he'd have done a survey of population density and then just killed everything in Europe and South America (for example) while leaving the other continents alone.

I'm fine with that explanation, just dumbfounded by such a glaring thing being left explained by post-film interviews and fan theory.  I'm glad I didn't overlook some obvious onscreen explanation.

Also, Thanos was a lunatic that enjoyed killing. I don't think he cared THAT much about his rules.

20 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I'm fine with that explanation, just dumbfounded by such a glaring thing being left explained by post-film interviews and fan theory.  I'm glad I didn't overlook some obvious onscreen explanation.

I honestly never even gave it too much thought until people were pointing it out online and stuff. I thought it was one of those things you kind of just theorize in your head and it's not a big deal. 

• Like 1