DVDVR Message Board

AVENGERS ENDGAME SPOILERS

Casey

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Not sure why they cut that, to be honest. I think the movie might have worked better with it.

I think so.

The funeral scene though allowed characters to be there who weren't in the final battle. It included characters who have a problem with Stark in Hank Pym and General Ross but still paid their respects.

Edited by The Natural

America has had a big debate over kneeling recently, so they wisely decided to remove it to not get weird press from either side.

Aside from all that, like 90% of the people in the clip are NOTICABLY sped up mid-kneel, making the entire clip so, so awkward looking.

• Like 3

Yeah, I know. Kaepernick started to sit through the National Anthem, then a former soldier told him that sitting was disrespectful to fallen servicemen. So as a way of showing respect to the glorious dead, he started kneeling instead (because that's how the military traditionally show respect to their fallen brothers). And then certain people with certain agendas claimed he was disrespecting the military by kneeling.

• Like 5

On 7/27/2019 at 7:54 PM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

It’s also even more noticeable that most of the actors weren’t on set together. 

Someone here said that about the funeral scene and that turned out to be wrong. Are we sure we're not just making another assumption here? 

Re: The kneeling not being in the movie, I don't mind it being cut. The movie was three hours and by the end was very heavy on sentiment and saying our goodbyes. We didn't need another beat like that. Shoot, once I watch it again I'll probably want to cut a few more minutes like that which actually made it into the final cut. 

I like the other deleted scenes though. Except the one with Tony and Pepper. But that's more about Gwyneth Paltrow than the scene itself.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

Very annoyed at my local Walmart,  went there to get the Bluray and they said they're not putting it out until noon, which makes no sense, its the day of release, they should've had it out at midnight but didn't. So I had to go a couple of stores over to Target, who was better prepared and had it out.  

I'm just annoyed and needed to vent that. I'm going to watch it again now.

Rewatching this for the third time since renting it - is there a chance that Tony's snap eliminated Thanos and his minions from alternate timelines as well? I mean, obviously the snap is powerful enough to injure Hulk and Thanos, but that was to eliminate/return 50% of ALL life across ALL known existence, that's an incredible number and amount of power required to do so. Comparitively, Tony succumbing to a snap that only killed off Then-Thanos and his army seems paltry. Hopefully purple dude was ashed in every timeline. 

One other thing I was thinking about is why Steve would want to return the Soul stone. I mean, they don't get Natasha back, and some other monster may try to get it again someday. Unlike the other stones, it wasn't nearly as protected - although I guess if alternative timeline Thanos'es are still around, returning all stones only ensures he'd try to get them in those timelines. 

Fucking time travel. 

Edited by christopher.annino

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

t that was to eliminate/return 50% of ALL life across ALL known existence

I'm not sure it was to eradicate half of life across all dimensions and realities. Just the current reality that they inhabited at that time.

Comparitively, Tony succumbing to a snap that only killed off Then-Thanos and his army seems paltry. Hopefully purple dude was ashed in every timeline. 

In order to do that, they'd have to ensure he never existed in any timeline. Which might lead to a time paradox.

One other thing I was thinking about is why Steve would want to return the Soul stone. I mean, they don't get Natasha back, and some other monster may try to get it again someday.

It was taken by Clint in 2012 (?), returned by Cap also in that year, taken by Thanos in 2018 and destroyed by Thanos in 2018. In 2023 MCU, it doesn't exist, unless someone else has time travel powers. And I don't think they're doing Kang the Conqueror any time soon (and possibly he wouldn't have any use for the Stones anyway, being not powerful enough to use them and all).

• Like 1

Yeah, I knew those were the logical answers, I was just thinking out loud and being hopeful it wasn't all tied up so neatly. I still think Tony's snap, if only to kill Thanos Inc in one timeline, shouldn't have been as intense as Thanos/Hulk. And yeah, it was every living thing (animals included as indicated by Scott seeing the birds return) on every known life-supporting planet (as mentioned by Carol). Theoretically that's a LOT more energy used than simply dismissing the enemies at the end of Endgame. 

Plus if Thanos is indeed dusted in other timelines before he gets the Stones, that means other times/universes can have other people get their hands on the Stones and create new, crazy stories. I'm not super familiar with the proper Marvel Multiverse so I suppose they'll just use that as a way to get infinite new storylines.  

If he's dusted in all realities and timelines, he can never appear in the comics again. Or possibly can never have appeared in the comics previously any more.

2 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Yeah, I knew those were the logical answers, I was just thinking out loud and being hopeful it wasn't all tied up so neatly. I still think Tony's snap, if only to kill Thanos Inc in one timeline, shouldn't have been as intense as Thanos/Hulk. And yeah, it was every living thing (animals included as indicated by Scott seeing the birds return) on every known life-supporting planet (as mentioned by Carol). Theoretically that's a LOT more energy used than simply dismissing the enemies at the end of Endgame. 

Plus if Thanos is indeed dusted in other timelines before he gets the Stones, that means other times/universes can have other people get their hands on the Stones and create new, crazy stories. I'm not super familiar with the proper Marvel Multiverse so I suppose they'll just use that as a way to get infinite new storylines.  

Thanos is a Titan, and a Mutant one at that, he was at a much higher strength/power level than Hulk, and Thor, and Cap, and pretty even with Carol. '  Only person he couldn't take one one was a focused Wanda, who's power was directly taken from the Mind Stone.  Hulk is saturated with Gamma radiation, which the stones give off when used.  He was "built" to take it, and even then it pretty much decimated his right arm to the point of being unusable during the final Battle (watched it, Hulk never uses the right arm at all.)  Tony's a straight up non-powered human, and when he had the stones assembled in the right config, the radiation was already eating through the Bleeding Edge suit.  He took a full blast gamma burst.  He pretty much died of radiation poisoning.  It works.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone answer a dumb question for me?

How did the Asgardians survive?  Didn't Thanos' crew destroy the Asgardian Ark at the start of Infinity War?  The Guardians scooped up Thor from space.  What about the rest?  I may have missed somethign, because in my mind, we go from Thanos blowing up the ship and killing them all, to Valkyrie and all the rest just chilling in New Asgard on Earth.  Anybody?

"Prior to the start of that scene, escape ships were deployed for Asgardians," Joe Russo explained, "including Valkyrie."

Valkyrie was one of the many survivors from Thanos' attack, helping lead the remaining Asgardians to safety escape pods alongside Korg and Miek, before the Mad Titan destroyed the ship and killed the remaining forces inside the Statesman.

From the MCU Wiki - cites that Russo quote at the top as a source. So whoever managed to survive Thanos' attack, escape with Valkyrie, Korg and Miek - then when the first Snap happened, presumably half of the survivors were dusted as well. It's possible that Thanos intentionally spared half of the Asgardians on the ship since he always does that type of stuff - notably to Gamora's home-world.

In reality, viewing the movies, yeah we go from that scene to the next time we see them it's they're all settled down and whatnot. But within the context of the two movies, 5 years have taken place, so that's plenty of time for everyone to just be chillin' in New Asgard.

4 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Can someone answer a dumb question for me?

How did the Asgardians survive?  Didn't Thanos' crew destroy the Asgardian Ark at the start of Infinity War?  The Guardians scooped up Thor from space.  What about the rest?  I may have missed somethign, because in my mind, we go from Thanos blowing up the ship and killing them all, to Valkyrie and all the rest just chilling in New Asgard on Earth.  Anybody?

Going by Thanos' penchant for only destroying half a population, he let half go.  I mean, they only destroyed half of the Ark.  It's possible That when the attack happened, Thor had Valkyrie and Korg take as many as they could and try to escape while he had most of the warriors with him to buy time.