DVDVR Message Board

AVENGERS ENDGAME SPOILERS

Casey

On 5/8/2019 at 3:10 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Them: "The world will never be the same."

Me: "...It's a movie."

This is an online vid right, not like a TV commercial? They give away so much that it would seriously be shitty to not have yet seen Endgame and this pops up while watching a show. 

At this point, they’ve been nice about not putting a lot of cool stuff in the commercials. They’ve already done most of the first time business they’re going to do among people who are concerned about going in spoiler free. I think most things are fair play. 

Spoilerphobia has jumped the shark this year.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 3

@Niners Fan in CT and @RandomAct, cool seeing how you rank the MCU movies. Here's mine:

1. Avengers Assemble (2012)

2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

3. Captain America: Civil War (2016)

4. Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

5. Iron Man (2008)

6. Avengers: Endgame (2019).

7. Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

8. Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

9. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

10. Black Panther (2018)

11. Doctor Strange (2016)

12. Thor (2011)

13. Ant-Man (2015)

14. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

15. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

16. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)

17. Captain Marvel (2019)

18. Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)

19. Iron Man 3 (2013)

20. Iron Man 2 (2010)

21. Thor: The Dark World (2013)

22. The Incredible Hulk (2008)

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 2:34 PM, Matt D said:

Hmm. So this feels like Sony might be trying to have its Spider-Verse cake and eat it too. 

Also, the trailer gives up a hell of a lot. There's a MJ moment in there that is a funny soundbyte but that would have played better in the theater.

You can definitely see how it might close out Phase III though.

Good trailer.

Funny that Tom Holland gives a spoiler warning knowing how he's blabbed in the past. See Ruffalo, Mark.

Multiverse. First mentioned in Doctor Strange (2016).

Mysterio looks great. One of many things Marvel Studios gets right is the costumes. There's only a few times they've dropped the ball.

Spider-Man unmasked is annoying. It's a trope in the Spider-Man movies and secret identities are loose in the MCU.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Spider-Man unmasked is annoying. It's a trope in the Spider-Man movies and secret identities are loose in the MCU.

It's funny, but the one time I did want a guy unmasked was Cap in the last battle of Endgame. I thought the mask distracted.

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

It's funny, but the one time I did want a guy unmasked was Cap in the last battle of Endgame. I thought the mask distracted.

Same here.

Edited by The Natural

I liked that the return to wearing the Cap mask wasn’t symbolic and was completely practical. Steve was afraid of the gauntlet and already knew how much it sucked to get punched in the face by Thanos. 

I thought this was easily better than the other three Avengers movies (although I’d still maintain that Civil War is the best ensemble movie.) It turns out giving the majority of the most stacked cast in movie history substantial emotional beats in between their green screen and mo-cap sessions leads to really great work. Hemsworth probably has the hardest job in the movie. Making Thor tragic and a punchline simultaneously shouldn’t work by any right, but he pulls it off. Kind of wish there was more Valkyrie in his storyline, since there’s an obvious parallel with the alcoholic descent after failing Asgard. Hell, Tony could’ve given him a demon in a bottle pep talk too. 

A few things bugged me (everyone in the Spider-Man universe getting dusted to make things easier has already been mentioned. I think Peter having to contend with first-year dickhead teacher Flash or something similar in the next movie would’ve been a way to mitigate that a little.) Another dopey thing is Clint going completely off the grid and becoming an untraceable vigilante but still having the same cell phone number. That was pretty wild.

Edited by (BP)

13 hours ago, Casey said:

"TV spot" means.... a spot on tv?

Can't see the entire video title on my phone, homie ?

I should add that doesn't spoil anything for me that they put all the stuff in the commercials, but I have a good friend who is the biggest comic book fan I have ever known but he is epileptic, so seeing stuff in the theater is difficult. I'm sure by this point he knows the basic facts, but is still excited to see how it plays out. He knew that everybody was going to come back, he knew the good guys were going to win, and I'm sure he knew that Captain America was going to pick up Mjolnir - it just sucks for him that the visual that we all got the mark out for has been kind of ruined for him because that's not even the best shot.

Edited by christopher.annino

28 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I'm sure he knew that Captain America was going to pick up Mjolnir

I would have pegged that as difficult to predict, actually, seeing as Mjolnir was destroyed in Thor: Ragnarok.

• Like 2

On 5/8/2019 at 7:28 PM, odessasteps said:

GROUCH MARX.

Not sure what's better: the visual of mutated Edward G Robinson yelling "HULK SMASH NOW, SEE?" or how Bela Lugosi's character name-checked the robot in "The Phantom Creeps."

Spoiler

"My Iron Man"

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, (BP) said:

A few things bugged me (everyone in the Spider-Man universe getting dusted to make things easier has already been mentioned. I think Peter having to contend with first-year dickhead teacher Flash or something similar in the next movie would’ve been a way to mitigate that a little.) Another dopey thing is Clint going completely off the grid and becoming an untraceable vigilante but still having the same cell phone number. That was pretty wild.

On the second viewing that hit me. Did he continue to pay her cell phone bill for five years? Did he leave her cell phone on the charger in the house where she got dusted? 

What happens if you got dusted while in an elevator, do you just show up where the elevator was and plummet to your death? 

Yes. Almost everyone who was driving on the Freeway when they dusted was run over and killed on returning. Not to mention anyone on an Aeroplane or Cruise Liner.

I wonder how many people who skipped Captain Marvel and went straight to Endgame then had to go and watch CM, since this movie did absolutely nothing to tell you who she was or where she came from*. Even the CM post-credits scene of her showing up at Avengers HQ wasn't in this movie.

* I mean, even in 2012's Avengers they did do a bit to establish who Captain America, New Hulk, Loki and Thor were in case people hadn't seen their solo debuts. Hawkeye was probably the most shorted, because most people didn't even realise who he was when he was in Thor (whilst Black Widow got plenty of build up in Iron Man 2).

Well, by the same shoddy logic that preserves 2014 "Tony says 'Who?'" Gamora, you could wave away all those potentially tragic un-dustings as people who landed "safely" because the Gauntlet read his intentions and just air-mailed them to their homes, like babies dropped off by the stork.  The Stark Stork?

Pretty sure the space station just picked up my eye roll.  Time Travel Sucks.

But was Laura Barton really using the same cell?  Maybe it was a landline and Clint covered the upkeep on the farm.  Pics or it didn't happen that it was his wife's cell and not a landline.  Those are still things.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

And all of that happened because Tony did not want to erase his daughter.

Needs of the many ... 

*Undusted me drinking whole grain alcohol at the christening for my wife’s child with her new husband.

”Fucking Stark kid better cure cancer is all I’m saying...” 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

We just got back from seeing it and I fucking loved it. Dear Mr. Fantasy to open the film made me so happy.  And it's wild, I watched Winter Soldier this afternoon while doing laundry and there were a few call backs to it, the best being Falcon saying , " On your left." as the portals appear. I popped huge.

• Like 3