DVDVR Message Board

AVENGERS ENDGAME SPOILERS

Casey

Oh, and I was so into it, when Dr. Strange made the water spout thing? And then he stared at it? I thought for a second " Sub-Mariner?" 

And Carol no selling the Thanos head butt like she was JYD made me cheer out loud.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 1

I haven’t been watching all the Marvel movies consistently over the past few phases since the first Avengers, but like The Sopranos, I couldn’t help not miss a big finale. 

I’ll say I was very entertained during it’s runtime. It wasn’t always entertaining. I didn’t care at all for Black Widow, and Hawkeye’s arc. Those characters came off as super unlikable. Especially Hawkeye, and his new Punisher persona that felt out of nowhere, and unearned. The big climactic(like a lot of these) made me drowsy. I’m 33, and these scenes don’t hold my attention anymore. 

Hulk, and Thor were indeed the best parts. The later stealing the show completely. Only issue was that it bordered on gimmick infringement of Jeff Bridges Dude. I mean I can accept one cute homage, but this was almost every single scene, including one that was clearly referencing the scene where Donny’s ashes are “spread”. The former on the other hand, had the single best scene with Ant-Man at the diner. Hopefully Hulk isn’t just going to be a token  exposition dump in these movies for the future(It’s sadly looking that way). Disney/Marvel should just bite the bullet, and get those damn Hulk movie rights from Universal, and make that solo Professor Hulk movie already.

Also no mention of Edward Norton at all in the big spectacular credits. Dude is Macho Man Randy Savage to Kevin Feige’s Vince McMahon.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Besides Cap, Natasha was the only original Avenger who really gave a shit in the 5 years between Infinity War and Endgame. Thor was getting drunk watching Korg play Fortnite, Banner locked himself in a lab for 18 months at some point, Tony just gave up everything and moved to the woods and Clint lost his entire family and went fucking crazy.

Natasha formed a pseudo Avengers team with Rocket, Captain Marvel, Okoye and War Machine to keep some kind of order since the original Avengers team broke up (again). Cap was helping ordinary citizens cope and “move on”.

I don’t see how Natasha was unlikeable, is what I’m saying. She was pretty much the heart of the movie up until she died (and after, too - since she’s the reason the soul stone was given to Clint. I’m still not convinced a Clint sacrifice would garner them the stone), since she pushed for all of this to even happen, especially in the first 20ish minutes, it was borderline desperation to redeem the situation they wound up in.

On 5/10/2019 at 7:56 AM, (BP) said:

A few things bugged me (everyone in the Spider-Man universe getting dusted to make things easier has already been mentioned. I think Peter having to contend with first-year dickhead teacher Flash or something similar in the next movie would’ve been a way to mitigate that a little.) Another dopey thing is Clint going completely off the grid and becoming an untraceable vigilante but still having the same cell phone number. That was pretty wild.

Another thing to pile on... After the snap, the worlds infrastructure is in complete shambles. Whole cities have been abandoned. Garbage is piling up because I assume nobody can run waste management. “But GODDAMMIT, we can still fund, and maintain a memorial that has all the names of the people that have been dusted in the USA!”

Edit: @Casey That’s a good point about that. I just really disliked the scene in Japan where she let’s Clint let his steam out on the Yakuza. I’ll accept her arriving later that night while Hawkeye is stuffing his sorrows with sushi, and sake after he killed all those dudes. But to be right there while he’s continuing his fascist vigilante campaign, really upset me. They could’ve arrived to that moment cleaner than they did. Heck you could’ve done all that with Clint, but had his killings off-screen. Natasha could confront him about the issue by just dropping a news article in front of him that reads “Masked Killer Continues Terrorizing The International Mob”.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

The more I think about it, the more Endgame becomes a Civil War redux to me. A thoroughly enjoyable film that coasts on great acting, character moments, and action but falls apart under any real scrutiny. 

Which isn't as much of a dig as it sounds like. I've watched Civil War like four times. That said, I don't think I *like* Endgame's highs as much as I do Civil War's so...

3 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

It's even simpler than that.

Tom Holland is a movie star now. We need to see the movie star's face and hair.

That's the REAL reason, yes. The storyline reason is Spiderman is a dumbass teen

• Like 2

I was surprised to see some people (several pages back) say that the time travel in Endgame makes it less likely that Kang is the next big bad. To me, that makes it more likely. 

The good guys now have a time machine. So now anytime anything bad happens, the question will be "Why not just go back in time and reverse it?"  The MCU is going to need to close that loophole.  They'll need to show that messing with the timeline has really bad consequences in order to explain why they don't do it anymore.  That doesn't require Kang, but he'd be one way to get there.

So, related to my last post, a lot of the plot doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Namely?

This is the ONE reality in which they win? Because like, if for whatever reason Nebula didn't go back in time? Past Thanos doesn't come forward. 

Also, I get how and why they kinda have to play the hand they're dealt when the bomb drops on them at first, but why didn't they split up the gems once Thanos was chasing them rather than leaving the completed Gauntlet together? Barring using the Gauntlet to wipe out his forces, they needed to beat Thanos' army anyway so give Carol and Thor a stone each and have them go to town, then split up the rest so they can't be easily assembled. Just...a lot of writing the characters as dumb as hell in order to get things where they needed to be.

Also, it's downright hilarious that the finger snap went from an illustrative example of how easy it is to fuck with reality using a full set of Infinity Stones and became the literal mechanism by which it's done. Infinite power requires RHYTHM!

Also, if ever there was time for a Damage Control series, doing it on Disney+ as a way to address the legal and logistical issues of both snaps would be a great idea.

Edited by The Unholy Dragon
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, tigertooth said:

The good guys now have a time machine. So now anytime anything bad happens, the question will be "Why not just go back in time and reverse it?"  The MCU is going to need to close that loophole.  

The movie pretty clearly established that doesn't work in their universe, creating branching timelines and alternate futures and such. 

25 minutes ago, (BP) said:

As far as the memorial goes, a ton of money getting raised for performative bullshit that doesn’t actually help anyone’s suffering seems pretty realistic. 

Maybe Tony paid for it?

19 minutes ago, (BP) said:

As far as the memorial goes, a ton of money getting raised for performative bullshit that doesn’t actually help anyone’s suffering seems pretty realistic. 

Some truth to that. But you’re telling me they wouldn’t also hire the same guys that help maintain those memorials to also pick up the trash that’s been built up? I mean stuff like electricity, and gas seem to still be going. So everybody in waste management disappeared?

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The movie pretty clearly established that doesn't work in their universe, creating branching timelines and alternate futures and such. 

Except it totally did work? It did everything they were hoping it would. They went back in time and fixed the Thanos problem, then Cap went back in time to (seemingly) fix the timeline problems. It worked. They got what they wanted. To put it another way - do any of the Avengers think that using the time machine wasn't a good idea in retrospect? Of course not - it was a great idea. So far, we haven't seen any negative consequences. Is it possible they've screwed over some other parallel timeline? Maybe! But they don't seem too worried about that possibility at the end of the movie.

Why wouldn't they use the time machine to fix the next catastrophe when it worked so well this time?  

I mean, I think it will turn out that there are more problems than they're currently aware of - the Loki thing being a big one - but as of right now, there's no reason for them not to use the time machine again. And that's an issue that will have to be addressed, since you don't want the "why don't they just use the time machine?" question hanging over everything.

Going back in time didn't change anything in their universe, is the point. The movie made it explicit that time travel doesn't change the present, it creates parallel universes. Hence why they had to bring the stones to the present and do their own snap, instead of going back and doing Thanos beforehand.

If Galactus shows up as eats Earth, they can't time travel back and stop him when he's a galaxy away. The Earth will still be destroyed when they get back.

• Like 5

I think the confusion with it is because we’re so conditioned by the movie logic from all the films they reference. It’s so entrenched in how we think about resolutions in time travel fiction that one can almost forget that it’s just a means to an end here and that what really saves the dusted is cosmic magic.

Incidentally, Paul Rudd in a Quantum Leap reboot should absolutely be a thing. 

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It does create the question,  why not just go get the time stone and reverse what catastrophe just happened? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Natural said:

f54a53a0130028a7-600x338.jpg

Captain America worthy to use Mjolnir and saying "Avengers Assemble" were my favourite moments of fan service in Avengers: Endgame.

They should’ve pulled a WWE, and swerved the audience just to swerve expectations. Maybe make it Hawkeye to piss people off.

• Haha 1

Hawkeye was already unworthy in Age of Ultron, and that's before he became a serial killer. Unless the Hammer has a very idiosyncratic view of what worthiness is, that would be unlikely. Although thinking about it, in Thor 1, Hemsworth couldn't lift it until he proved he was willing to sacrifice himself to save others. Whilst Barton fought to sacrifice himself to save Nat, so maybe that counts.

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Going back in time didn't change anything in their universe, is the point. The movie made it explicit that time travel doesn't change the present, it creates parallel universes. Hence why they had to bring the stones to the present and do their own snap, instead of going back and doing Thanos beforehand.

If Galactus shows up as eats Earth, they can't time travel back and stop him when he's a galaxy away. The Earth will still be destroyed when they get back.

Going back in time did change things in their universe. It let them get the Infinity Stones, allowing them to bring back half of all life in the galaxy. That's a pretty significant change!  

I get that it didn't let them make the original snap never happen, but it allowed them to do exactly what they wanted to do - bring back all the snapped people.

I agree about not being able to go back and prevent Galactus from arriving to the planet after he eats the Earth, but if Galactus shows up and is about to eat the Earth, they could go back in time and snoop around his ship to find some sort of weakness, then return to the present to bring him down. Heck, even after he eats the Earth, they could go back and grab the Infinity Gauntlet again to snap the Earth back into existence. The only downside would be that it would probably kill the person who snapped the Earth back, but relatively speaking, that'd be a small price to pay. 

Maybe this will crystallize the issue: the time machine gives you access to the Infinity Gauntlet, and the Infinity Gauntlet gives you access to do literally anything. That's a loophole they'll need to close.

Edited by tigertooth